Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Diff on 3/4 ton's with a cummins? Do I need it or no?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Some people I talk to say you need it, some dont. Just wondering what the pros on this forum think.

Heckyl

Reaction score
Some people I talk to say you need it, some dont. Just wondering what the pros on this forum think.
With a Cummins is irrelevant. I would not own a truck without the limited slip diff (anti spin diff

Don’t even consider buying a truck ( any engine ) without the anti spin rear axle. I won’t own one without it. I also get 4WD.
With the anti spin axle it will give you both rear wheels power in slipping conditions, as opposed to just to 1 wheel. In 4WD with the anti spin axle you will have 1 front wheel and both rear wheels pulling in mud, snow, ice etc. Actually you can lock the rear and front axle to get all wheels pulling on the power wagon. The only negative that I can think of with the rear anti spin axle is when you are accelerating around a sharp turn on slick roads sometimes the back end of the truck can slide out due to both wheels spinning ( “breaking the back end loose”), where a non anti spin axle won’t break loose. That is a non event.... just get off accelerator momentarily. I truly don’t understand why they make and sell 4WD trucks without a anti spin or rear locker axle!

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
What Heckyl said.... I believe it is essential for a truck.

labjr1

Reaction score
Agreed, these heavy trucks can get stuck in a field with damp grass. Get the anti-spin rear differential - and never get a diesel that will leave the pavement without 4X4.

Heckyl

Reaction score
Agreed, these heavy trucks can get stuck in a field with damp grass. Get the anti-spin rear differential - and never get a diesel that will leave the pavement without 4X4.

Very true.... I’ve had to put my trucks in 4WD on a very slight incline in wet grass all the time.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I've had to use it in my driveway during heavy rains on a slight incline. Would have been stuck or would have had to switch to 4 wheel if I didn't have it. Just remember at higher speeds your back end can throw out so stay off the accelerator in low traction situations. Same at slow speeds, your back end can walk on you, but at least can be controlled and get you out. But absolutely needed in my opinion.

Heckyl

Reaction score
With a Cummins is irrelevant. I would not own a truck without the limited slip diff (anti spin diff

Don’t even consider buying a truck ( any engine ) without the anti spin rear axle. I won’t own one without it. I also get 4WD.
With the anti spin axle it will give you both rear wheels power in slipping conditions, as opposed to just to 1 wheel. In 4WD with the anti spin axle you will have 1 front wheel and both rear wheels pulling in mud, snow, ice etc. Actually you can lock the rear and front axle to get all wheels pulling on the power wagon. The only negative that I can think of with the rear anti spin axle is when you are accelerating around a sharp turn on slick roads sometimes the back end of the truck can slide out due to both wheels spinning ( “breaking the back end loose”), where a non anti spin axle won’t break loose. That is a non event.... just get off accelerator momentarily. I truly don’t understand why they make and sell 4WD trucks without a anti spin or rear locker axle!

I didn’t talk about 2WD trucks, but I definitely would have the anti spin axle on 2WD also! Having an open differential on a truck is “as useful a teets on a chicken “ “1Hasbeen” ... famous philosopher.

Nordic28

Reaction score
I agree with you guys on a must have anti spin. I tow in the snow and it's a safety issue without it.

huff2462

Reaction score
Well dang... I ordered mine without the antispin rear axle ($445 option) thinking I'm a pretty slow driver so it shouldn't matter.

You guys are making me regret my uninformed decision. Is it a big deal to have it added later on?

Heckyl

Reaction score
Well.... I am constantly in wet fields and dirt / grass roads on my farm. I also have to deal with snow and ice on roads during the winter time. It seems that I am off the payment a lot in my truck and I ain’t gonna lie, the lack of anti spin for ME is a deal breaker. But , it certainly ain’t a deal breaker for everyone. If your truck is going to stay on the payment mostly and don’t deal with ice, snow, mud, fields, camping, etc, probably not a deal breaker for you. There are ALOT of 4WD trucks on the road without the anti spin / limited slip differential out there ... ALOT don’t even know the difference in differentials or what they have. That’s why I think ALL trucks should have them standard. Like I said ALOT don’t even know they don’t have it and are doing OK I guess.

huff2462

Reaction score
I hear ya... I've got the antispin diff on my '13 1500. I rarely use my 4wd even in the snow.

I didn't realize when ordering my 2500 that NOT having it would mean I'd have 1 tire spinning when it gets slick.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I hear ya... I've got the antispin diff on my '13 1500. I rarely use my 4wd even in the snow.

I didn't realize when ordering my 2500 that NOT having it would mean I'd have 1 tire spinning when it gets slick.
In normal pavement driving conditions, it's "safer" but I prefer the more control. It's kinda like FWD vs RWD. RWD you can lose control vs FWD having no control.

BigA80

Reaction score
Hated not having it in my 02 dodge ram. Wet roads, don't pull out in front of anyone and try to go its just spin city. Worse in the snow 2wd without anti spin is worthless I had to put it in 4wd to go anywhere. Defiantly ordered it on my new one.

Users who are viewing this thread