Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else just not all that impressed with their new Ram HD?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I kind of miss my Ford diesel superduty to be completely honest. I just like the smoothness of it compared to a Ram Cummins. I know the Cummins gets better mpg and whatnot, and is probably a better engine, but its just unexciting to drive and feels sluggish to me. I've had 2 Cummins powered Rams (18 and 19), while the 2019 is improved in all areas, after owning it 6 months, I'm just not excited to drive it. The interior is great though, but I'm disappointed with the same old cab size, box is the same size, etc. GM and Ford have a modern cab size with more room. I honestly don't care about the 12" touchscreen. Its froze up on me so many times, that I'd rather have actual buttons for a lot of the functions. Also, the center console I thought was cool when I got it, but now I'm not crazy about it. Good in concept, but the door flap that flips up to prevent things from sliding from side to side never stays up and I have things in the front of the console slider underneath and I can't reach them while I'm driving. Really annoying! The Ram just feels dated. Why not have a true 5th gen HD? I've really been questioning about how long I will keep this truck. By no means is Ford perfect. I think their service at any Ford dealer that I've been to is terrible.

If I make a change it'll be to a Laramie with a gas engine or a Ford SD powerstroke

GtownTx

Reaction score
Dude you should totally go back to what you prefer. How does venting to the interwebs solve anything?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Just seeing if other owners feel the same way.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
Love my HD Ram. To be honest, I've never seen a Ford of any kind that I liked. I remember sitting in a top of the line truck at an auto show (King Ranch or something) and I couldn't get over how cheap and plasticy the interior was.

When I was looking for my first full size truck 20+ years ago, we looked at each of the big 3. Chevy's were nice but the interior was kind of meh.... The Dodge had a much nicer lay out, with larger controls making it easier to work with gloves on. Seats and ride were much snooyin the Ram too. I can't recall anything memorable about the Ford but it has been many years.

I liked the Dodge so much that we didn't bother looking at anything else when buying my new Ram

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Klinger

Reaction score
I’ve always had fords. Just sold my 1999 f350 stroke i ordered. I feel confident going with Ram. I did drive a 2019 F350 but cab still seems a lot like my 1999. Yeah some changes. But I feel the Cummins s HO was a better solution to my 20K RV

Buppies

Reaction score
We own Ford and Ram trucks currently F450, Ram2500, Ram4500 and new Ram 2500. Each one serves a purpose and we are happy with our choices. I personally drive the 19 2500 and came from an F250. The interior is nicer handles better and as I get older easier to get into. All are used in our business no regrets here

ahhhr

Reaction score
Im really happy with my cummins HO.
No problems so far - the shifting could be a bit better for stop and go but Im surprised how well it handles the mountain roads.
Super comfortable seat and interior.

npurdy1112

Reaction score
No complaints so far with my 2019 3500 gas. I may not drive or work it as much others but a nice upgrade over my 2014 ram.

I was tempted to hold off for the same spec truck in fords new 7.3 gas, but felt like i got a good deal on my current.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I love my 19 t'man. I did drive a 19 f250 to compare but the ram won.

Ruffone

Reaction score
My personal vehicle is a 19’ 2500 6.4 and my work truck is a F150 eco boost. This is my 4th Ram, all different gens, and my 3rd Ford at work, all 3 different gens as well. One of the big pluses for the Dodges / Rams throughout the years is that I have never had any interior shakes or rattles in any of them, not so much in my Fords. I like resting my left arm on the window / door sill when the windows are open, the way that Ford stepped their window / door sill down is the most obnoxious thing they have ever done. It’s very uncomfortable. Up until my 19’ Ram with the active noise cancelling the Fords have always had a quieter interior overall, now the Ram wins hands down. The tranny in my current Ford shifts hard and locks up occasionally whereas the new 8 speed tranny in my Ram shifts like butter. The interior of the new Rams is heads above its competitors. But for the most part, each vehicle and each generation has had its pluses and minuses. To me the Dodges / Rams have had more pluses throughout the years than the Fords have had, plus I have always preferred the styling of the Dodges / Rams.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I guess I look at it this way coming from a 19 F350 Lariat....Ford wins in transmission smoothness, acceleration, power, etc. When my cummins idles to warm it up here in MN, its pretty loud. I know the neighbors dont like it at 3am. The Powerstroke was quieter when warming up last winter. For some reason I'm in love with that damn twin panel moonroof in the Ford.

Ram wins in towing, handling the trailer and the towing connections (chain hookups and 7-pin connector), also the interior and the cummins gets better mpg. I couldn't get 21 mpg with the Ford no matter what I did. With the Ford I had a lot of issues with the 7 pin connector filling up with ice/snow, mold and acid forming on the pins, etc. Ford replaced it twice and still gave me problems. My Ford did not squeak, rattle, pop, or clunk like this Ram has started to do since it got cold out. My last 3 Rams have felt clunky and sounded clunky (2017, 2018, 2019). I guess I'm just a complainer and always like new trucks to have.

Ckhd

Reaction score
I have a 2017 f250 platinum 6.7.

Had death wobble, fixed it with a fox steering stabilizer. Now it’s in the shop getting the panoramic moonroof getting fixed because it won’t shut.

90k on the odo

I love the truck.

Contemplating a 2020 3500 mega or a 2020 f350 platinum. Either one will get the Carli treatment.

Thanks for your insight.

U

User_1648

Just sold my '17 F350 Platinum. Great truck, but I too experienced death wobble with it so much that I simply couldn't deal with it any longer. So...bought my current truck, '19 Ram 3500, and so far I love it. It's got all the bells and whistles my Platinum had. Perfect!

JBurt

Reaction score
I have a 2016 F-150 Lariat (my 1st truck ever) and will be switching to a Heavy Duty truck this spring. I'm so on the fence on either ordering a new RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 or Ford F-250 7.3. The Mega Cab is so damn nice and the RAM interiors are hands down the best of any truck. But I love the Ford Aluminum body that won't rust and the panoramic sunroof in my F150. Doesn't matter if it's the RAM or Ford Forums, they all seem to have mechanical issues in their trucks. But that crazy death wobble in the Ford Super Duties I keep reading about is a huge concern and has me freaked out. I don't want to put my family, myself, and others on the road in danger because the truck starts shaking violently at highway speeds. Leaning towards the RAM foresure. Would love more input from Ford owners that switched to RAM. All the brands have their perks and drawbacks.

Bob_ag

Reaction score
I have a 2016 F-150 Lariat (my 1st truck ever) and will be switching to a Heavy Duty truck this spring. I'm so on the fence on either ordering a new RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 or Ford F-250 7.3. The Mega Cab is so damn nice and the RAM interiors are hands down the best of any truck. But I love the Ford Aluminum body that won't rust and the panoramic sunroof in my F150. Doesn't matter if it's the RAM or Ford Forums, they all seem to have mechanical issues in their trucks. But that crazy death wobble in the Ford Super Duties I keep reading about is a huge concern and has me freaked out. I don't want to put my family, myself, and others on the road in danger because the truck starts shaking violently at highway speeds. Leaning towards the RAM foresure. Would love more input from Ford owners that switched to RAM. All the brands have their perks and drawbacks.

I switched just recently from a 2014 Ford F150 and originally planned to upgrade to an F250 with either the 6.2 or 7.3, but was still eyeballing the Rams. I test drove both and honestly they were fine. The 7.3 didn't blow me away and I could feel it running through the gears quite noticeably as it is a 10 speed. The 6.2 was very similar driving wise to my 5.0 V8, but mated to a better transmission.

First, I was not looking to spend a ton of money as I work out of my vehicle, am pretty hard on them, and put a lot of miles on in a year. I was basically looking at the XL with STX package and some bells and whistles here and there like chrome group, power equipment, larger infortainment, etc. Well, my wife was not having it and said it was too much like a work truck and did not like the seats or middle bench (my last truck had leather and was pretty nice inside). So, to go up one trim level we are talking about $10k or so whick I was really trying to avoid. I started noticing the Ram 2500 Tradesmans and was pretty impressed that I could get a four wheel drive crew cab, 8.4" screen, rear A/C (big one for kiddos living in TX), some pretty nice seats with a much better center console/bench in a base level, and other cool things like LED bed lighting, clearance lamps for less than $38K. Then I drove a few with the 6.4L and I was super impressed with the motor and transmission. That pretty much sealed the deal for me and I love my truck.

In all honestly, I think I would have been happy with either brand, but I definitely feel like the Ram 2500 I bought is a great value and great looking truck. Of course they can all get expensive at the higher trims, but I think the 6.4 with 8 speed is one of the best kept secrets on the market right now. Extremely fun to drive.

dwjez14

Reaction score
Mine has been problems. I am thinking of going back to gmc new Denali hd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread