What's new
Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto Can't Have Phone Conversation

95Ctd

Reaction score
22' Ram 3500, 12" uconnect 5 with android auto has been awesome no issues except... I can't reliably have a phone conversation. Whether I make the call or accept a call there's no guarantees I'll be able to have a conversation. Calls connect and they can hear me but I can't hear anything. Nothing from the other person, the ringtone or ringing. Is it really that my Galaxy-S21 (SM-G991U) is not compatible? Seems hard to believe that when everything else works flawlessly in AA. I've dug through soo many settings looking for one thing I have on/off and haven't found it.

Looking for any ideas, not really something I want to put the parts cannon method towards when phones are 1k and the truck is 90k

Thanks!

My S21 was constantly disconnecting after 1 minute of Spotify music play and would randomly switch to phone audio while on a call.

I just went in and handled all the recall stuff I'd either neglected or waited for parts on. One of the "recall" focuses was a software update. As ive always thought this was something the OTA system handles, my ears perked up a bit. I'm crossing my fingers, but for the last few days I've had zero issue. Honestly, check with the dealer if you're out of ideas. It could really be that easy.

have updated the latest software for your phone? Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues.

My work vehicle sometimes has similar issues. I unpair the phone, delete it from the vehicle, then re-pair it. That fixes it for a few months or so. Note that's a Ford so different system, but uninstall/reinstall is a general first step in fixing tech issues. Make sure both have all their updates, or at least last known good updates. Nuclear option is factory reset on the infotainment center, re-update, then re-pair phone.

Mine did something similar to that, so I held the two knobs down until the radio rebooted itself. Hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. Turning the truck on and off is not a reboot.

Mine did something similar to that, so I held the two knobs down until the radio rebooted itself. Hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. Turning the truck on and off is not a reboot.
I'll give that a shot. Have not come across that yet

I've had a ton of UC5 issues with my 8.4 Nav. S21+, Pixel 6 Pro had identical issues. Pixel 6 and Z Fold 4 both experienced freezing of the system, but not the other symptoms.

I've had a ton of UC5 issues with my 8.4 Nav. S21+, Pixel 6 Pro had identical issues. Pixel 6 and Z Fold 4 both experienced freezing of the system, but not the other symptoms.

The only issue I have is call audio. I have ZERO issues with anything else. Audio from my phone, Pandora Spotify tunein etc, maps and Google voice recognition work perfectly. My phone is not rooted.

Hard for me to get time to work on this. I don't drive this truck every day and the only person I can call to bug is my wife who between work and our young kids has very little time. I did notice today that even though my phone is set that usb is charging only, when I unplugged it android auto disconnect and switched over to wireless quickly. Something else for me to look into.

FWIW, wireless AA works well with my Samsung S22 Ultra. I have the 12" uConnect 5 in my 22 Ram. I've never had it drop a call.

How does that happen?

I assume he means he hasn't paired to Uconnect, which you don't have to do if you just want to use Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I paired mine, but I later unpaired it because I would get this little error message about messages loading a .jar file. Having it unpaired and only using AA usually prevents the issue from recurring.

How does that happen?

I assume he means he hasn't paired to Uconnect, which you don't have to do if you just want to use Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I paired mine, but I later unpaired it because I would get this little error message about messages loading a .jar file. Having it unpaired and only using AA usually prevents the issue from recurring.

Correct...

I don't have a Ram or uconnect app on my phone to have connected to it.
I have seem to narrow it down to my phone. Wife's older S20FE phone doesn't do android auto wirelessly but works just bluetooth or AAwhen I plug the usb cable in.

I'll explore my phones settings. No idea what it could be atm. The wireless android auto is nice but I'd be ok with ditching it as I still plug in my phone in to charge it since my phone doesn't fit well in the wireless charger with the case on.

I'll post back if/when I figure it out

After uninstalling/reinstalling AA, pairing/unpairing idk how many times and confirming everything was the latest software, I tapped the phone icon that becomes the AA icon and switched to uconnect to see if calls worked there, which they did. Switched back to AA and it started working through AA .

Calls in/out, restarted the truck and everything is good everyone can hear everyone.

Seems like a silly fix but I'll be sure to keep the thread going if there are issues and post back periodically over the next month or so confirming that the fix stayed.

After going where I needed to and restarting the truck, I was able to make one call out fine then the call I made less than a minute later didn't work or any calls after that.

Got in my truck today to leave work. Called my office phone, ring you've reached the vm box of... Cool it's working. Immediately hang up, call my wife, nothing...

Back