Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always-on USB charge port?

Glassman484

Reaction score
Recently ordered my 2500 Laramie, and currently own a ‘16 1500. I’m wondering if Ram is offering a USB charge port that stays hot when the truck is off and locked? When I want to leave my phone in the truck charging I have to use a portable power supply. Is there a way to rig one port to stay hot? I saw a thread on the 5th gen Ram (1500) forum that mentioned moving fuses to do this, is that true for HD trucks, especially the wireless charging pad?

Thanks,

Happy Trails!

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Recently ordered my 2500 Laramie, and currently own a ‘16 1500. I’m wondering if Ram is offering a USB charge port that stays hot when the truck is off and locked? When I want to leave my phone in the truck charging I have to use a portable power supply. Is there a way to rig one port to stay hot? I saw a thread on the 5th gen Ram (1500) forum that mentioned moving fuses to do this, is that true for HD trucks, especially the wireless charging pad?

Thanks,

Happy Trails!
I’d like to hear about that too.

Distillusion

Reaction score
It appears that the fusebox layout and fuses are the same from the 1500s through the HDs. In both, there's a fuse labelled F91/90 in the front row of the fusebox. The socket for that fuse is wider than the fuse, so it's easy to see. It's also the only one like that. It's wider because there are 3 contacts in the socket. The left contact (toward the front of the truck) is ignition controlled, the right (rear of truck) is battery powered. Center contact carries power to devices. All you do is move the fuse to the opposite side of the socket.

In the 1500, the fuse feeds power to the rear seats outlet, which is on the back of the center console. For our 2500s, the owners' manual says it's "IGN or BATT Customer Selectable - If Equipped (HD Only)" but it doesn't say exactly what devices it controls. Page 466 of the owners' manual. It might make effect all of the console ports, or just the ones on the back. Hard to tell without trying.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    81.5 KB · Views: 212

Glassman484

Reaction score
Distillation, thanks for the the very specific info, with pic! It will be one of the first things I do when I take delivery.....reminds me to call my salesman and bug him about build schedule updates

Zrojas

Reaction score
Distillation, thanks for the the very specific info, with pic! It will be one of the first things I do when I take delivery.....reminds me to call my salesman and bug him about build schedule updates

When you move that fuse to make the console port "always on" remember to push all the fuses in the PDC all the way in. As others have mentioned in other threads, none of mine were fully seated.

4wdiver

Reaction score
Disillusion thanks for the info. I tried it on my 19 marine longhorn and it worked. The only plugs that are now hot all the time are the 2 on the back of the center console for the rear seat passengers. Thanks again for the info.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Disillusion thanks for the info. I tried it on my 19 marine longhorn and it worked. The only plugs that are now hot all the time are the 2 on the back of the center console for the rear seat passengers. Thanks again for the info.
Thanks for the response, @4wdiver. Because I havent' had a chance to try it yet, I was lalso curious as to which exact ports it would effect. Guess a lot of stuff carries over exactly from the 1500s.

dupwee00

Reaction score
Great info!! Going to try to move it from always on to batt. Thank you again!!!

MaximumSteel

Reaction score
I moved f90/91 from IGN to BATT in my 2019 Power Wagon and it lit up the front USBs used for Car Play - not the rear passenger USB's. Did it at lunch quick so I'll have to spend more time reverifying later. Also as mentioned upthread almost none of the fuses were seated all the way.

Distillusion

Reaction score
It makes more sense to light up the front USBs rather than the rear ones, but why not all of them? One of those odd things...

Marshfly

Reaction score
Just FYI. This works on the older trucks too. I did it on my 2014 3500.

TexMarQue

Reaction score
My 2500 USB ports are all hot all the time. Front and back. I didn’t change anything, and it doesn’t look like my fuse box has the ability to make the swap everyone else is talking about.

Distillusion

Reaction score
My 2500 USB ports are all hot all the time. Front and back. I didn’t change anything, and it doesn’t look like my fuse box has the ability to make the swap everyone else is talking about.
Can you post a pic of your fusebox? I'd like to see what's different.

dirtydog24

Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed it takes a lot longer to charge a phone on usb than the usual cigarette lighter type charger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMarQue

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your fusebox? I'd like to see what's different.
Here it is. Let me know if I need to get better pics of the fuse diagram. You’ll see f90/91 are labeled as spare, and usb rear is f104.

Attachments

• 3CA3A0C0-64B9-4C06-BAB6-EEDF27CBD09B.jpeg
    3CA3A0C0-64B9-4C06-BAB6-EEDF27CBD09B.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 761735C3-765B-4D25-8AA6-DDBEF15DBBBA.jpeg
    761735C3-765B-4D25-8AA6-DDBEF15DBBBA.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 0DB95533-B836-4312-B71B-C74D5257CD21.jpeg
    0DB95533-B836-4312-B71B-C74D5257CD21.jpeg
    693.1 KB · Views: 180

Distillusion

Reaction score
Here it is. Let me know if I need to get better pics of the fuse diagram. You’ll see f90/91 are labeled as spare, and usb rear is f104.
Thanks! The pics are quite fine. Yep, they've clearly made a change. It's the same general fusebox and you can see that f90/91 is still set up for use as either ignition controlled or full time use. So there's a circuit in there you could use for something else if you want. (possibly)

F104 in the old manual had the same label for "UCI Port / USB Rear (HD Only)." UCI is probably UConnect Interface. I'm guessing that the newer USB hub equipment is getting all its power from the Uconnect system. Do you have the 8.4" or the 12"?

TexMarQue

Reaction score
Thanks! The pics are quite fine. Yep, they've clearly made a change. It's the same general fusebox and you can see that f90/91 is still set up for use as either ignition controlled or full time use. So there's a circuit in there you could use for something else if you want. (possibly)

F104 in the old manual had the same label for "UCI Port / USB Rear (HD Only)." UCI is probably UConnect Interface. I'm guessing that the newer USB hub equipment is getting all its power from the Uconnect system. Do you have the 8.4" or the 12"?
I have the 8.4. F67 is also uci/usb front. I believe any of my ports (except the one in the center console) can send media to the Uconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread