Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Chance? Power Running Boards - Mopar (82215287AE)

TW720HVY

Reaction score
I am new to Ram trucks, and looking forward to driving a Cummins HO, we should be picking up our new 3500HD sometime this week or next. The truck wasn't special ordered, it was already "in transit" when we put a deposit on it.

The power running boards is something I'd like to add, and if given the chance I prefer adding only MOPAR parts to it. I came across a couple of videos that talk about adding them to the 1500, but so far nothing with the 2500/3500.

I found this MOPAR kit and I am hoping there's a chance this kit will also work for the 2500/3500. It looks like it plugs into the BCM, and I am hoping the BCM is the same for the 3500, regardless of the engine?

Has anyone installed this kit on an HD? I'd also appreciate any input or guidance, fingers crossed this will work.

Thanks in advance for the help!

TW720HVY

Reaction score
I read that, and since it was 2 years old it might have changed. I read it that I'll need to make my own wire harness. And the kit for the 1500 comes with a harness already, and wondering if that harness will work on the HD trucks.

Last edited:

sstoner911

Reaction score
I read that, and since it was 2 years old it might have changed. I read it that I'll need to make my own wire harness. And the kit for the 1500 comes with a harness already, and wondering if that harness will work on the HD trucks.
It should work on the HD trucks as well - you will also need to flash the computer to use the menu for the steps in the Uconnect if you want. You can do this with AlphaOBD. I never use the options in the radio as it just "AUTO" or "Store". I am not sure why you would have the stored all the time...

sstoner911

Reaction score
Winter driving, deep snow or ice building up. Storing is also useful while working on truck and needing door open, w/o board in the way
Well,

Snow is not much of a factor for Southern Az :cool: We are lucky like that! I guess stowing the running boards would be good when you are just need to reach in the truck because they will smack you in the shin.

Grain hauler

Reaction score
Lol, so like me, you've had the ram smack. Installed AMP boards on my 2019 Power Wagon. Slight pressure against board, it will not extend, or retract

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Lol, so like me, you've had the ram smack. Installed AMP boards on my 2019 Power Wagon. Slight pressure against board, it will not extend, or retract

Are you happy with the AMP boards? I am think that might be the easier install.

Thinking out loud, lets say you're inside the truck and don't want them to extended for whatever reason, would pulling OBD plug keep them up or will they default to extend?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
OEM ram power birds are just the same. Sometimes I need to reach in to grab something from the truck real quick, and I don't wait for it to extend, put my leg in front of it and the step goes back in on contact. It doesn't "smack" you or hurt you in any way.

Last edited:

Grain hauler

Reaction score

Thinking out loud, lets say you're inside the truck and don't want them to extended for whatever reason, would pulling OBD plug keep them up or will they default to extend?
That would work, but slight pressure will stop deployment

JHeat2500

Reaction score
If you're thinking about the amp power steps, there is a price increase going into effect tomorrow, just fyi.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

sstoner911

Reaction score
OEM ram power birds are just the same. Sometimes I need to reach in to grab something from the truck real quick, and I don't wait for it to extend, put my leg in front of it and the step goes back in on contact. It doesn't "smack" you or hurt you in any way.
It does if it's already deployed...I have only done that once while paring the trailer TPMS and reaching in the truck several times.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I use the pinch protection to keep them out when washing the truck. Just step on it until it tries to move when closing the door.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score

Yes, if the OBD cable is unplugged they will either remain retracted or they will retract if they are currently extended.

Users who are viewing this thread