Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

just James

Reaction score
Probably a Chevy or Ford salesman who is frustrated at losing so many deals to the local Ram dealer.

Dwilly

Reaction score
I have been loyal Ram driver for 20 years now and have purchased a new one every 2 to 3 years. I have owned 1500s and 2500s at every trim level along with the 318,360, 5.7, 5.9, 6.4 and 6.7. My latest purchase was a 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab with 6.4. Thought I would try the 6.4 matched with the new 8 speed in the 2500 line. This post is for the 2019 end newer HD line but some issues do date further back. I am writing this to bring light to my experience the last 2 years with this truck. What I list out as issues that I have experienced were written out in letter form to owners which got immediate attention but eventually fizzled out. The good: yes they mega cab is massive and its usually the spark of a conversation with complete strangers saying "hey nice looking truck"! The good ends there. No I am not a sour RAM owner bashing the brand. My run rate with the brand was great until 2019. Lets talk about the bad. Yes a lot of this has been discussed in previous forums but I summing up everything here and right now. There will be a light bulb go off in a few heads, some will run out and check "their" truck or it will hit you the next time your driving. Here we go! The big one and the one thats going to upset a lot of owners. Does your 2019 or newer HD have the black dash? If so, go check out the massive gap between the dash and pillar cover where they are supposed to meet up close to speaker and windshield. Yes sir that a gap! For a lot of you, it will look like a teenager installed a sound system and couldnt get it out back together right. Guess what? There is no fix! They know this. Did your new truck feel out of alignment soon after ownership? Yes! Known problem. Did your steering wheel look off center from the start? Yes because it was. Did it eat through tires quick? Of course it did! Does it seem like it loves to pull to the right more than it should bases on the crown of road? Yes! To the point your arm gets a little fatigued too I bet! Does it always seem dusty in cab? Yep...because its sucking it in. Does it smell like mildew sometimes? You bet! Water is coming in somewhere. You just havent caught it yet. Kuddos to those who have. Do you hear the cab clunk coming from under the back seat ever so often more so on mega cab? Yes its real and not its not premature worn shocks. Is the bed of your truck 1 or 2 inches to the left or the right of your cab? Hurry go check! I bet it is! Solution....there is none! Do you get the mechanical clunk noise coming from under center of truck 1 out of maybe every 10 start ups? Man! Thats still a mystery isn't it? Does your truck die or want to die while going up incline in reverse or maybe even slip out of gear? Oh boy mine did a lot! You will also like this one...the loud thud coming from front suspension while turn into somewhere. Thats always a treat! Does the driver seat feel and sound like there is slack in the sliding channels? Indeed! Does it look like your hood is about to fold back going down interstate? Mine looked like it was dancing to the radio. I bet your cruise control just doesnt act right sometimes doesnt it? This is a great one.....your truck tells you key fob has left the vehicle but wait....why? You just put new battery in both! I bet its the brand of battery you bought. Not the trucks fault. Does your truck get stuck in the turnover stage but just wont start? You know like the starter is stuck....yes you know it has. Do your parking sensors have a mind of their own? Of course! No its not dirt on the sensors. What about all the horror stories you are hearing about the new 1500s and the electrical issues?!?! Just wait...the HDs are right there too! Try blocking 4 lanes of traffic because your big trucks computer decided it didnt want the truck to run anymore. Lets see, the family and I lost power steering, brakes and it decided to slam in park at 55mph. After calming the wife down and getting the kids to stop crying, the truck finally decided to start. Yes a police officer had made it by then just to make sure we werent crazy and that we could drive. Yes! This problem is sleeping somewhere in your computer system. Maybe for some it has shown itself! I was given the old " we cant duplicate the problem so here is your truck back...good luck" speech. It threw 20 codes in 30 seconds according to the tell tale diagnoses computer. It did it 2 more times after by the way. There was no solution for me and my purchase according to local dealership and Chrysler. I know there are a list of recalls that we are all familiar with and they have fixed, but the above issues are known and they arent doing a thing except for selling more and more. The bitter part about all of this is that I truly love the brand and will miss it. Will I buy again? More than likely....after a few more mergers go through. If you are one of the very few who have had 0 issues, that is great! Continue loving the truck and your decision. I regretfully had to step away. This not a rant. I am speaking from experience and $70k
I literally have had none of those issues. Like not one lol.

Firebird

Reaction score
actually I believe that. I know many people who trade vehicles often. I do myself and I have a good buddy that has had at least 5 duramx's and 2 rams in the last 6 years. He just sold his 2020 PW that he had for 11 months and bought a new 2022 duramax. he had a 2019 Ram 3500 that he only had for a couple months before trading that on a 2020 duramax and he traded a 2019 duramax on the 2019 Ram 3500. He likes swapping out vehicles.
I’m in that boat, I trade every year.

freeram

Reaction score
I have been loyal Ram driver for 20 years now and have purchased a new one every 2 to 3 years. I have owned 1500s and 2500s at every trim level along with the 318,360, 5.7, 5.9, 6.4 and 6.7. My latest purchase was a 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab with 6.4. Thought I would try the 6.4 matched with the new 8 speed in the 2500 line. This post is for the 2019 end newer HD line but some issues do date further back. I am writing this to bring light to my experience the last 2 years with this truck. What I list out as issues that I have experienced were written out in letter form to owners which got immediate attention but eventually fizzled out. The good: yes they mega cab is massive and its usually the spark of a conversation with complete strangers saying "hey nice looking truck"! The good ends there. No I am not a sour RAM owner bashing the brand. My run rate with the brand was great until 2019. Lets talk about the bad. Yes a lot of this has been discussed in previous forums but I summing up everything here and right now. There will be a light bulb go off in a few heads, some will run out and check "their" truck or it will hit you the next time your driving. Here we go! The big one and the one thats going to upset a lot of owners. Does your 2019 or newer HD have the black dash? If so, go check out the massive gap between the dash and pillar cover where they are supposed to meet up close to speaker and windshield. Yes sir that a gap! For a lot of you, it will look like a teenager installed a sound system and couldnt get it out back together right. Guess what? There is no fix! They know this. Did your new truck feel out of alignment soon after ownership? Yes! Known problem. Did your steering wheel look off center from the start? Yes because it was. Did it eat through tires quick? Of course it did! Does it seem like it loves to pull to the right more than it should bases on the crown of road? Yes! To the point your arm gets a little fatigued too I bet! Does it always seem dusty in cab? Yep...because its sucking it in. Does it smell like mildew sometimes? You bet! Water is coming in somewhere. You just havent caught it yet. Kuddos to those who have. Do you hear the cab clunk coming from under the back seat ever so often more so on mega cab? Yes its real and not its not premature worn shocks. Is the bed of your truck 1 or 2 inches to the left or the right of your cab? Hurry go check! I bet it is! Solution....there is none! Do you get the mechanical clunk noise coming from under center of truck 1 out of maybe every 10 start ups? Man! Thats still a mystery isn't it? Does your truck die or want to die while going up incline in reverse or maybe even slip out of gear? Oh boy mine did a lot! You will also like this one...the loud thud coming from front suspension while turn into somewhere. Thats always a treat! Does the driver seat feel and sound like there is slack in the sliding channels? Indeed! Does it look like your hood is about to fold back going down interstate? Mine looked like it was dancing to the radio. I bet your cruise control just doesnt act right sometimes doesnt it? This is a great one.....your truck tells you key fob has left the vehicle but wait....why? You just put new battery in both! I bet its the brand of battery you bought. Not the trucks fault. Does your truck get stuck in the turnover stage but just wont start? You know like the starter is stuck....yes you know it has. Do your parking sensors have a mind of their own? Of course! No its not dirt on the sensors. What about all the horror stories you are hearing about the new 1500s and the electrical issues?!?! Just wait...the HDs are right there too! Try blocking 4 lanes of traffic because your big trucks computer decided it didnt want the truck to run anymore. Lets see, the family and I lost power steering, brakes and it decided to slam in park at 55mph. After calming the wife down and getting the kids to stop crying, the truck finally decided to start. Yes a police officer had made it by then just to make sure we werent crazy and that we could drive. Yes! This problem is sleeping somewhere in your computer system. Maybe for some it has shown itself! I was given the old " we cant duplicate the problem so here is your truck back...good luck" speech. It threw 20 codes in 30 seconds according to the tell tale diagnoses computer. It did it 2 more times after by the way. There was no solution for me and my purchase according to local dealership and Chrysler. I know there are a list of recalls that we are all familiar with and they have fixed, but the above issues are known and they arent doing a thing except for selling more and more. The bitter part about all of this is that I truly love the brand and will miss it. Will I buy again? More than likely....after a few more mergers go through. If you are one of the very few who have had 0 issues, that is great! Continue loving the truck and your decision. I regretfully had to step away. This not a rant. I am speaking from experience and $70k
My 1995 Ram started having some of these issues after 350,000 miles, how dare Ram build a clunker like that. I am hoping my 2022 will do better, I guess I will find out in 2048 /sigh...

flan

Reaction score
I was at the fuel pumps yesterday with the camper in tow, another guy getting fuel asked if I was getting around 20 towing my 27’ brick? I informed him I was getting closer to 12mpg, he seemed astonished because when he pulls his 30’ gooseneck loaded with excavation equipment he gets around 20 with his duramax! add low fuel mileage to the list OP! (I love fuel pump MPG daydream stories/claims)

Dwilly

Reaction score
I was at the fuel pumps yesterday with the camper in tow, another guy getting fuel asked if I was getting around 20 towing my 27’ brick? I informed him I was getting closer to 12mpg, he seemed astonished because when he pulls his 30’ gooseneck loaded with excavation equipment he gets around 20 with his duramax! add low fuel mileage to the list OP! (I love fuel pump MPG daydream stories/claims)
Hahahahahaha. Amazing.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Well 12mpg is 19.3km per gallon. Maybe the new duramax has some kind of screwy mileage setup lol.

freeram

Reaction score
Reality-We got 20 mpg from the top of the mountain to the bottom, go Duramax

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
My other favorite is "pulls like it's not even back there!"

When anyone says that to me I know they're full 'o sh!t ....

2powerwagons

Reaction score

My 19 PW has never been back to the dealer for anything. You got a lemon, it happens.

jadmt

Reaction score
I thought the line ran 7 days a week... mine was built july 3rd at midnight which was a friday and no issues. Maybe the mexican workers are not worried about getting off on fridays......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread