Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP Xtreme running boards - drop distance?

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like it should be such a difficult spec to find but I can't so I thought I'd ask here.

If anyone owns a set of these things, could you tell me how many inches from the bottom of the door to the top surface of the step?

1687831130744.png

Thanks

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I think the two motor Amp Xtreme steps drop the same distance as the single motor standard Powersteps. I can take a measurement of my standard powersteps tomorrow.

CdnHO

Reaction score
My factory steps drop 9 inches below the bottom edge of the door. I suspect the OEM would be similar to the AMPs. Certainly they are lower when deployed than the fixed running boards.

Richard9a

Reaction score
Gotta take mine in to have them replace the right side Amp Running Board, reason being is it hits the air tank for rear suspension air bags. It has rubbed a dime size area of the black anodizing of the running board. Believe the fix will be once r/s running boards is removed, the need to make the slot for the mounting bolt a bit longer in order to raise the tank up 3/8" to 1/2" so the new running board doest hit the air tank when it tucks away!!! Other than that, I love the Amp retractable running boards.

popeye2002

Reaction score
I think the two motor Amp Xtreme steps drop the same distance as the single motor standard Powersteps. I can take a measurement of my standard powersteps tomorrow.
Doesn't seem like it should be such a difficult spec to find but I can't so I thought I'd ask here.

If anyone owns a set of these things, could you tell me how many inches from the bottom of the door to the top surface of the step?

View attachment 58935

Thanks
I have the AMP Research Extreme on my 2023 ram 3500 Longhorn... here is a pictureIMG20230826200728.jpg

CFE

Reaction score
Gotta take mine in to have them replace the right side Amp Running Board, reason being is it hits the air tank for rear suspension air bags. It has rubbed a dime size area of the black anodizing of the running board. Believe the fix will be once r/s running boards is removed, the need to make the slot for the mounting bolt a bit longer in order to raise the tank up 3/8" to 1/2" so the new running board doest hit the air tank when it tucks away!!! Other than that, I love the Amp retractable running boards.
Aren't you supposed to relocate the air tank when installing these? Didn't know you could install them with the tank in the OEM spot.

Richard9a

Reaction score
Your probably correct CFE, the dealer in Salt Lake City where I bought my truck is who installed the AMP retractable running boards along with the full undercoating, clear bra on the front end and Ceramic coating on the body & glass. Half of these dealers have service technicians that don't have any common sense, I've run across problems a few times with their technicians!!! They will be the ones paying for the labor and the replacement right side running board and possibly the aluminum air tank if it's damaged!!!

Richard9a

Reaction score
The problems isn't how far they drop, it's when they retract when it hits the air tank mounted just above it, so it appears that the tank should have to be raised if possible out the mounts for the AMP Running boards lowered.

Richard9a

Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to relocate the air tank when installing these? Didn't know you could install them with the tank in the OEM spot.
The dealer did the install or sent it out to get done. I'm not sure who but I would think whoever did the install before I took possession should've known!!! But thanks I will suggest that when I'm able to take it in, it's my only vehicle at the present time.

Richard9a

Reaction score
Thanks Late to the party, appears to be between 6"-6 1/4" from bottom of cab. The other picture posted was 4 3/4". Maybe they can be moved down lower so they don't hit the air tank for my rear air bags or the tank is supposed to be moved from OEM located spot? Will update a after its gone back to the dealer.

Richard9a

Reaction score
My factory steps drop 9 inches below the bottom edge of the door. I suspect the OEM would be similar to the AMPs. Certainly they are lower when deployed than the fixed running boards.
CdnHO, thanks for the comment, but mine are AMP not OEM running boards and are retractable on my 2023 Ram 6.7 HO CC, Dually with 8' bed, 4x4.

Richard9a

Reaction score
Brewbud, I've now seen 9", 6 1/4" & 4 3/4" wow and seen there single motor and dual motor AMP retractable running boards. WOW, now I'm really confused on what's correct??? Guess it'll be up to the dealer as mine has a passenger side that's damaged from retracting & stopping against the OEM air tank for the adjustable ride height on the rear of my truck!!!

popeye2002

Reaction score
I also have issues with the two motor version hitting the air tank when retracted! contacted amp research and they sent out the incorrect tank relocation kit. I ended up using a small dremel grinder to created slots in the tank mounting brackets instead of holes and was able to get just enough clearance to stop the clunking noise from the boards hitting the tank. Hope this helps a little... I understand your frustration with various info out there.

Users who are viewing this thread