Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have vibrations after installing aftermarket tires and wheels?

relbus

Reaction score
I have had a vibration since installing my Methods and Ridge graps. Discount has replaced the ridge graps after attempting to balance multiple times.
They then suggested switching to Fuel wheels, since they include hub centric rings. I do not really like any of the fuel wheels enough to switch out to them.
I also contacted CJC, and they told me they install method 25 to 1 vs Fuel and never have issues.
Most recently I installed Balance master active wheel balancers and vibration is even worse. BM has you remove wheel weights...so perhaps this is why?

I have about had it. Prob should have stuck with stock wheels. Truck is my daily and I cant put up with this nonsense anymore.

Anyone else had issues?

Highcountry

Reaction score
It sounds like a balance issue. I'd find a shop willing to spend a little time with them, rather than just adding weight. Sometimes you can get the balance a lot closer to start with by rotating the tire on the wheel before adding weight. I prefer it when I can get away with stick on weights on the back side of the wheel. You didn't mention the size of tire, but the larger it is the more a vibration will be magnified

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Pull the tire off the rim and check it for balance. It should be natural. If not, rim is bad. Then mount the tire, if it wont balance, then the tire is bad.
Been there, done that with several different manufacturers tires.
You run them and balance them. Add weights where they say to. The run them again to check and it says you need more weights in other spots.
That means the belts have shifted in the molding process and you will never get them to balance.
Also if it takes more than 4 oz of weight to balance, tire is bad.

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
I had vibrations at around 60 mph on my wrangler after installing ProComp wheels and 35's. They balanced out fine and after the 2nd time, I watched them do it and had them spin the tire on the wheel if too much weight was used. I had just about given up when I decided to rotate the tires myself in the garage, carefully ensuring the non-hubcentric wheels were perfectly installed and torqued by hand. The vibrations went away so I figured that was that.

I had Discount rotate the tires the next time and the vibrations were back. I jacked up the front of the Jeep, loosened the wheels and carefully reinstalled them in the same spot. Boom, no more vibrations. With big tires and non-hubcentric wheels, special care needs to be taken when installing the wheels, not just hitting them with an impact gun like they often do.

I don't know if this will help, but it worked for me.

jadmt

Reaction score
Pull the tire off the rim and check it for balance. It should be natural. If not, rim is bad. Then mount the tire, if it wont balance, then the tire is bad.
Been there, done that with several different manufacturers tires.
You run them and balance them. Add weights where they say to. The run them again to check and it says you need more weights in other spots.
That means the belts have shifted in the molding process and you will never get them to balance.
Also if it takes more than 4 oz of weight to balance, tire is bad.
Toyo says it can take up to 1% of total tire/wheel weight so a 100lb tire/wheel combo can take up to 1lb of weight. Tirerack says the same. I have had tires take well over 4 ounces and when balanced be smooth as silk up to at least 100 mph.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So that must be for a huge tire. I've never seen a lot of weight on a 35 or 37 other that super swampers, but they are known for being out of balance bad.
Also when you go with big tires with big sidewalls, it's better to go with balance beads in the tire.
I've been running them for years, even in my motorcycle tires. Never had an issue.

mcspeed

Reaction score
Have the seller replace them. Don’t take no for an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drsuperfly

Reaction score
Toyo says it can take up to 1% of total tire/wheel weight so a 100lb tire/wheel combo can take up to 1lb of weight. Tirerack says the same. I have had tires take well over 4 ounces and when balanced be smooth as silk up to at least 100 mph.
I know this is an older thread but for anyone who may read,I also have run 35x12.50s and similar sizes , many different brands of tires on many different stock wheels and after market wheels on many different trucks, SUVs and Jeeps and one thing I can also say from those years of experience is that it is not uncommon for that size of tires to take even as much as 7-8 ounces of weights but one thing I can say for sure is if they are balanced to Zero‘d out they will be smooth as silk and often rotations is very important in keeping them running smooth, like every 3k-5k miles tops. Any 4 wheel drive vehicle makes those often rotations even more important. Once a tire starts to cup or have visible uneven wear, it is much harder to wear back in smooth again even once rotated. I have also found that some tires, maybe brand, maybe tread patterns, who knows exactly why but once they have run say 3k-5k miles and broke in a while rolling in that direction( installed on driver side or passenger side) and then from being rotated corner to corner instead of from front to back, causing the tire now to be running at highway speeds in the opposite direction can cause the tire not to perform as well and many time cause vibration. Many times just changing the order of the rotation for a tire that seems to have that effect will cause a totally different outcome. I hope some of this may help now or in time to come.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
I hear aftermarket rims are milled flat where they interface with the hub, and if you leave the spring clips that hold the rotors in place for assembly the rim will not sit 100% flat with the hub and can cause a vibration too. Just an FYi

flan

Reaction score
I pulled my wheels today for some suspension parts installation so pulled the clips off while I was at it. 1st photo is of clips, 2nd is a aftermarket wheel, 3rd is a pic of my factory steelie. On the aftermarket wheel you can see where the hub wasn’t making contact in 2 spots right across from each other.

83DCA6A3-FD0B-42EC-A8BD-05C102B6EBBB.jpeg3F749EF3-3D13-4D44-A11C-35B420757F0A.jpegA7CCD131-D431-478D-914C-B23131053046.jpeg

Drsuperfly

Reaction score
I pulled my wheels today for some suspension parts installation so pulled the clips off while I was at it. 1st photo is of clips, 2nd is a aftermarket wheel, 3rd is a pic of my factory steelie. On the aftermarket wheel you can see where the hub wasn’t making contact in 2 spots right across from each other.

View attachment 34315View attachment 34316View attachment 34317
That is good observation and great pictures for illustration. Were you getting vibration with your after market wheels installed that way and if so did it make any difference afterwards? Curious because I have seen that in times past on vehicles I have had but always removed them beforehand. Never did run them that way. With the after marker wheels, that is.

Last edited:

DammitDave

Reaction score
Just another note, I always make sure the tire shop has a "road force" balance machine, it simulates the tire on a vehicle while they balance it.

flan

Reaction score
That is good observation and great pictures for illustration. Were you getting vibration with your after market wheels installed that way and if so did it make any difference afterwards? Curious because I have seen that in times past on vehicles I have had but always removed them beforehand. Never did run them that way. With the after marker wheels, that is.
I thought I may of had the very slightest, but I tend to pick up on things others would not. I’d ask someone riding shotgun if they feel that and they look at me crazy lol. I have not had a chance to get it up on the highway since removing them yesterday, I will report back when I do.

Drsuperfly

Reaction score
I thought I may of had the very slightest, but I tend to pick up on things others would not. I’d ask someone riding shotgun if they feel that and they look at me crazy lol. I have not had a chance to get it up on the highway since removing them yesterday, I will report back when I do.
I hear ya. I am the same way. Sometimes that feels like it might be a curse but it is good overall. It’s always good to be aware of what is going on. Being able to detect those changes or undesired effects before they get much worse is a blessing.

Reaction score
I just put on my summer set of aftermarket rims and tires this past weekend. Only issue I’m running into is the tpms air pressure issues.

Attachments

• F3F7AC6A-1969-499E-9656-9D982BC2EA5F.jpeg
    F3F7AC6A-1969-499E-9656-9D982BC2EA5F.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 16

gimmie11s

Reaction score

View attachment 34315View attachment 34316View attachment 34317

Definitely should have removed those clips prior to installed aftermarket wheels.. im surprised you weren't getting some vibs.

flan

Reaction score
Definitely should have removed those clips prior to installed aftermarket wheels.. im surprised you weren't getting some vibs.
Yep, live and learn. I never even gave those clips a second thought until I saw someone post about it on another board.

Users who are viewing this thread