Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody know what these holes are for?

wrvond

Reaction score
Started installing bed lights today and noticed these holes in the pillar. There's an identical set on the other side, so I'm guessing they might be for mounting one of those bed extender things that flip out when the tailgate is down and flip in to create a cargo area when the tailgate is up.

Am I right?

Screenshot 2023-11-24 155057.jpg

Dewey

Reaction score
Not to side track your question when you plug in the wires into panel in the fire wall under the dash. Did you find a way to access then to plug in the wires? I installed the lights some time ago and did not find an easy way access the plugs. Also did not want to tear the dash of my brand new truck apart.

Sorry for the high jack and not knowing an answer to your question.

Dewey

flan

Reaction score
Mopar P/N 82214148

Here’s what the bracket looks like

BE13F904-CC14-47E8-8040-C9BDCC4CE50B.jpeg

Grey

Reaction score
Mounting brackets for bed extender option

wrvond

Reaction score
Not to side track your question when you plug in the wires into panel in the fire wall under the dash. Did you find a way to access then to plug in the wires? I installed the lights some time ago and did not find an easy way access the plugs. Also did not want to tear the dash of my brand new truck apart.

Dewey
I haven’t gotten that far yet but I have watched a few videos. The upshot is there is no easy way and the knee bolster has to come out. Two screws and it snaps off - that’s the easy part…

midntrdr

Reaction score

Dewey
I cheated and tapped into the wire for the cargo light. Bed lights come on whenever the cargo light comes on (door open, unlock with the fob, push cargo light in the cab, etc.). The only thing I gave up going this route is that I don’t have the switch in the bed, but I hardly used that on my last truck with the factory bed lights. This also allowed me to buy the much cheaper bed lights without the switch. I took one look under the dash at the BCM pins and said no way! The cargo light that I tapped into is a white wire with a tan tracer in the wire bundle under the drivers door sill.

Dewey

Reaction score
I cheated and tapped into the wire for the cargo light. Bed lights come on whenever the cargo light comes on (door open, unlock with the fob, push cargo light in the cab, etc.). The only thing I gave up going this route is that I don’t have the switch in the bed, but I hardly used that on my last truck with the factory bed lights. This also allowed me to buy the much cheaper bed lights without the switch. I took one look under the dash at the BCM pins and said no way! The cargo light that I tapped into is a white wire with a tan tracer in the wire bundle under the drivers door sill.
Thanks for the info good to hear you may have been as intimidated as I.

Users who are viewing this thread