Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin fluid - Did Mopar change suppliers?

jeffn

Reaction score
I just came back from my dealer, where I had intended to get the transmission and transfer case fluid changed. I was on time this morning, considering they called me 5 times, and emailed me in the last week to confirm the appointment. The service advisor says, "I don't think we have any fluid in stock." He comes back after a few minutes and says:
- Mopar changed suppliers
- We haven't had any fluid in 3 weeks
- We won't have any transmission fluid until December

Okay, @RamCares, time to start caring.

1) Is this true, or is it typical dealer bull$hit?
2) If true, why would Chrysler switch a supplier without having an adequate buffer stock to hold over while transitioning? This is an absolutely boneheaded procurement choice you made.
3) Why would you hold dealers to Mopar-branded fluid when they can't get it and deliver a horrendously bad customer experience?

Honestly, I like my RAM truck, but when it comes time to replace it, there is one reason I would not buy another RAM. Every RAM dealer I have experienced:
- Is terrible at communication (why they let me schedule a service they could not perform is an open question)
- Outright lies
- Overcharges for basic services
- Has underinvested in modern customer service technology

I am not alone. Your dealers suck. Maybe I will buy a GMC; I hear their interior game has stepped up.
Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 9.14.31 AM.png

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Source the fluid on your own and either change it yourself or take it to your local mechanic. Either way you’ll likely save money and get better work done. Keep your receipts and a log for warranty.

The dealership should really only be used for recalls and warranty work, since you don’t have a choice. Just my 0.02.

jeffn

Reaction score
Source the fluid on your own and either change it yourself or take it to your local mechanic. Either way you’ll likely save money and get better work done. Keep your receipts and a log for warranty.

The dealership should really only be used for recalls and warranty work, since you don’t have a choice. Just my 0.02.
I would but if you saw my daily to-do list for my farm you would understand why taking it in is the easy choice. I do engine oil and fuel filter changes because I can get that done in about 15 minutes.

I am so tired of working 16 hours a day, driving 30k miles a year in the process. Sometimes I just want to sit back, catch up on phone calls, and let someone else do the work.

Speaking of, I have to get back to work:
- change a tire on my gooseneck dump, take the flat out for repair
- rebuild the PTO clutch for my rotary cutter
- 20 post holes, which I have to do first because my auger is on the tractor and it is a PITA to take on/off but what I really need to do is run through about 10 acres of rough pasture with the rotary cutter
- run over to pick up fertilizer and feed
- install electrical for new lighting
- reposition 15 pieces of temporary cattle guards
- honeybee inspection
- unclog an irrigation ditch
- inspect/fuel/service water pumps, and while I am at at I need to move one over to a cattle pond and pump it down
- head over to Kubota to pick up 15 gallons of super UDT2. I have a leak on my tractor that I have not been able to fix, so I’m using fluid. If I had the time to replace the transmission fluid on my truck, I would devote it to this problem.

Like I said, sometimes I just don’t want more things on my to-do list.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I would but if you saw my daily to-do list for my farm you would understand why taking it in is the easy choice. I do engine oil and fuel filter changes because I can get that done in about 15 minutes.

I am so tired of working 16 hours a day, driving 30k miles a year in the process. Sometimes I just want to sit back, catch up on phone calls, and let someone else do the work.

Speaking of, I have to get back to work:
- change a tire on my gooseneck dump, take the flat out for repair
- rebuild the PTO clutch for my rotary cutter
- 20 post holes, which I have to do first because my auger is on the tractor and it is a PITA to take on/off but what I really need to do is run through about 10 acres of rough pasture with the rotary cutter
- run over to pick up fertilizer and feed
- install electrical for new lighting
- reposition 15 pieces of temporary cattle guards
- honeybee inspection
- unclog an irrigation ditch
- inspect/fuel/service water pumps, and while I am at at I need to move one over to a cattle pond and pump it down
- head over to Kubota to pick up 15 gallons of super UDT2. I have a leak on my tractor that I have not been able to fix, so I’m using fluid. If I had the time to replace the transmission fluid on my truck, I would devote it to this problem.

Like I said, sometimes I just don’t want more things on my to-do list.

My $.02 is to find a good local, independant diesel mechanic for the stuff you want to outsource. I use a Navy vet that's meticulous about his work, very fair on pricing, and knows his ****. He's cheaper than the dealer, does a better job, and hes easy to work with. I shoot him a text, setup a drop off time, and then go pick it up when hes done. Dealers are only for recall work at best and all of them suck around here, doesn't matter if its a Ram, Chevy, or Ford dealer - You're stuck with the suck.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve encountered similar issues trying to source ASRC fluid. It’s been difficult to find. I waited four weeks to get the two gallons I needed to do the 30k drain and fill on my 2022. The fluid has also been the hold-up for multiple trucks waiting to get the K1 snap ring repair completed. I’m not convinced it’s a supplier change. I’d be more inclined to believe it’s a low-stock, high-demand issue just like every other component on these trucks currently. As far as I know ASRC is pretty specific and only used in a small number of applications. It is the same as Mobil 3309, which also seems to be difficult to find.

wyvern

Reaction score
I’ve encountered similar issues trying to source ASRC fluid. It’s been difficult to find. I waited four weeks to get the two gallons I needed to do the 30k drain and fill on my 2022. The fluid has also been the hold-up for multiple trucks waiting to get the K1 snap ring repair completed. I’m not convinced it’s a supplier change. I’d be more inclined to believe it’s a low-stock, high-demand issue just like every other component on these trucks currently. As far as I know ASRC is pretty specific and only used in a small number of applications. It is the same as Mobil 3309, which also seems to be difficult to find.
I was just going to ask if 3309 is an applicable substitute as it seems relatively common.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

It has a small number of applications because it’s an old and outdated fluid. It’s the same fluid our 03 4Runner uses, also the last year the 4Runners used that spec. It’s probably the oldest spec fluid used in any modern vehicle.

There are modern options, such as Amsoil ATF, that have ASRC on the bottle and are easier to obtain.

BikePilot

Reaction score
The Aisin has a sticker on the side that calls for Mobil 3309. Easy enough to get and probably faster to change it yourself than drive to the dealer and wait for them even if they have it in stock. I buy mine here:

downsc123

Reaction score
The Aisin has a sticker on the side that calls for Mobil 3309. Easy enough to get and probably faster to change it yourself than drive to the dealer and wait for them even if they have it in stock. I buy mine here:
Sort of off topic but it there a better way to fill than using gravity down the very small diameter dip stick piping?

BikePilot

Reaction score
Sort of off topic but it there a better way to fill than using gravity down the very small diameter dip stick piping?
I've thought about using my extractor to push fluid in, but I also use it for changing oil on the wife's car and cleaning it well is too much work.... A dedicated one would work pretty well I think.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Sure does. I suspect the Mopar stuff is made by Mobil

IMG_2031.jpg

Last edited:

MotoFish

Reaction score
Ok, you guys are ALWAYS helpful. I was in need of the Mopar fluid for my Aisin (30k drain N fill). Always planned on doing this myself anyways. However, can’t find fluid and NO Ram dealers or suppliers have in stock or will send. When I asked about some form of alternative ok fluid…. CRICKETS!!! So, Ordered two Gallons from Summit Racing on Sept 1, OEM Mopar fluid. Supposed to get to me quickly. Had estimated ship date on 9/5, then 9/11, then 9/18, now 10/9!?!? WHAT!!!?! Because of this thread, I found the sticker above on my Aisin and ordered 8 qts of Mobile 3309 from Speed Way Motors! Saved me $43 from the OEM fluid to buy the same Mobil 3309 fluid without the Mopar stamp!?! So lame, but grateful, trying to keep my 100k warranty on solid ground. This post saved me from waiting any longer on OEM fluid delays! Thanks again guys

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 6

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I just did mine a couple months ago.. ordered the Mobil 3309 from amazon as cheap as anywhere I found it, about $90 for 12 qts, currently shows in stock with 1 week delivery. I did the full service, dropping the pan, filters and flush for the first time for me and it took maybe 2 hours, and cost me around $200 total. dealer wanted around $600 if I remember correctly. overall it was pretty darn easy. Due to my location I couldn't have had it done quicker taking it somewhere. if you are just doing the 30k fluid change its easier than doing an oil change. as for refilling I have a funnel that fits the dip stick tube perfectly and filling goes pretty quick, just 1 quart at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread