Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any dually owners in Indiana?

Reaction score
So Indiana charges a yearly “excise tax” which is based on MSRP and age for vehicles below 11K gross rating.

For 11K plus, it seems to change to commercial, which is taxed based on gross weighting and not MSRP.

Seems I’d go from paying $500 a year to $53 a year if I went to a dually!

Curious if any IN dually owners are in here and can confirm?

Reaction score
Answering my own question here incase I can help anyone else down the line.

Indeed, the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) wanted to title the Dually as a "11K Truck".

After chatting with a manager and pointing out that in fact it is a "14K" truck, he agreed it can be titled as 16K (Indiana does increments, the next largest is 11K-16k) and as such, pushes it into the commercial vehicle taxes, vs personal taxes.

Meaning: my yearly taxes dropped from $532 (which tapers down, but that's the first year) to... $53..

So, for all those Hoosiers, remember to push them to register it as commercial if you have a GVWR rating OVER 11K!

The manager mentioned it would eventually become more expensive yearly, but that'll take 8+ years to take effect, and can be someone else's problem. (Who even cares at $53?)

Users who are viewing this thread