Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone familiar with P1521 code?

copper93

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of a P1521 code. It’s for incorrect oil used. I had to order 0W40 Penzoil Ultra from Amazon. I couldn’t find it anywhere. I could find 0W40 for European vehicles but it doesn’t meet the requirements given for the 6.4.

Even though I used the correct oil, it still showed a P1521 code, incorrect oil used, when I took it to the dealer. The truck sits in the driveway for extended periods, 3 week this time, and I pretty much only drive it when towing. I started it yesterday and it sounder like a lifter was coming out the of the engine. i turned it off and restarted again and same thing. called the dealer and told them I was bringing it in, still index the CPO warranty. Started it again after getting off the phone, quiet as a church mouse. Took it in anyway just to be checked out. They called today and said it was showing a P1521 code, wrong oil, and wanted to do an oil change. The last oil change was May 25th, less that 1000 miles. i told them to go ahead even though I know I used the correct oil and Mopar filter. We’ll see what happens. I’m afraid they will try to void any warranty claims.

Users who are viewing this thread