Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody running 15-40 in 19+ CTD

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Fuel dilution can be caused by excessive active or automatic regens or cause excessive soot load based regens.

56ram2500

Reaction score
Active regen is activated by one of two things.

Time, at most 24 hours since the last active regen complete.

Soot loading, which is indicated by ~45% on the EVIC DPF gauge.
Photo of DPF soot load just before what dealer said was a passive regen, next photo shows DPF at zero after said passive regen, next one show the auto regen message. I was told the DPF will regen between 12-15%, another reason I was surprised it had a regen with such low soot load as I'm almost 100% sure I had seen soot load at a higher level before a regen, but then the dealer is always right and we owners know nothing :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3273.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 9

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Photo of DPF soot load just before what dealer said was a passive regen, next photo shows DPF at zero after said passive regen, next one show the auto regen message. I was told the DPF will regen between 12-15%, another reason I was surprised it had a regen with such low soot load as I'm almost 100% sure I had seen soot load at a higher level before a regen, but then the dealer is always right and we owners know nothing :oops:

It looks like you went into a time based regen since your soot loading was low. No matter what your driving style does for passive regen the 24 hour active regen will still occur.

Regen occurs at ~45% soot loading based on the EVIC gauge.

56ram2500

Reaction score
So it should do its regen at 45% soot load or 24 hrs, okay I can understand that as you don't want it packed, but mine did a passive regen around 12-15% then I will assume the next regen 15 miles later was a 24 hr regen, but if mine is doing regens at 12-15 that the dealer claims is completely normal regen timing then early regens may be part of the reason I had 4.7% fuel in the oil in 4743 miles and see oil growth again on my dip stick after truck sitting 90 minutes with the dip stick pulled out 6 inched during wait time ( at the time it had about 1300 miles on the oil), of course was told by dealer nothing to worry about or be concerned, its a real small amount of oil growth :(

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpg
    IMG_3226.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 16

tchur1

Reaction score
So it should do its regen at 45% soot load or 24 hrs, okay I can understand that as you don't want it packed, but mine did a passive regen around 12-15% then I will assume the next regen 15 miles later was a 24 hr regen, but if mine is doing regens at 12-15 that the dealer claims is completely normal regen timing then early regens may be part of the reason I had 4.7% fuel in the oil in 4743 miles and see oil growth again on my dip stick after truck sitting 90 minutes with the dip stick pulled out 6 inched during wait time ( at the time it had about 1300 miles on the oil), of course was told by dealer nothing to worry about or be concerned, its a real small amount of oil growth :(
I think 1 thing to clarify for you here - passive regen is occurs when the motor is working hard enough to build enough heat to burn off soot in the DPF, mainly when towing or running over 75 mph on the freeway. This does not introduce additional fuel into the system to create the heat needed to burn off soot, and is a good/healthy way to keep the truck clean. The truck doesn't go into "passive regen" mode, it just burns off passively as you drive because the exhaust temps are hot.

Active regen is where the truck is adding additional fuel into the system to create the heat needed to burn off soot in the DPF, this occurs when you hit ~45% on the EVIC gauge or 24 hours of engine run time.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
If you are getting fuel in the oil without excessive active regens then you have either a leaking injector or some other type of fuel leak in the engine.
It could be a seal leaking in the HPFP.

56ram2500

Reaction score
I think 1 thing to clarify for you here - passive regen is occurs when the motor is working hard enough to build enough heat to burn off soot in the DPF, mainly when towing or running over 75 mph on the freeway. This does not introduce additional fuel into the system to create the heat needed to burn off soot, and is a good/healthy way to keep the truck clean. The truck doesn't go into "passive regen" mode, it just burns off passively as you drive because the exhaust temps are hot.

Active regen is where the truck is adding additional fuel into the system to create the heat needed to burn off soot in the DPF, this occurs when you hit ~45% on the EVIC gauge or 24 hours of engine run time.
This truck has not seen 75 mph since last September, it might see 65 if its lucky, right now it packing about 2k load in the bed, longest hwy time is 18-20 miles once a week... As for passive regens your giving me more info about them then the dealer who tell me passive also dumps fuel in the exhaust to burn the soot, god I wish they would send them to school to learn about this or give them a cheat sheet with answers to common questions...

A BIG Thank you for all of your help.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
This truck has not seen 75 mph since last September, it might see 65 if its lucky, right now it packing about 2k load in the bed, longest hwy time is 18-20 miles once a week... As for passive regens your giving me more info about them then the dealer who tell me passive also dumps fuel in the exhaust to burn the soot, god I wish they would send them to school to learn about this or give them a cheat sheet with answers to common questions...

The problem you are having with the dealer is not uncommon. They usually are very knowledgeable or know nothing about them. And some couldn’t care less.

tchur1

Reaction score

Ya no worries. Frustrating that the dealer doesnt understand the difference between passive and active regen. 2k in the bed running on the highway for that time could generate enough heat to start burning soot.

56ram2500

Reaction score
Ya no worries. Frustrating that the dealer doesnt understand the difference between passive and active regen. 2k in the bed running on the highway for that time could generate enough heat to start burning soot.
The reason for weight in bed was to put a stop to you need to work it harder/tow more, I found out the trailer I tow now and then because does not have electric brakes it does not count as tow miles :mad: so out of the 11k on the truck it only shows 13.x tow miles all from my old box trailer...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately 2K in the bed isn’t much in terms of needing the engine to work harder. I’ve even drug a 2500lb landscape trailer and still had to get above 75 mph to get a good passive regen in less than 45 minutes of driving.

Lots of great threads on here discussing active and passive regen.

56ram2500

Reaction score
Unfortunately 2K in the bed isn’t much in terms of needing the engine to work harder. I’ve even drug a 2500lb landscape trailer and still had to get above 75 mph to get a good passive regen in less than 45 minutes of driving.

Lots of great threads on here discussing active and passive regen.
Well it did get the service person to shut there trap some what after maxing out payload, I said it can't be hooked to trailer with electric brakes 24/7 and right now its at max pay load so what more can I do its winter time and I don't recall being told or signing paperwork before I bought it that said one of the requirements was I had to hook it to a heavy trailer 24/7/365 or I would have DPF/regen, oil growth problems and or both...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it did get the service person to shut there trap some what after maxing out payload, I said it can't be hooked to trailer with electric brakes 24/7 and right now its at max pay load so what more can I do its winter time and I don't recall being told or signing paperwork before I bought it that said one of the requirements was I had to hook it to a heavy trailer 24/7/365 or I would have DPF/regen, oil growth problems and or both...

You certainly don’t need to tow 24/7/365, but a good tow can be an effective method of cleaning the DPF and help reduce too frequent of regens.

If you want to start your own thread on your truck and its issues that would be better than continuing the discussion on here where the topic is oil viscosities.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would you want to, as I understand it the hydraulic lifters are made to be used with 15w oil

*aren’t

Anybody ?

Likely not intentionally.

As mentioned I think it would be fine with the right quality synthetic 15w-40, but I’m not financially able to test that theory. If you want to fund it….

Cseybert

Reaction score
Why would you go against what the manufacturer suggest to use in a motor and use 15 W 40 versus what they suggest to use doesn’t make sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread