Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anti gel additive

foneguy

Reaction score
this is my first diesel, do i need to use the anti gel juice in the winter? i dont plan a lot of driving the new truck in the snow if at all avoidable.
Thanks in advance

racerdude321

Reaction score
Less about snow and more about just general cold temps.
I run Power Service white bottle whenever the temps are going to be consistently below 20F and especially if it is going to be below 0F for any length of time.
Gelled diesel is no fun. Been there done that, a few times, now I just run the anti-gel so not to worry or have the hassle. It's cheap enough if you buy the larger bottles.

Zrojas

Reaction score
Power Service Diesel Kleen Winter Formula in the white bottle and the Performance formula in the silver bottle are the only two additives that are approved by Cummins.

You can use whatever you want of course, just wanted to make sure you knew that. The fuel suppliers will switch to winterized diesel and everybody has been running all kinds of additives for years before Cummins approved any.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

thestuarts

Reaction score
The YouTube channel called Project Farm recently tested multiple anti-gel additives. Some products work better than others for anti-gelling and lubrication. However, as @Zrojas stated, "Power Service Diesel Kleen Winter Formula in the white bottle and the Performance formula in the silver bottle are the only two additives that are approved by Cummins."

regal2800

Reaction score
If the gas stations winterize the diesel fuel, why do you need anything else done to it?

racerdude321

Reaction score
If the gas stations winterize the diesel fuel, why do you need anything else done to it?
Because diesel is hygroscopic which also adds to the problem. Take a clear container and leave it outside and see how fast it gets cloudy and thick when the temps start dropping.
You may be fine if you live in a moderate climate, but up north it isn't worth the risk. Try it, you'll see. :)
Like I mentioned above gel your fuel a few times and you'll just carry the bottle in cold months.

regal2800

Reaction score
Because diesel is hygroscopic which also adds to the problem. Take a clear container and leave it outside and see how fast it gets cloudy and thick when the temps start dropping.
You may be fine if you live in a moderate climate, but up north it isn't worth the risk. Try it, you'll see. :)
Like I mentioned above gel your fuel a few times and you'll just carry the bottle in cold months.

Ya but if the gas stations winterize the fuel, doesn't it already prevent the fuel from gelling? If it will gel in your tank i would think it would also gel in the gas station tanks making it very difficult to pump gas. Hence gas stations winterizing their fuel?

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
Underground tanks don’t get as cold. There is some left in the lines above ground, but they also don’t have superfine filters to get clogged up.
It’s probably fine to just run what they sell most of the time, but that isn’t good enough for me.
I run additive year round to feel better about the fuel pump, just switch from silver to white bottle depending on temperatures.

racerdude321

Reaction score
As MyFavreInABox mentioned underground tanks are a different animal temperature wise than the little tanks on our trucks exposed to the air.
Additionally winter blend fuel is different then winterized or anti-gel additive fuel. 'Winter' blend fuel will still gel but just a a slightly lower temp (usually 5-10 degrees) than 'summer' blend fuel.
I only run white bottle and only in the colder months.

Users who are viewing this thread