Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aggressive off road tires on rear only, 2WD 3500 SRW

amauri

Reaction score
I'll be using my truck to haul supplies (pulling a 10k lbs trailer) up dirt roads and need a bit more traction.
I have two extra 18" OEM wheels and am thinking of mounting a pair of off-road tires similar to the Cooper STT Pro on the rear only.
Would appreciate any insight on possible handling issues with miss matched tires on a 2WD truck, I have Michelins on the front.

I'm not planning on doing a lot of highway mileage on them, just bolting them on when I need too.

Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'll be using my truck to haul supplies (pulling a 10k lbs trailer) up dirt roads and need a bit more traction.
I have two extra 18" OEM wheels and am thinking of mounting a pair of off-road tires similar to the Cooper STT Pro on the rear only.
Would appreciate any insight on possible handling issues with miss matched tires on a 2WD truck, I have Michelins on the front.

I'm not planning on doing a lot of highway mileage on them, just bolting them on when I need too.

Thanks
You will be fine

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Full send, just know that if the off-road travel is slippery the front won’t have as good of braking and steering may be an issue. Otherwise, no issues.

amauri

Reaction score
It will be fine. The bigger life lesson here is never buy a 2wd truck.
I've owned lots of pickup trucks since my first in 83, both 4WD and 2WD.
I prefer 2WD for what I do, I believe it is the better option 99.9% of the time. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread