Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp Research Bed Step on a `22

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone attempt to install an Amp Research Bed Step on their 2022 yet? I bought one that said it was good for a 19-21 3500 but when I went to install it last night, I’m experiencing a clearance / interference issue between the step bracket (where it mounts to the two bolts and bumper bracket) and the tube that runs across the receiver hitch. I didn’t get a chance to take pictures but will update again when I can get back under the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linked4door

Reaction score
Have you reached out to the manufacturer yet?

Was planning on ordering one for the side of my DRW tomorrow (besstep2), but might wait now. It looks like the bedstead2 is the only one that fits the 2022. The bedstead doesn't show that it fits on the manufacturers website.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you reached out to the manufacturer yet?

Was planning on ordering one for the side of my DRW tomorrow (besstep2), but might wait now. It looks like the bedstead2 is the only one that fits the 2022. The bedstead doesn't show that it fits on the manufacturers website.

I did not reach out to Amp. I just decided I’d modify it to work. Finally had a chance to tackle it today.
I had to modify the bracket slightly to get it to work. Not a big deal, but definitely not a five minute install. Also had to relocate two wiring harnesses. They would not clip into the bracket amp gives you becuase they tree plugs they have on these harnesses is oval shaped. I’ll get some pics of the install next time I get a chance. The step does work with a slight amount of modifications.

Linked4door

Reaction score
I did not reach out to Amp. I just decided I’d modify it to work. Finally had a chance to tackle it today.
I had to modify the bracket slightly to get it to work. Not a big deal, but definitely not a five minute install. Also had to relocate two wiring harnesses. They would not clip into the bracket amp gives you becuase they tree plugs they have on these harnesses is oval shaped. I’ll get some pics of the install next time I get a chance. The step does work with a slight amount of modifications.

Thanks for the update, and glad you were able to make it work. I might just order a rear step along with the side step now. Looking forward to the pics when you get a chance.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, and glad you were able to make it work. I might just order a rear step along with the side step now. Looking forward to the pics when you get a chance.

No problem! I will get some pictures as soon as I can. Going to be a busy weekend but I’ll do my best. If you do order one, I would highly recommend using a drill to open the bolt holes on the two piece bracket ever so slightly. It’ll make it easier to manipulate the bolts and get them started when the bracket is in position. This mounting system is far different from the one that came with my 2017. It is a bit more complex.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Pics of the step installed. First pic shows where I had to notch the bracket to make it fit properly.
5a91058ddac2d7dc3756f4e496eea797.jpg

48f51c7b402030c0c77ab65ffb16a03b.jpg

7e19cf3e6f741f1861af763b0da9d2f7.jpg

lubepimp

Reaction score
I just picked up my 22 3500 the other day, had the dealer install the amp steps and they fit and work perfectly. Not sure if they had any challenges installing them though, ir wasn't mentioned. It does appear that they are plugged into the OBD port though.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Linked4door

Reaction score
For the record, I was able to get mine to install with out trimming. I proably could have saved 30-45 min if I had trimmed it though, as it was a very tight fit.

DougB

Reaction score
Installed AMP Research BedStep 75324-01A

No troubles with anything interfering and needing modification. I think the hitches are different between 2500 and 3500 and 3500 hitch has the cross tube lower. The 2 large wiring connections could not be placed on the bracket as the instructions say to do because 1) The christmas trees are oval on these but the bracket has 2 round holes, 2) I don't think the lower one could reach it. They are fine where they are. I might get some zip ties around them and the bracket. The extra bracket didnt align perfectly but once the factory bolt was tightened it complied with where it needed to go.

Step is approx. 17-3/8" off the ground. My truck is stock suspension.

View attachment 27797 View attachment 27794 View attachment 27801 View attachment 27795 View attachment 27796 View attachment 27802 View attachment 27803

Users who are viewing this thread