Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Tank Question

Diamond629

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 2500 Laramie with rear air suspension. I noticed there is a quick disconnect on the factory tank and I’m wondering if anyone knows if this can be used for aftermarket accessories like air horns or tire inflation? I thought it was just a drain but it has more of a quick disconnect look to it. Picture attached...986EBDF9-E0AE-4615-9665-08A72F95065F.jpeg

Hawk375

Reaction score
It’s only meant to pre-charge the system with nitrogen. The little compressor isn’t able pressurize the suspension from empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 80

Not advised. Anything that uses much volume could overheat the compressor, and/or throw a code.

Diamond629

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure before I purchase some type of on-board air setup.

Distillusion

Reaction score
The air suspension system is a closed system. The tank is just a reservoir of spare nitrogen. The compressor pulls N2 from the tank to fill the airbags as needed. When reducing pressure in the airbags, excess N2 returns to the tank. The tank does get pressurized when Ram fills it, and when you have the airbags serviced or replaced. That's because you need enough nitrogen in the system to fill and pressurize the airbags. If there's no nitrogen in the tank, there's nothing to fill the airbags.

It's filled with nitrogen to stay dry. You open it up, you get normal air with water vapor in it. Water gets into your lines and air bags, starts them rotting from the inside. Plus moisture has been known to collect in the valves and freezing stuck in cold weather conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread