Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any adjustment of Alt Trailer height possible?

CMRoadster

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 with the rear air suspension. Alternative trailer height helps but my fifth wheel is still not level when connected (too high in the front). Looked at increasing trailer tire and wheel size from 15 to sixteen to help leveling it but that only giver me about 1-1/2 inches between top of tire and frame , so no go on that. . I'd like to be able to drop the truck 2 inches instead of the standard 1 inch for the Alt Trailer height setting. Running factory 20 inch wheels with stock LT285/60R20 tires. Any ideas?

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 with the rear air suspension. Alternative trailer height helps but my fifth wheel is still not level when connected (too high in the front). Looked at increasing trailer tire and wheel size from 15 to sixteen to help leveling it but that only giver me about 1-1/2 inches between top of tire and frame , so no go on that. . I'd like to be able to drop the truck 2 inches instead of the standard 1 inch for the Alt Trailer height setting. Running factory 20 inch wheels with stock LT285/60R20 tires. Any ideas?
I have the same dilemma as you but my duelly wheels are smaller so that helps me a little. I love the ride quality of the air ride but it would be nice to go lower. There is a lowering mode in your suspension settings that will let it deflate all the way down but that is only for the Convience of hooking and unhooking quickly on trailers. It won't let you drive with it like that though due to potential damage. Im not aware of any adjustments that can mechanically or structurally be made.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Since the trucks don't appear to have any blocks below the spring pack now, you could possibly replace the ball and rod on the levelers but there may be other sensors involved (honestly not sure.)

However, wouldn't' that put you below level, a condition that's less than favorable?

What is your clearance between fifth and bedrail?

Have you also considered adding a different equalizer like the LCI Equaflex or similar? They all tend to provide some additional lift.

1600110663541.png

If you want to go 16" and don't have clearance, it's probably not too much to have the hangers cut off and a 2" square tube welded onto the frame and new hangers welded back on. That's how most of the new trailers are setup.

You may possibly be able to get 16" wheels/tires installed by using the equalizer above. Maybe have the outward hangers extended a bit? In either case, I'd have those hangers braced/boxed. A lot of folks have a piece of angle iron welded inside the hanger or have them partially boxed to reduce flex.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Follow up. Seems that LCI part is getting mixed reviews, maybe just due to bushings.

One other thought was you could always get custom spring packs for the trailer built by a competent spring shop. Lots of guys do that to replace failed factory chicom springs.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
When I was considering raising my fiver rig, these were the two options I was considering, both are good products, the mor-ryde is probably a better piece but twice as much at $500 than the lippert correct track at $260. That said, I'm not keeping this fiver forever so if I do anything it will be the correct track as it half the price and keeps axles in line and both products give you a 2" average lift.

CMRoadster

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to start with a simple fix and swap out the ISR that I have the fifth wheel hitch mounted on. I can gain 1-1/2 inches bgoign with a lower set mount and still have the necessary clearance at the bed sides. I checked with a dealer service center who informed me that no, the 3500 has only one option- lower 1 inch with the Alt Trailer setting or Normal ride. After that I may look at swapping out the 20 inch wheels for 18 inch wheels.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I missed the part where you indicate the bedrail to fiver gap was too much?

:)

Sorry, did not think to ask that obvious question. Seems a few SB sliding hitch users are experiencing similar problems.

Gray Ghost

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to start with a simple fix and swap out the ISR that I have the fifth wheel hitch mounted on. I can gain 1-1/2 inches bgoign with a lower set mount and still have the necessary clearance at the bed sides. I checked with a dealer service center who informed me that no, the 3500 has only one option- lower 1 inch with the Alt Trailer setting or Normal ride. After that I may look at swapping out the 20 inch wheels for 18 inch wheels.
If you swap the wheels make sure you check the load capability for the rims and the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread