Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know what this plug is for under the drivers seat?

Rappr

Reaction score
For my 3500 Tradesman this plug is not used. I am looking for a wire that I can tap into under the seat that is hot when in run

Attachments

• C60AA2BC-FD82-414C-BB9E-08F991ED6EAF.jpeg
    C60AA2BC-FD82-414C-BB9E-08F991ED6EAF.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 217

Rappr

Reaction score
Seat heater maybe?
Maybe, of course it could also be for power seats. What I need is for someone with power seats to look under their seat and see if this plug is connected to their seat.

DarkNight

Reaction score
IMG_6072.jpg
Looks like the correct plug by the wire colors. If so I can only tell you they are going to some control boxes under the seat right above and to the right of the pictured plug. I do have heated and cooled seats with electronic adjustments on a 2019 Laramie 2500. If you need better pictures let me know. It was raining when I took this so I hurried a little.

Last edited:

Rappr

Reaction score
View attachment 4211
Looks like the correct plug by the wire colors. If so I can only tell you they are going to some control boxes under the seat right above and to the right of the pictured plug. I do have heated and cooled seats with electronic adjustments on a 2019 Laramie 2500. If you need better pictures let me know. It was raining when I took this so I hurried a little.
Thanks, thats what I thought. Now I know that it will work for my project. Awesome

thestuarts

Reaction score
I believe the Tech Authority documentation confirms that is for the Comfort Seat Wheel Module (CSWM). Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring diagram to help you decide which wire to splice into.

"A CSWM is used to control the front heated seat system. The CSWM responds to heated seat switch messages and ignition switch status inputs by controlling the 12 volt Direct Current (DC) output to the front seat heating elements through integral solid-state relays."

1588341243351.png

1588341301178.png

Rappr

Reaction score
I believe the Tech Authority documentation confirms that is for the Comfort Seat Wheel Module (CSWM). Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring diagram to help you decide which wire to splice into.

"A CSWM is used to control the front heated seat system. The CSWM responds to heated seat switch messages and ignition switch status inputs by controlling the 12 volt Direct Current (DC) output to the front seat heating elements through integral solid-state relays."

View attachment 4248

View attachment 4249
Thanks, I will get out my multimeter and get busy

thestuarts

Reaction score
Thanks, I will get out my multimeter and get busy

I don't know if this will help you at all, but the CSWM module mentions these inputs, outputs, and hardwires.

Inputs
  • Vehicle Interior temperature from the HVAC module
  • Ignition State from BCM
  • Ambient Air Temperature from BCM
  • Vehicle Configuration from BCM
  • Left front heated/vented switch request gated from BCM
  • Right front heated/vented switch request gated from BCM
  • Remote Start status gated from BCM
  • Engine run state gated from BCM
Outputs
  • Left front heated status
  • Right front heated status
  • Left front vented status
  • Right front vented status
Hardwire
  • Left front heated seat switch to pad/cushion
  • Right front heated seat switch to pad/cushion
  • Left front vented seat switch to pad/cushion
  • Right front vented seat switch to pad/cushion
  • Heated Steering Wheel feed command
  • Heated Steering Wheel feed return

JinwA

Reaction score
What are trying to power? The reason I ask is if a hot in run wire dedicated to another application is used and power is routed through one of the motherboards. You can fry it. Much more of a problem than just finding an unused hot in run circuit at the fuse box. I cannot tell you how many pieces of heavy equipment I lost main boards in because of someone doing this. These trucks are no different. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Rappr

Reaction score
What are trying to power? The reason I ask is if a hot in run wire dedicated to another application is used and power is routed through one of the motherboards. You can fry it. Much more of a problem than just finding an unused hot in run circuit at the fuse box. I cannot tell you how many pieces of heavy equipment I lost main boards in because of someone doing this. These trucks are no different. Just a thought.

It worked, no issues. I was just being lazy and wanted to know if anyone else had done it before.

Since they didn’t, I did the research, ran the wires, soldered them in and...viola...12VDC plug under the back seat

johanh13

Reaction score

View attachment 4248

View attachment 4249
Hey, do you have documentation that would show the wiring and install location for the power running board module? I would very much like to see it if you do, thanks!

thestuarts

Reaction score
Hey, do you have documentation that would show the wiring and install location for the power running board module? I would very much like to see it if you do, thanks!

I just replied to your other thread on the power running boards.

Jackmup

Reaction score
I have a 2020 tradesman, i would like to put a power driver seat in it. has anyone done this?
would like power seat as a priority maybe heated but i do not know if the vinyl seats will appreciate being heated so thats not a big deal if i cant. I did see some used seats from 4th gens i could rob for parts but...i think id rather go brandy new in my new truck.
does anyone know if the unused harness is the power supply for a power seat?
i've got to get with parts dept to see if they offer an entire power seat frame.

JinwA

Reaction score
Unless you want cooled seats, stick with the cloth ones. I opted for them when I ordered my new truck because of the ability of easy cleaning, You won’t sweat your — off if the cooling fails in the summer, and they think too much of the seats for the price.
Unless the optional seats were part of a type 2 package I would say the wires are already there just disconnected.

Jackmup

Reaction score
I Have the vinyl and its really nice, i'm too messy for cloth...covered in grease, diesel and mud. just cant take me anywhere.
but i would like a power seat.

JinwA

Reaction score
I had my 2007 and worked as a heavy equipment mechainic in the field. I drove that truck every day. I had more than one oh **** grease smeared moment. Still cleaned up, still looked acceptable at 190K and 12 years of use.

Ruffone

Reaction score
I had the cloth seats in my 2006 2500 and they sucked. I had them treated when I bought the truck new but yet they stained like crazy. I had sweat stains on them from kids in the back seats. I got the leather heated / cooled seats in my 2019 2500 and I love them, I won’t ever go back to the cloth seats.

Users who are viewing this thread