Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I downgrading My Engine?

savaytse66

Reaction score
I am a week or two from ordering my 1st HD truck. I've had 2 GM trucks over the last 18 years or so: a low-end, low-power Silverado that I beat into the ground for 14 years, and my current Sierra with the 6.2. I have now decided to jump to a Ram, and I'm 99% sure I am ordering the new 2500 gasser. So my question is, what can I expect from the engine compared to my current setup? I understand the frame construction of the 2500 is going to be night and day different from the 1500. But when it comes to the engine, my current 6.2 boasts 420 hp, and 460 lb-ft (I have 3.43 gearing), while the 6.4 Hemi is "only" rated at 410 hp and 429 lb-ft. Both are paired with an 8-speed tranny. I do not want to get too hung up on the numbers, but I am curious what kind of difference I will notice. I am still up in the air on the 3.73 vs 4.10 gearing, so I will obviously notice a difference depending on what I choose. Right now, I love the acceleration of the 6.2, whether it's off the line, or on the highway when I am on an on ramp or passing, and it's a capable tower of 5k - 6k pounds when I need it.

I will be able to see for myself in the next week or two when I have an opportunity to test drive, but was just wondering what to expect.

D

Deleted member 80

Well, a 2500HD is going to weigh 7K+, so it's going to feel like a dog compared to a half-ton. Even with the 8 spd, I would recommend 4.10 gears. The MPG penalty is nil, and the gasser needs it to pull top gear, unless you drive 80+ mph all the time.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's look at it like this. 5.7l hemi has very different numbers in cars, 1500, and HD.

The 6.4l BGE is a truck engine. It's duty cycle is not for speed or acceleration.

The 6.4l in the cars is much more powerful, than the Chevy motor you showed...but not designed for the duty cycle of a truck.

It is like the Chrysler V10...truck motor has a towing duty cycle and the other is in a Viper.

So all that is said to say...I know nothing about the Chevy Motor, but the 6.4l BGE is a truck engine, not the muscle car engine in the Dodge brand.

The 6.4l is the HD leader at this time for horsepower and payload. The 8spd makes it even better.

It won't be a sports car, but it does launch hard and really likes the pass from 45 to 75 MPH.

BUT, it will not feel as nimble as any 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread