Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin CSN \ Recall

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
My truck was one of the lucky winners of the 4400 or so with the possible Aisin K1 Snap ring issue, no problem yet at 16,500 miles but we are leaving on October 5th for a 2 month trip pulling a 44' Toy Hauler.
I got in touch with my local dealer yesterday and he said he would order the parts (snap ring and gaskets it looks like) and would get me in ASAP when they arrive.
My question... has anyone with a still operating transmission had this procedure done yet? and if so how long did it take (CSN says 4.5 hours)?
I'm really wondering if I should have this done right before a trip like this since the truck is running fine but I sure don't want the transmission to fail pulling a 25,000 lb. trailer in the Rockies and totally ruin my vacation...

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not aware of anyone who has had CSN 71A completed as of yet.

However, the procedure they explain in the documents I read say that they’re only going to replace the flawed snap ring with the updated snap ring, provided the truck comes in running and driving with the old snap ring still functioning. That being said, the repair process is going to be identical to TSB 21-002-23 which basically requires dropping the transmission, checking fore end play, and removing the K1 hub assembly from inside. Swapping the snap ring, and reinstalling the transmission / relearning it.

The warranty pay out time says around 4 hours.

Based on the techs and the engineers I’ve spoken with, a skilled tech is going to be hustling to finish that in 4 hours. It’s basically an 8 hour job. Figure a total of two days one to pull and disassemble, one to reassemble and reinstall, re-learn and road test. That would be my guess anyway.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am not aware of anyone who has had CSN 71A completed as of yet.

However, the procedure they explain in the documents I read say that they’re only going to replace the flawed snap ring with the updated snap ring, provided the truck comes in running and driving with the old snap ring still functioning. That being said, the repair process is going to be identical to TSB 21-002-23 which basically requires dropping the transmission, checking fore end play, and removing the K1 hub assembly from inside. Swapping the snap ring, and reinstalling the transmission / relearning it.

The warranty pay out time says around 4 hours.

Based on the techs and the engineers I’ve spoken with, a skilled tech is going to be hustling to finish that in 4 hours. It’s basically an 8 hour job. Figure a total of two days one to pull and disassemble, one to reassemble and reinstall, re-learn and road test. That would be my guess anyway.
I have never been inside the aisin but asfar as removeal and install of the trans its about 1.5hrs out and 1hr-1.5 hrs install so i can see it being done in a reasonable 6 hrs start to finish

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I got a call from The case manager yesterday (Ram Customer Care) they informed me that the parts should be available October 18th for the CSN 71 for my truck, well that's awesome but I will be 2 weeks into a 2 month long trip to Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona pulling a 44' Toy hauler ...... hopefully it doesn't let me down on this trip, I have towing insurance for the truck and trailer if it does and I'll try to find someone to move the trailer for me from campground to campground and I'll rent a car to get around, I looked into renting a 3500 truck but the costs looks to be around $300 \ day and I'm sure RAM won't cover it.
I hate to have to worry about this during the trip, I've been trying to get Dealers to look at it for months but of coarse got the ole "we can't do anything until it fails" hopefully all my worrying is for nothing and the truck continues to perform fine until I get back, this will be the 4th trip for the truck out West this year so hopefully she makes one more. :)

Thewookie

Reaction score
I got a call from The case manager yesterday (Ram Customer Care) they informed me that the parts should be available October 18th for the CSN 71 for my truck, well that's awesome but I will be 2 weeks into a 2 month long trip to Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona pulling a 44' Toy hauler ...... hopefully it doesn't let me down on this trip, I have towing insurance for the truck and trailer if it does and I'll try to find someone to move the trailer for me from campground to campground and I'll rent a car to get around, I looked into renting a 3500 truck but the costs looks to be around $300 \ day and I'm sure RAM won't cover it.
I hate to have to worry about this during the trip, I've been trying to get Dealers to look at it for months but of coarse got the ole "we can't do anything until it fails" hopefully all my worrying is for nothing and the truck continues to perform fine until I get back, this will be the 4th trip for the truck out West this year so hopefully she makes one more. :)
I’m new here with my new to me 3500 with a 5/22 build. I hope your trip went well, how’d you do?

faller

Reaction score
I would get it done before your trip. I didnt before going on a moose hunting trip in Oct. with 10,000 miles on odometer. Half a day hunting and snap ring let go. 4 hour tow from Nimpo lake to Williams lake Dodge dealer to get it fixed. Gustafson dodge had me fixed with in 5 hours and I was back hunting, still trying to get reimbursed for $1500 tow bill. 2022 Ram 3500 Limited Aisin H.O. Bagged a nice moose so everything was good. From Campbell River British Columbia.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I would get it done before your trip. I didnt before going on a moose hunting trip in Oct. with 10,000 miles on odometer. Half a day hunting and snap ring let go. 4 hour tow from Nimpo lake to Williams lake Dodge dealer to get it fixed. Gustafson dodge had me fixed with in 5 hours and I was back hunting, still trying to get reimbursed for $1500 tow bill. 2022 Ram 3500 Limited Aisin H.O. Bagged a nice moose so everything was good. From Campbell River British Columbia.
A little late for that, :) the trip was in October \ November and the truck did great towing at 32,000 lbs for 9500 miles, I had the Transmission Snap Ring CSN done in December when I got back from the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread