Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

all metric or do I still need SAE wrenches/sockets?

dogbreath650

Reaction score
Putting together a basic toolkit to keep in the truck. On my 2023 do I still need to carry SAE wrenches/sockets or is everything metric by now? Thanks

flan

Reaction score
I can’t say fir sure, having both is a good strategy though. Many sizes can be close enough to swap out 8mm=5/16 1/2=13mm 3/4=18mm etc. roll around under your truck and test out some random bolts. May be surprised...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nothing is imperial unless installed aftermarket. Owning any imperial tools to work on almost any vehicle from the last almost 30 years is pretty close to pointless.

jadmt

Reaction score
I can’t say fir sure, having both is a good strategy though. Many sizes can be close enough to swap out 8mm=5/16 1/2=13mm 3/4=18mm etc. roll around under your truck and test out some random bolts. May be surprised...
3/4=19mm

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Oh well I tried :p
Im just busting your balls a bit i usually carry a standard set if impact sockets in my truck so thats all i use for wheel changes too but in my defence all my trailers have standard thread lugs :D

jsalbre

Reaction score
What about 3/8 drive and 1” drive? Cant forget those ones!
1" drive sockets hurt my wallet.

FWIW, I carry metric and SAE because 75% of the time I use my tools its on somebody else's rig, not my own.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
1" drive sockets hurt my wallet.

FWIW, I carry metric and SAE because 75% of the time I use my tools its on somebody else's rig, not my own.
Yea i have lots of 1” drive not cheap!

If im working on peoples crap its at my shop so i dont bother carrying my tools for that just a set of sockets and cordless impact for tires. But i do carry lots of tools back and forth from the shop to work and to home depending what im doing where lol

Users who are viewing this thread