Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any dually's use 19.5 wheels?

Wheelz

Reaction score
I'm trying to get feedback if any of the Dually users here have coverted over to 19.5 rims with commercial tires? I'm going to be doing a lot of equipment hauling and wanted to use commercial tires for longevity.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm trying to get feedback if any of the Dually users here have coverted over to 19.5 rims with commercial tires? I'm going to be doing a lot of equipment hauling and wanted to use commercial tires for longevity.
All the 4500/5500s come with them

They ride like crap but can hold the weight

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have a 4500 Cab and Chassis dually with 19.5 with Continental HSR for steering tire and a HDR + for rear traction tire. When not hauling I keep tire pressure front at 60 psi and rear at 65 psi in which doesn't require a kidney belt while driving without any weight and hold up nicely.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
You can get commercial 17's. I don't know if they're actually classified as commercial or not but I'm positive the Bridgestone R500HD is constructed with commercial technology. I've hauled heavy with them for lots of miles and never had an issue. They're rock solid and get tons of miles. They're the only tire I've ever found that wears very well on the front of a GM 3500 with IFS.

There are trade-offs versus A/T's and the like that most of run on our trucks but if you're prepared to go to 19.5's you're already going to give up those trade-offs and then some.

Just another potential option.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
had the bridgestone r 500 on our last dually. after 50k where at 50 % worn . will put a set on our new truck when the factory tires go

Wheelz

Reaction score
You can get commercial 17's. I don't know if they're actually classified as commercial or not but I'm positive the Bridgestone R500HD is constructed with commercial technology. I've hauled heavy with them for lots of miles and never had an issue. They're rock solid and get tons of miles. They're the only tire I've ever found that wears very well on the front of a GM 3500 with IFS.

There are trade-offs versus A/T's and the like that most of run on our trucks but if you're prepared to go to 19.5's you're already going to give up those trade-offs and then some.

Just another potential option.
Ah..this is good to know..I couldn't for the life of me find commercial grade tires in 17" . All I've seen are 19.5 and up. Thanks. I was hesitant to drop 6k on wheels and tires for the 19.5 conversion.

buzzuti

Reaction score
Not to hijack here…
Curious, anyone running 18”s on their DRW?

Seems that tires for an 18” wheel have the highest load ratings. Like near 1k lbs more (4000) in some configurations. However, there are like zero DRW 18” options out there.

Anyone know the science behind why there doesn't seem to be any?

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I assume right now it's at least partially due to the lack of 18" dually tire availability. I know some truck owners would install big fat tires but the OEM's won't.

The only dually profile tires currently available are in 16, 17 and 19.5 inch rim sizes. The OEM's would have to work with tire mfr's. to develop an 18" dually tire before you'll see the option for 18" duals. I'm not saying it would be a big deal, it just hasn't happened. 17" tires have been plenty adequate so essentially, there's probably just not much demand to implement the change.

AJ608

Reaction score
Changing to 19.5's would be the last thing I'd do on a 3500 unless there was no other option. No automotive place around me will change 19.5's. Commercial truck companies are the only ones that will do it. To get it done and not have your wheels destroyed is about $475-500 mount and balance. Almost all commercial truck place don't have machines they lay it on the ground and pry bar city. Same thing if you needed roadside repair, it's going to limit your choices and be really expensive for a decent job.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Changing to 19.5's would be the last thing I'd do on a 3500 unless there was no other option. No automotive place around me will change 19.5's. Commercial truck companies are the only ones that will do it. To get it done and not have your wheels destroyed is about $475-500 mount and balance. Almost all commercial truck place don't have machines they lay it on the ground and pry bar city. Same thing if you needed roadside repair, it's going to limit your choices and be really expensive for a decent job.
I have changed plenty of 19.5s with bars and never scratched them its all in the technique and most shops will do it without scratching them

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I ran 19.5's on my 3rd gen when I was pulling cattle around like crazy. they like to follow ruts a bit. you will get serious miles out of them. heavy, though.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran 19.5’s in a SRW configuration and while they could hold some serious weight they wore out faster than LT’s, which surprised me. I was doing a 5 tire rotation and they were well past 1/2 tread at 25K miles.

I really don’t see a need for them on a DRW since the 17’s have a bit more rating than the axle/truck does.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
that's interesting. I ran them in a stw and had, iirc, 50k miles on em when I turned that truck into a dually, and had another 20k to go. it was a huge tire, load range g I think. 265/70's.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I was running 245/70’s and I think the narrow tire just couldn’t handle the torque that I was putting down. 265’s would likely have lasted longer, but I didn’t want a tire that big.

AJ608

Reaction score
I have changed plenty of 19.5s with bars and never scratched them its all in the technique and most shops will do it without scratching them

They must not be around me then. The company I use to work for used a bunch of different places within 100 mi, all the wheels on the trucks were beat all to hell after the first set of tires were changed. With motorcycle tires I've changed hundreds and can do it without damaging anything. Most places anymore have cheap ass labor and they have little experience and learn on your dime.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I'm running 225 / 70/ 19.5 Continental HSR in front and HDR in rear on a Cab and Chassis 4500 with 40K on them, and they still look good.

Users who are viewing this thread