Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP Xtreme running boards - drop distance?

Richard9a

Reaction score
I also have issues with the two motor version hitting the air tank when retracted! contacted amp research and they sent out the incorrect tank relocation kit. I ended up using a small dremel grinder to created slots in the tank mounting brackets instead of holes and was able to get just enough clearance to stop the clunking noise from the boards hitting the tank. Hope this helps a little... I understand your frustration with various info out there.
Thanks Popeye2002, the dealer either had them installed or did them there self so I'm not sure which version I have? 2 or 1 motor version, I'm 70 yrs. old and low back & almost my entire neck is fused which makes it kinda hard for me to get under it to look. My dealership in Utah told me if I take it to a dealer near me where we live in Indiana & they would take care of the cost from the dealer near me since after purchasing & waiting a week in Utah before my truck was ready for the dealer to hand me the keys to it as I had to get back home for doctors appointments. But like you said with yours, that's how I would do it also by just drilling the air tank mounting holes just a little lower then cut out a slot so boots could be loosened, push the tank up enough so it didn't get hit by AMP Running boards and tighten boots back up. As I'm an old diesel machanic for many years then a fabrication shop owner/ manager & it just amazes me how stupid some aftermarket installers are, . Thanks again for your suggestion though as I will be going back to a local dealer real soon after I finish with my doctor visits.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Brewbud, I've now seen 9", 6 1/4" & 4 3/4" wow and seen there single motor and dual motor AMP retractable running boards. WOW, now I'm really confused on what's correct??? Guess it'll be up to the dealer as mine has a passenger side that's damaged from retracting & stopping against the OEM air tank for the adjustable ride height on the rear of my truck!!!

Just to clear up any confusion where I am measuring. The body of the tape is 3" so that makes it 14" total to sill. Others are probably measuring to somewhere else or have factory steps maybe.

door sill.jpg

Richard9a

Reaction score
Thanks Brewbud, that helps, so it looks like it's 4 3/4" from the bottom of the cab. Appreciate the photo & update.

Users who are viewing this thread