Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone use a good step or stool to get into the bed?

dm6

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but I am very short at 5'6" (when the tailgate is down, it hits me a little above the waist) so it is not the most convenient thing to put stuff in the back. I can basically just reach enough to put something at the very back of the bed but for anything more, I have to get inside. I do have the built in step so at least that is nice to get in it, but I am just thinking something to be able to reach in further. Even when I am parked up against a curb or something, just that 4 extra inches of height from the curb makes it a lot easier. Just thought I'd see what all you guys that aren't 6 foot do :)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
AMP makes a side step.

Some use a wheel step.

Some have installed a folding ladder step on the tailgate.

You could also get a set of these. Sorry, couldn't resist.

063b7cba8a679eeaddfb509ffbb9e604.jpg

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
Im 6'2" and still hate getting in the bed. This has been one of my favorite truck accessory purchases of all time.

It's almost like a game now to see if i can use this bar to load and unload my bed from the ground.

dm6

Reaction score
Im 6'2" and still hate getting in the bed. This has been one of my favorite truck accessory purchases of all time.

It's almost like a game now to see if i can use this bar to load and unload my bed from the ground.
That's a good idea. I'll have to see if stuff would slide though on my bed mat. The best bet is probably making the kids go up in the bed while I hand them stuff!

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
I found a really good review and purchased one of these myself after reading about a member on here with one. It doubles as a decent road-side toolbox and fuel additive tray for me as well. Super sturdy and is a really decent step up. Very sturdy, cannot say enough good things. Little pricey for a step but I find it's quality worth every penny and after 2 failed attempts at finding solutions and almost buying the much more expensive AMP step, I went with this and will never look back. Plus it doubles as a step up for engine bay work.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what I selected for my application:

Here is a tool that will solve a few common issues for me at various times. It will be used to help me step in or out of my camper. It will also help me unlock and lock the clasps on my FWC - right now I stand on the door sill or the rear bumper. This will also serve as a nice seat inside the camper when the top is still closed. Of course, it can be used as an extra seat around the campfire also. My friend had an older Rubbermaid unit he let me borrow and it was great but unfortunately they stopped making those a decade or so ago.

index.php

I have an old one that's similar but wider that has sat outside for probably 15 years and still works when I need a little step or something to sit on while cleaning the wheels and such. Possibly a Husky brand, I don't recall.

jleonard

Reaction score
I installed a foldup Amp step as show in the picture. I also use a standard boat hook to reach or push stuff around in the bed. Most everything can slide with a little force on my bed mat,

Attachments

• IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    618.4 KB · Views: 94

CdnHO

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but I am very short at 5'6" (when the tailgate is down, it hits me a little above the waist) so it is not the most convenient thing to put stuff in the back. I can basically just reach enough to put something at the very back of the bed but for anything more, I have to get inside. I do have the built in step so at least that is nice to get in it, but I am just thinking something to be able to reach in further. Even when I am parked up against a curb or something, just that 4 extra inches of height from the curb makes it a lot easier. Just thought I'd see what all you guys that aren't 6 foot do :)
Get and Amp bed step. Easy install and folds out of the way when not needed,

sludge

Reaction score
I installed a foldup Amp step as show in the picture. I also use a standard boat hook to reach or push stuff around in the bed. Most everything can slide with a little force on my bed mat,
Had this on my 2500. It really helped.

dm6

Reaction score
Get and Amp bed step. Easy install and folds out of the way when not needed,
Yeah, I do have the factory fold up step that is like that and it works good for getting in the bed. I guess I just meant a stool to reach in a little further without having to get in. I like the pole idea too. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Truckman

Reaction score
I carry a 2 step step stool, just folds up and throw it in the bed.

Swrock

Reaction score
I have a plastic step that don't weigh nothing that we used for my wife to get in and out of the cab until I got my running boards.
Cheap and easy but its light so if you leave it in the bed it would blow out.20220312_185759.jpg

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I have one of these work platforms that I use when loading things up on the rack. I haven't used it just getting into the bed, but suppose it could just as easily serve that purpose.

GLWP-47-Image_2.png

dm6

Reaction score
How high is that? That might be a good idea for washing the truck too. I am always afraid I am going to tip the ladder when I am leaning over and it will fall against the truck and scratch it.

I have one of these work platforms that I use when loading things up on the rack. I haven't used it just getting into the bed, but suppose it could just as easily serve that purpose.

GLWP-47-Image_2.png

DammitDave

Reaction score
39660782.png

Harbor Freight ! Very stable to stand on, doesn't blow out of the bed, and yet cheap enough if someone walked off with it, I would just go get another one !

dm6

Reaction score
39660782.png

Harbor Freight ! Very stable to stand on, doesn't blow out of the bed, and yet cheap enough if someone walked off with it, I would just go get another one !
Gotta love Harbor Freight! Or hate it, depending on what you get there :) That looks like a good one, I'll go check it out. Thanks.

dddoug

Reaction score
I have used this Beach Lane tail gate ladder on my Ram 1500 and my current 2500. Look on Amazon for about $65.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I may have to look in to the harbor freight step. Reaching in to the bed with a dually from the side with a 5th wheel hooked up can be a pain in the arse.

Users who are viewing this thread