Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alt Trailer Height

mountainears

Reaction score
Can’t seem to get it to work. I’ve tried it with trailer attached, empty and loaded. And without a trailer attached.

It goes through the lowering process and at the end it cancels saying it can’t due to payload. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22limited

Reaction score
Trailer doesn’t have enough weight to justify it.
Did it with my dump trailer load with mulch didn’t work.
But my toy hauler 3000+ pin weight it will work

mountainears

Reaction score
I’ll try it again when I have a loaded trailer.

Would be nice if you could just use it all the time. Sometimes (I think due to the leveling) the truck just isn’t at the right height to jack it off the hitch :)

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m guessing you’re talking about a 3500.

I’ve found it takes ~750lbs of additional payload on the rear axle to be able to get ALT Ride height.

My 18 would stay in ALT when the payload was removed, but the ride height would return to normal because the springs could lift it back to normal with minimum pressure in the bags.

The 22 returns to normal ride height when the payload is removed.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Can’t seem to get it to work. I’ve tried it with trailer attached, empty and loaded. And without a trailer attached.

It goes through the lowering process and at the end it cancels saying it can’t due to payload. Thoughts?

I have seen guys with bumper pull enclosed trailers and the ALT Trailer height doesn't really do anything. It really works when you have a gooseneck or 5th wheel and the trailer is a little nose high. I have about 3500lbs of pin weight and the truck levels up tpo about 40" from the ground to the bottom of the rear fender - trailer may sit a little nose high but nothing crazy - I have not used the ALT trailer height - but from what I have seen on other rigs is it lowers the back about 1" overall.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen guys with bumper pull enclosed trailers and the ALT Trailer height doesn't really do anything. It really works when you have a gooseneck or 5th wheel and the trailer is a little nose high. I have about 3500lbs of pin weight and the truck levels up tpo about 40" from the ground to the bottom of the rear fender - trailer may sit a little nose high but nothing crazy - I have not used the ALT trailer height - but from what I have seen on other rigs is it lowers the back about 1" overall.

Because of the leverage behind the rear axle a bumper pull doesn’t have to have the same weight as weight in the bed, but a WDH may effect that on light trailers.

The rear does drop 1”. The main advantage to ALT is that it lower the rear suspension and engages the overloads that help with stability while towing. There is less body roll, and less suspension movement for the same RAW as in Normal.

I have found that if sufficient payload exists to engage ALT you will have improved handling and a better ride, and it should be used every time is possible.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Because of the leverage behind the rear axle a bumper pull doesn’t have to have the same weight as weight in the bed, but a WDH may effect that on light trailers.

The rear does drop 1”. The main advantage to ALT is that it lower the rear suspension and engages the overloads that help with stability while towing. There is less body roll, and less suspension movement for the same RAW as in Normal.

I have found that if sufficient payload exists to engage ALT you will have improved handling and a better ride, and it should be used every time is possible.

I only have towed one short trip in town with the trailer and this 2023 truck to drop it off at Camping World. I will say the ride is much better with factory air vs the trucks I had aftermarket air bags in. The leaf packs are very different in this truck with the factory air as well, so I am sure that has a lot do with it.

We have a 1400 mile round trip at the end of the month - I will see how the ALT Height looks wit the trailer hooked up.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The leaf packs are very different in this truck with the factory air as well, so I am sure that has a lot do with it.

Yes, quite different. Two softer full length leaves in Norm, and some very HD long overloads in Norm.
We have a 1400 mile round trip at the end of the month - I will see how the ALT Height looks wit the trailer hooked up.

If the trailer looks off, or is off, too much in ALT I would adjust hitch and/or trailer height to accommodate ALT.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Yes, quite different. Two softer full length leaves in Norm, and some very HD long overloads in Norm.

If the trailer looks off, or is off, too much in ALT I would adjust hitch and/or trailer height to accommodate ALT.

I have the companion on the middle setting...I am not sure I can go any lower without sacrificing clearance between the bed rails and cap of the 5ht wheel - much rather have the nose slightly up vs hitting the bedrails. I dont think the 1" lower with the ALT height is going to make much differnce in the ride or how it tows - but cant hurt either.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the companion on the middle setting...I am not sure I can go any lower without sacrificing clearance between the bed rails and cap of the 5ht wheel - much rather have the nose slightly up vs hitting the bedrails. I dont think the 1" lower with the ALT height is going to make much differnce in the ride or how it tows - but cant hurt either.

It makes a big difference in how it tows, those lower overloads are awesome, and do a great job with stability and handling. The empty ride is great with the auto-level, but the loaded ability in alternate is the best part of the system.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m guessing you’re talking about a 3500.

I’ve found it takes ~750lbs of additional payload on the rear axle to be able to get ALT Ride height.

My 18 would stay in ALT when the payload was removed, but the ride height would return to normal because the springs could lift it back to normal with minimum pressure in the bags.

The 22 returns to normal ride height when the payload is removed.

My 2020 will stay in Alt height until moved around and/or 8MPH. That said, it's done some weird stuff on occasion.

Ditto

I also prefer to use Alt as it levels the 5thwheel to within 1/2" (still nose high) and also levels out the boat out back. Next set of trailer tires will be one size up (+1" dia) so I'll get it nailed.

Dave01

Reaction score
Really surprised to hear that the 3500 won't lower without a payload. In my 2500 I can lower and raise empty.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Really surprised to hear that the 3500 won't lower without a payload. In my 2500 I can lower and raise empty.

That’s because when empty the 3500 rides on steel springs and minimum air in the bags, while the 2500 only rides in air.

Dave01

Reaction score
That’s because when empty the 3500 rides on steel springs and minimum air in the bags, while the 2500 only rides in air.
Oh thanks I should have seen that reference above.

Users who are viewing this thread