Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Wheels - Stock Offset?

stan8331

Reaction score
Have a new 2021 2500 Tradesman with the 18" wheels. Intended to get a set of black aftermarket wheels, for appearance and lighter weight, but have been frustrated by the fact that virtually all budget off the shelf aftermarket wheels have a significantly smaller positive offset vs stock, most commonly 18mm (vs 42mm stock). That would push the wheels out an inch, and I just can't see any benefit for my application, which is primarily towing.

Is anyone aware of sub-$200 aluminum 18" wheels that have anywhere close to stock offset? IMG_20210518_191357270_HDRc.jpg

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
You are going to find that very difficult this day and age as I did, as most wheel manufactures are making wheels pushing them out, my 2019 Bighorn with the 18" polished aluminum wheels are +57 stock. I ended up getting 18x9 +18 was about the best I could do based on lack of any inventory. I ordered the Battle Born Echo wheels. I will have the polished aluminum wheels with tpms for sale soon if my new tpms would ever show up. The Battle Born wheels will eventually will be going on my 2022 3500 when it shows up.

Attachments

• IMG_6109.JPG
    IMG_6109.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5888.JPG
    IMG_5888.JPG
    593.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

stan8331

Reaction score
You could pick up factory Power Wagon wheels but they are 17's. They have a little less backspacing than the typical factory wheel. I am running 35x12.5's on them with zero rubbing and they don't stick out like a lot of these aftermarket wheels do.

https://www.wheelership.com/brand-n...RfzLSB0hVCDsomOufV3qYVIP06DB6ZjBoCDFEQAvD_BwE
That's not bad pricing on the Powerwagon wheels, but 17's would force me to buy new tires, which I'd really rather not do, and I think all black will look best on my truck. Seems like I'll have to decide between +18mm offset and just keeping the stock wheels. :(

Highcountry

Reaction score
Have you considered having the stockers wrapped or powder coated? I've been toying with the idea of gunmetal gray, although I do like the Bighorn wheels on my silver truck

WisHawk

Reaction score
I went through the same thoughts and was going to purchase the Battle Born Wheels. Than I ran a cross a set of new take off rims on craigslist for very reasonable amount.
And had a local powder coater take care of the rest. I know I spent more than buying the Battle Born Wheels. But I am enjoying the results.

Attachments

• wheelpc.jpg
    wheelpc.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 65
  • MY35002021.jpg
    MY35002021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I went through the same thoughts and was going to purchase the Battle Born Wheels. Than I ran a cross a set of new take off rims on craigslist for very reasonable amount.
And had a local powder coater take care of the rest. I know I spent more than buying the Battle Born Wheels. But I am enjoying the results.
I thought about going that route, but up where I'm located everyone wanted a small mint for there oem wheels if you could find any and finding a good powder coater is another, so going to an aftermarket wheel made sense for me.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Looks great, patiently waiting for my Max Steal ‘21 to arrive!

sorry op, nothing helpful to contribute:(

stan8331

Reaction score
The stock wheels would probably look pretty good powder coated, but it would be a large expense to put into stock steel wheels. I'm leaning toward going with +18mm aftermarket - at least I can get something fairly lightweight, for a reasonable cost. Level 8 had a decent looking wheel that was +25mm, but they just discontinued them. :rolleyes:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The stock wheels would probably look pretty good powder coated, but it would be a large expense to put into stock steel wheels. I'm leaning toward going with +18mm aftermarket - at least I can get something fairly lightweight, for a reasonable cost. Level 8 had a decent looking wheel that was +25mm, but they just discontinued them. :rolleyes:
Don't forget to account for wheel width when comparing to aftermarket wheels using offset. Most of the aftermarket will be 9" whereas the stockers are probably 8". It might be better to convert that offset to backspacing and then compare. There can be a 1/2" difference right there.

stan8331

Reaction score
Don't forget to account for wheel width when comparing to aftermarket wheels using offset. Most of the aftermarket will be 9" whereas the stockers are probably 8". It might be better to convert that offset to backspacing and then compare. There can be a 1/2" difference right there.

Hadn't realized the stock width is only 8". That partially explains why the offset is less, but it means you'd have to re-calibrate the speedometer, as well, to keep it spot-on. Plus the wheel still sticks out an inch farther.
Never could have guessed that finding an aftermarket stock replacement wheel would be a virtually impossible task. o_O

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Hadn't realized the stock width is only 8". That partially explains why the offset is less, but it means you'd have to re-calibrate the speedometer, as well, to keep it spot-on. Plus the wheel still sticks out an inch farther.
Never could have guessed that finding an aftermarket stock replacement wheel would be a virtually impossible task. o_O
It is only the overall tire diameter that will affect the speedo in a large way. I doubt the effect of going to a 1" wider wheel will affect the overall diameter of the tire much. +18mm to +20mm on a 17x9 or an 18x9 wheel seems to be the sweet spot for those going to a larger tire ( both taller and wider). I expect it will work well for a stock tire size too.

That is a great looking truck. I think black wheels will even make it look better!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Also, speedo recalibration is pretty easy if you get one of the tools to do it. I used AlfaOBD. It has a bit of a learning curve but there are helpful videos and posts about it.

stan8331

Reaction score
It is only the overall tire diameter that will affect the speedo in a large way. I doubt the effect of going to a 1" wider wheel will affect the overall diameter of the tire much. +18mm to +20mm on a 17x9 or an 18x9 wheel seems to be the sweet spot for those going to a larger tire ( both taller and wider). I expect it will work well for a stock tire size too.

That is a great looking truck. I think black wheels will even make it look better!
Thanks! When I bought it, I had in mind that it would look good with black wheels. Didn't imagine that stock wheel dimensions would be so unpopular, nobody even offers them. May just have to suck it up and get the +18mm...

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Keep in mind that when you alter the backspacing, tire diameter, tire width, etc., you will alter your scrub radius which can have a negative impact on how your vehicles steering feels and reacts. It can even lead to more wear and tear on steering and suspension components since higher forces may be applied. I would begin by measuring your kingpin inclination axis and calculate where it intersects with the ground plane relative to the centerline of your stock wheel and tire.
I think you will be happy with black wheels, I dug up a old pic of my old 2015 3500 Bluestreak with black Buckshot rims on it. As I said I ordered the Battle Born Echo Rims 18x9 +18 for my 2019/2022 truck and they look great in person. I asked for a veteran rate on 5 of them and he gave me a great deal that I can't disclose, you will just have to call Chris @ Battle Born if they are for you. I haven't mounted them with my Cooper AT3 Xlt 275/70/18 yet as my other 4 new tpms's have not came in yet from Mopar wholesale parts yet along with the Power Wagon fender flares.

But you can decide as to which wheels will fit your needs as my taste may differ from yours.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    489.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6110.JPG
    IMG_6110.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread