Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 3.73 vs 4.10 thread - placed order with dealer and second guessing my decision

jrhoads23

Reaction score
Man what a ton of great info from everyone. This is awesome. Unfortunately from reading these I am just as much on the fence as ever.. LOL

silver billet

Reaction score
You don't "need" it based on your towing description, so why pay more for it?

RainDesert

Reaction score
My 2019 6.4 had the 4.10, I ordered it that way because of my past experience with F250 gassers. If I can order a new Ram Hemi this year, I will go with the 3.73 for sure. I felt the 4.10 were just too low for DD around town unloaded, that 8 speed really has a low 1st gear. I don't tow over 10k and I run stock height tires, both of those factors lead me to the 3.73's.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Having owned the 3.73 in my 2016 and the 4.10 in my current 2020, I would break it down as follows. Towing heavy and/or plans to bump up to 37" or larger tires = 4.10. Mild/medium towing, DD and/or sticking with 35s or below = 3.73.

myersd1

Reaction score
I don't think the mileage will vary that much. I wish I had 4.10's. Pulling my 29' 8.5' sled trailer with 5 sleds at 70 MPH I averaged 6.5 MPG. It was in 5th quite a bit at 3500 RPM which is super annoying. Thinking the 4.10's would pull these little hills without the 3 gear downshift. Truck never lost 1 MPH but it is thirsty to say the least.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't think the mileage will vary that much. I wish I had 4.10's. Pulling my 29' 8.5' sled trailer with 5 sleds at 70 MPH I averaged 6.5 MPG. It was in 5th quite a bit at 3500 RPM which is super annoying. Thinking the 4.10's would pull these little hills without the 3 gear downshift. Truck never lost 1 MPH but it is thirsty to say the least.
Something is wrong there or there was a hell of a wind

sstoner911

Reaction score
Newbie here. Just placed an order with my dealer for a 2021 Big Horn 2500 (Crew cab 4x4 gasser). This will be my first Ram - I am upgrading from a Silverado 1500. I had lots of questions when deciding what to order for it - gas vs diesel, 2500 vs 3500, Big Horn vs Laramie... and color :) This site was great is helping me research and make my decision. My order is placed and I have a couple days to change anything if I want... the last item I am still up in the air on is if I should go with the 3.73 or 4.10. I have read a number of threads on the topic - many deal with older models prior to the new 8 speed tranny. From what I read, the 3.73 was inferior when it was with a 6 speed, but the 8 speed changes that a lot. My order currently has it with the 4.10, but after speaking with some truck friends (none of them have a 2019+ Ram 2500) they say I should certainly get the 3.73 and I am starting to second guess my decision.

My justification is it seems like people have gotten the 3.73 and wished they did the 4.10. Not many people are the opposite of that.
However my big fear is gas mileage will suffer a lot and RPMs will be obnoxious at high speeds. This will be my daily driver so if there will be a large (2 MPG or more) difference, that might persuade me to change to 3.73

Now that the 8 speed has been out for a couple years, was wondering if people have some feedback on their thoughts on the 3.73 vs 4.10 after a couple years of use. I read one post and I think I should get the 4.10. Then I read another post and think I should get the 3.73

It will be my daily driver and I typically put 15,000 miles per year on. Only 1,500 miles or so of that will be towing, and currently it is a small-ish TT camper (23 foot). I could see us moving up to a slightly larger camper at some point in the future, but it would only be 1 size up. Not a fiver or any kind of beast bumper pull. We live in Wisconsin and never leave the state to camp, so large hills and grades are not really a concern.
When not towing probably 50/50 in terms of city vs interstate driving. I plan on keeping it stock (famous last words!) but I don't know... they sure do look nice with a little bigger tires on them :) I certainly wouldn't want to base my decision on that tho as it may never happen

Anyone with a 2019+ 2500 who got one or the other and really regrets their decision? Anyone who has owned and driven both a lot who can provide some feedback?

This is probably the best topic on the issue. Very good read. After reading it all, sounds like there is no clear winner?

Another good disussion on the topic:

Another MPG discussion:

User in pretty much the exact same situation as me. This post was right when the new 8 speeds came out

If gas mileage is a concern I am not sure why you are getting an HD truck? With 3.73 or 4.10 you wont have the mileage that 1500 had.

I can only see getting 4.10s if you are towing something heavy or you just want 4.10s - I do not think the cost difference is much.

Vinny689

Reaction score
I specifically looked for a truck with 4.10 because I plan on a leveling kit and 35s in the future. Also came from a scat pack charger so hoped the 4.10 would make it feel more peppy. Highest mpg I saw on the lie o meter was 17.5 babying the **** out of it on pretty flat roads. I use to have a 07 Chevy 1500 lifted on 33s with the 5.3 and it only got 12 in town maybe 14 highway so this big truck has a ton more power and about the same if not better mpg anyway. If your not looking to put big tires on it or towing heavy might as well go 3.73. I’m happy with my 4.10 and have no regrets. And if it’s true from the poster before me that did the math on the gas cost of 15k miles being only 500 bucks more a year I wouldn’t even think twice. I appreciated him explaining that.

Pronto

Reaction score
If gas mileage is a concern I am not sure why you are getting an HD truck? With 3.73 or 4.10 you wont have the mileage that 1500 had.

With the pathetic fuel tank size, it's the lack of range where the low mileage hurts me, not the cost. I would have paid a lot extra for the option of a larger fuel tank.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
With the pathetic fuel tank size, it's the lack of range where the low mileage hurts me, not the cost. I would have paid a lot extra for the option of a larger fuel tank.
Yep the fuel tank size is the one problem I have with my Ram. When towing I have to plan for the next gas stop. On top of that you need a gas station that you can get in and out of with a trailer (mine is 30'). No problem with a diesel as you just go where the 18 wheelers go. Unfortunately for us with the Hemi, the gas pumps are not always set up to allow my 52 foot land train to get in and out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yep the fuel tank size is the one problem I have with my Ram. When towing I have to plan for the next gas stop. On top of that you need a gas station that you can get in and out of with a trailer (mine is 30'). No problem with a diesel as you just go where the 18 wheelers go. Unfortunately for us with the Hemi, the gas pumps are not always set up to allow my 52 foot land train to get in and out.
Idk where you are but here regular diesel pickups cant use the transport fuel islands as they are either cardlocked or they refuse pickups we are stuck using the same fuel stations as you gassers but limited to one or two pumps at these stations we can actually use providing they even have diesel....

Lary0071

Reaction score
I pull a 13K lb 38' Grand Design 311BHS with a 2019 6.4L 8 speed with 3.73 gears. As for power, I have no issues with it. I do not miss my diesels, sure they win the race going up the mountain pass, but I rarely drag race while towing and I do not care if a diesel passes me,

I see around 12.5 MPG hand calculated empty, but I am in the Pittsburgh Pa area and we are all hills and turns. MPG is very different if you live in the flatlands and not comparable. Brake life and steering parts life is also not comparable.

With my setup, expect 7 to 8 MPG towing and 12.5-13 empty if you drive it like an old lady.

The 8 speed more than makes up for the loss of the 4.10 gear set. Adding the 8 speed would be something I would have done if I were in a business where I were towing very often, but for me I may be towing at most 15-20% of the time.

I do drive a 2004 Grand Prix all winter and a 2014 Wrangler all summer. The truck is essentially for truck things. I store the truck and Jeep in a garage all winter and let the Grand Prix suck up the salt. It's about done, the underneath is rotted away and I will lucky to get 1 more inspection out of it.

If you can swing it, go buy a 10 year old decent condition car and daily beat on that while getting 25 MPG. I'll be replacing my GP with a 2010 to 2012 car when I can not get it inspected any longer.

JasonB

Reaction score
I got the 4.10s on mine. Couple of reasons. It's an HD truck, I don't care about mileage. If I did, I would have bought a 1500. I put 295/65/20's (35ish) on before I even saw the truck. I can't stop reading reviews on Carli and Thuren suspension setups and know that some sort of lift/level is in the future. I never wanted to be questioning my decision or facing a multi thousand dollar bill to swap to 4.10s. I now have the mental freedom to not question towing, and not question even bigger tires than I have now. Speaking to mpg, I have 1000 miles on mine. Use remote start every time I drive it and it idles in the driveway for 5 minutes. This will only happen in the winter as I live in Buffalo. My mpg right now, 90% city driving, is 9.4mpg. Again, remote start and city driving throws this number off some along with the low overall miles. Let's just say I've been to Sam's more than a couple times in my brief ownership. I just use it as an excuse to go buy a brisket and bring it home to toss on the smoker.

whitexc

Reaction score
I got the 4.10s on mine. Couple of reasons. It's an HD truck, I don't care about mileage. If I did, I would have bought a 1500. I put 295/65/20's (35ish) on before I even saw the truck. I can't stop reading reviews on Carli and Thuren suspension setups and know that some sort of lift/level is in the future. I never wanted to be questioning my decision or facing a multi thousand dollar bill to swap to 4.10s. I now have the mental freedom to not question towing, and not question even bigger tires than I have now. Speaking to mpg, I have 1000 miles on mine. Use remote start every time I drive it and it idles in the driveway for 5 minutes. This will only happen in the winter as I live in Buffalo. My mpg right now, 90% city driving, is 9.4mpg. Again, remote start and city driving throws this number off some along with the low overall miles. Let's just say I've been to Sam's more than a couple times in my brief ownership. I just use it as an excuse to go buy a brisket and bring it home to toss on the smoker.
Go Buffalo - Lockport here. I went 3.73's on my order. I will level, not lift and bump tires up slightly in size...nothing crazy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

abillerbeck

Reaction score
I ended up getting the 4.10's on my truck not because I tow heavy every day, but for the few times that I will tow heavy or possibly consistent heavier towing in the future if I end up with a bigger trailer. For me the extra available towing capacity offsets the fuel economy difference. Also like others have said, pretty good amount of pep with the 4.10's and no worries when going to larger tires.

LossPrev

Reaction score
Idk where you are but here regular diesel pickups cant use the transport fuel islands as they are either cardlocked or they refuse pickups we are stuck using the same fuel stations as you gassers but limited to one or two pumps at these stations we can actually use providing they even have diesel....
If I remember correctly from other posts, you're in Canuckistan? Everywhere I travel to in the US I use the truck lanes. This was one of the main "pros" that pushed me to get the Cummins. They won't take regular credit cards but you can always pre-pay inside or use a fleet card like the TSD card that also provides a discount. Even when not towing I try to hit the trucker lanes because of the discount and I know the fuel is getting turned over consistently.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If I remember correctly from other posts, you're in Canuckistan? Everywhere I travel to in the US I use the truck lanes. This was one of the main "pros" that pushed me to get the Cummins. They won't take regular credit cards but you can always pre-pay inside or use a fleet card like the TSD card that also provides a discount. Even when not towing I try to hit the trucker lanes because of the discount and I know the fuel is getting turned over consistently.
Truck lanes pump faster too

jadmt

Reaction score
one think for sure with diesel it has to be cheap because I have never been to a multi use pump that has not had a ton of diesel slopped around. one of those things makes you wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread