Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any rumors on January Incentives for 22 trucks?

Redfour5

Reaction score
I've been looking and have done this in previous years. Ram is really pushing incentives of various types on 22 1500's... I am looking at a 22 Hemi Longhorn that I have already gotten down from MSRP 85,600 to around 77K. I want more... It's been sitting on the lot since June as in that particular area, no one apparently wants to pay 85K for a Hemi...and the dealer is really motivated. IF I was going to order one this one I'm looking at has every single thing I would order. I'll have to drive a long way, but if you try to build even a 22 of the same, it is over 91K now at the build site. You can't even build one for 2023 as they aren't putting Hemi's in Longhorns anymore. It has a 2400 payload and 14 and change K max tow. That is also perfect for me.

So, any idea of what January incentives are going to be...starting Jan 3rd? The dealer said IF its still there, they will pile those onto the deal I've already established...

Tater86

Reaction score
On the RAM website I keep getting a pop up for an extra $1000 bonus cash coupon if you fill out the form. Try to see if that pops up for you.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Well, it's January 4th and the new incentives are out for HD trucks. They will give you a thousand bucks, that's it. So, if a thousand bucks will make the difference for deciding... There you go. No financing deals or anything else. Looks like they are still pushing 1500's pretty hard, but not much else.

tchur1

Reaction score
Looks like that $1000 is only for 22's. When I toggle to 23's it just says check with dealer.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Yep, I was looking at a 22, but this is not enough to sway me although the deal is very good...

mountainears

Reaction score
Seems like a better deal than you would have received had you ordered from some of the bigger dealers. They are still getting over MSRP on most HDs, seems like a good discount off MSRP and has what you are looking for plus you’re not waiting 6 months like many of us have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
Seems like a better deal than you would have received had you ordered from some of the bigger dealers. They are still getting over MSRP on most HDs, seems like a good discount off MSRP and has what you are looking for plus you’re not waiting 6 months like many of us have.

Oh yes, you are correct...as long as they have what you want... I actually found one exactly as I would have ordered with a 6.4 Hemi (I don't want or need a diesel). But at 86K I can't justify it. They brought it down to 77K (on the lot since June) and I was surprised but another 1K still doesn't justify a 1100 a month payment with down payment of three K. AND I will essentially lose the 7K equityo in my 22 Laramie as they will only give me what I owe. So, not upside down, good deal but I can't take on another 350 month in payment mostly for ram boxes, air ride and mega cab...

mountainears

Reaction score
Where do you need it to be to make sense? $1000 more doesn’t, so what does? Seems to me that even $3000 more down wouldn’t change those numbers dramatically and there no way you’re going to see incentives a ton more than that. It’s good of you to not take on more than you should, but I’m thinking that what you need to get to might just be completely unrealistic in todays new market and you should move on and stop torturing yourself :)

Redfour5

Reaction score
IF
Where do you need it to be to make sense? $1000 more doesn’t, so what does? Seems to me that even $3000 more down wouldn’t change those numbers dramatically and there no way you’re going to see incentives a ton more than that. It’s good of you to not take on more than you should, but I’m thinking that what you need to get to might just be completely unrealistic in todays new market and you should move on and stop torturing yourself :)

I agree doing the math... But, IF, FCA or whatever their name is these days were to have some financing deals like a 1.9 or 2.9, that makes a difference in like the three figure kind monthly payment. But no financing deals yet. IF, there are some 22's still on lots in May, then you will see deals... That's already happening on 1500's but HD's seem to be a different animal entirely... But...Hemi's don't move like the diesels do. I usually pay things off early and will pay off a Renegade by the end of the year, but now for something I WANT don't need, not happening.

mountainears

Reaction score
I'm not trying to talk you into it but you're not necessarily giving arguments that work your case :)

You mention you typically pay things off quickly, hard to say what that exactly means but if it is the case then loan incentives like you're talking about don't always help.

Let's use the example of financing $60,000. And lets assume you could get a crazy deal of 1.9% financing in todays market. With that sort of incentive, the timeframes are short, would likely be a 3 year deal.

$60k at 1.9% for 3 years = a loan payment of $1,716 per month, a pretty steep payment.

Now lets assume you pay that off early, in 24 months. You were paying at least $1,716 per month for some period of time and at the end of the 24 months you've given then $60k plus about $1500 in interest.

That's scenario 1.
Scenario 2, you get a $60k loan at 6% interest for 7 years (84 months)
You now have a much lower monthly payment of $877 p/mo. You can of course pay more on it, but lets assume you pay it for 23 months and then pay the truck off at 24 months like you did in Scenario 1.

Sure, you'll pay them a little more in interest (roughly $6k total, $5k more than the first scenario). But you've had 24 months where you're spending almost $1000 per month less ($24,000). $5,000 in interest over 2 years compared to the value of these trucks isn't a huge amount. $200 of interest per month paid vs an extra grand per month in principle payments.

Just another perspective.... It totally depends on your situation of course. I was fortunate to be in a situation where I could have paid cash for my truck last year. I had great timing on the delivery of my truck, and ended up getting it before interest rates jumped and landed 0% for 36 months. I put as much as I could on that and stuck my cash in an investment account and am paying for the monthly payments out of that, should make money on it but we'll see :)

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'm not trying to talk you into it but you're not necessarily giving arguments that work your case :)

You mention you typically pay things off quickly, hard to say what that exactly means but if it is the case then loan incentives like you're talking about don't always help.

Let's use the example of financing $60,000. And lets assume you could get a crazy deal of 1.9% financing in todays market. With that sort of incentive, the timeframes are short, would likely be a 3 year deal.

$60k at 1.9% for 3 years = a loan payment of $1,716 per month, a pretty steep payment.

Now lets assume you pay that off early, in 24 months. You were paying at least $1,716 per month for some period of time and at the end of the 24 months you've given then $60k plus about $1500 in interest.

That's scenario 1.
Scenario 2, you get a $60k loan at 6% interest for 7 years (84 months)
You now have a much lower monthly payment of $877 p/mo. You can of course pay more on it, but lets assume you pay it for 23 months and then pay the truck off at 24 months like you did in Scenario 1.

Sure, you'll pay them a little more in interest (roughly $6k total, $5k more than the first scenario). But you've had 24 months where you're spending almost $1000 per month less ($24,000). $5,000 in interest over 2 years compared to the value of these trucks isn't a huge amount. $200 of interest per month paid vs an extra grand per month in principle payments.

Just another perspective.... It totally depends on your situation of course. I was fortunate to be in a situation where I could have paid cash for my truck last year. I had great timing on the delivery of my truck, and ended up getting it before interest rates jumped and landed 0% for 36 months. I put as much as I could on that and stuck my cash in an investment account and am paying for the monthly payments out of that, should make money on it but we'll see :)
Good points, but, I'm more worried about cash flow. I'm wanting a payment in the 1K range and have no problem with long terms. I will pay off a Jeep Renegade (daily driver) later this year and will put some of that toward the principal payment on the new truck. It has like a 1.9 rate with a decent down payment. A Cherokee will get paid off middle of next year, similar even lower interest deal long term vs the Renegade that was 36 months. When interest rates were low even long terms were of little consequence in terms of the amount of interest you paid in toto. Now, not so much.

But it is all moot now. The truck is sold, I do have a Crew Cab 2022 Laramie with a 3.24 interest rate for 84 months I bought KNOWING the interest rates were going up at 755 a month and I'm already paying more on the principal per month and this NEW truck was a "want" vs a need. The dogs (big) are cramped in the back of the Laramie Crew Cab (NOT as big as the new 1500;s by far) and a megacab would have been nice. I miss the Ramboxes from my 1500 the new one had them and I really decided I wanted the air ride that this new one had along with some of the safety features I grew to like on the 1500. The main safety feature I miss is the blind spot monitor and I found out I can have it retrofitted with new power folding mirrors from infotainment. I got the Laramie when they had a temporary "level" (chip shortage) without power folding mirrors. That has really bugged me having had 1500 manual folding mirrors ripped off in the past.

So, I actually got that dealer down to an amazing deal of right at 77K final but the interest rate of 6.2% was just too hard to swallow and as you might see, I wasn't going to go unless I got everything I wanted. I guess I was sort of pushing to see what I could get and 77Kish from 85690 MSRP was pretty good, but I was also losing the 7K equity I had going back to the trade in on the 1500 in March 2022. So, it was worth a shot. I do OK in retirement so, I'm not up against any financial walls and it is nice. I was semi-forced to trade in a 2015 1500 Outdoorsman in 2021 but I could NOT believe what I got for it. I made out like a bandit on the trade, paid MSRP for the 2021 but still made out because of the trade and still was ahead by 7K when I traded the 2021 1500 "built to serve" for the 2500.

I did that because the travel trailer we had purchased just wasn't happy behind a 1500 and the 1500 wasn't happy either even though within specs but just barely on payload... OH, one thing I've noticed going to the store is just HOW BIG my crew cab 2500 is. It is a monster/beast. If I got a Megacab I'd be adding 11 inches to the crew cab length. That was intimidating... So, I'm good right now. I will see. Oh I attached the build sheet on the one I was looking at. It had been on the lot since June and was loaded. 86K was low on it with price rises. I did a "build" on it before the 22 build site shut down and it was over 91K in Dec 2022 as a new Build. I attached the monroney for the one I have now lost.

Attachments

• Longhorn Monroney.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread