Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air sucking noise on driver side under load

Joe2bear

Reaction score
Hey All!

I have the HO Cummins and only under load do I hear some whoosing air intake noise. I had a SO 2019 before this 2020 and never heard this before. Everything looks stock on here.

Has anyone had this issue before with a stock truck? I can't get it to replicate at idle or revving. Only under load. Thoughts?

flan

Reaction score
More than likely a leak in the intercooler system. The air sucking noise is more than likely a air blowing noise. Primary suspects are your “hump hoses” a.k.a. Intercooler boots. The passenger side coming off the turbo compressor has been known to develop a hole from a nearby cable chaffing a hole in it. Other area of interest is the 2 on the driver side from intercooler to intake horn have worked their way out from under the clamps from improper tightening after the CP4 recall. The best way if it’s not obvious is to either make or buy a charge air cooler test fitting, to pressurize the entire system to see where the deficiency is.

Here’s a link as an example,I didn’t research to see if it would fit the inlet of our turbo housings. One can easily be made with fernco fittings and some pvc parts from the plumbing section at Home Depot.

Joe2bear

Reaction score
Thank you, will try to narrow this down and report back. Will look at the areas mentioned by you

Joe2bear

Reaction score
End up being the clamp on the top of the boot being loose. Tighten it up, stop all of the noise. Thanks for the help!

flan

Reaction score
End up being the clamp on the top of the boot being loose. Tighten it up, stop all of the noise. Thanks for the help!
No problem. At least it didn’t require a dealer visit.

flan

Reaction score
And didn’t blow off going down the road.
Been there before. I thought my engine internals were going to be all over the road. Nope, just a boot..

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Me too and luckily I didn’t lose the clamp in the middle of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread