Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket "OEM Style" digital rear view mirror

stinson87

Reaction score
When I saw the first digital rear view mirror in the newer trucks, I wanted that option for my 2019 tradesman.

from what I could find, the OEM 2022 mirror is ~$650 and the camera is ~$600, I could not find the actual parts for the trailer integration.

After searching for a while I found this mirror from master tailgaters. IT uses a 1080p front sensor and a AHD 1080p rear camera. doing a bit of testing I have also concluded that this should be capable of doing a trailer camera option as well for a "see thru" trailer that I will cover later. This option which has a dash cam built in ranges from $195-$220 depending on sales and shipping.

IMG_20211202_163925.jpg

This mirror is designed as a replacement for your standard mirror or auto tinting mirror.
IMG_20211202_164711.jpg
Included in the packaging is the mirror monitor, cables, spare window mount, zip ties, cable cover, and the rear view camera. The mirror is almost exactly the same size as an auto dimming mirror, slightly larger than a manual dimming mirror. The mount adjustments are same as OEM and very sturdy.

This was very easy to install with the tool included to release the set screw on the original mirror and slide it upwards off the mount. then adjust the LCD mirror to about match the factory position and slide it onto the mount. then route the cable up into the headliner. A more in-depth installation and operation will be posted soon. The camera has two mounting options with various angles of mounting available with each option.

The mirror is controlled through a touch frame design, so you do not have to get fingerprints on the mirror. The angle of the camera view can be adjusted for the front and rear camera, brightness, and recording modes. The camera does really well in daylight and is enough to see well at night.
IMG_20211202_205849.jpgIMG_20211202_171143.jpg

currently I have their included camera on the third brake light: (this will change when my flush mount AHD camera comes in)
IMG_20211214_111042 (1).jpg

For more information,
my video:
master tailgaters website: https://www.mastertailgaters.com/coll...
amazon listing https://www.amazon.com/Master-Tailgat...

I am working on an auto switching trailer connection and have a better AHD camera for the tail light on order. Ill update with that install when it comes in. It will be much closer to the example below, but the one below is not compatible since it is not AHD. This is the brand motion standard definition camera from crutchfield. I will be installing mine into the factory light.
g212FL7626-F.jpg

NC Rebel

Reaction score
**subscribed **

Thanks for sharing ! I am really interested in seeing how well it holds up .

stinson87

Reaction score
I have had it installed about 3 weeks now. I have had zero issues, and have put it through just about everything besides extreme heat. It has been frozen rained on hailed on, frozen solid in freezing rain... And hit with a desk . The interior monitor has only seen the temperature fluctuations though. Lucky for me I do not have a ram that it rains inside.

My replacement camera shipped yesterday so hopefully it will be here within the next 1 to 24 weeks from China

herdbull

Reaction score
lol...

"My replacement camera shipped yesterday so hopefully it will be here within the next 1 to 24 weeks from China"

Does this mirror have the auto-dim feature? Hard to tell from the website. I am wanting to replace my factory mirror in my Tradesman with an auto-dim as well as add a camera for 5th wheel hitch up. Might as well try and kill 2 birds with one stone.

stinson87

Reaction score
lol...

"My replacement camera shipped yesterday so hopefully it will be here within the next 1 to 24 weeks from China"

Does this mirror have the auto-dim feature? Hard to tell from the website. I am wanting to replace my factory mirror in my Tradesman with an auto-dim as well as add a camera for 5th wheel hitch up. Might as well try and kill 2 birds with one stone.
There is no point of an autodim mirror with this, it does not actually reflect anything, the camera naturally dims at night due to less light, headlights "in the mirror" cannot be brighter than the screens power so its not blinding when someone is behind you.

I am working on a "CHMSL" camera but currently cannot use the factory or an easy drop in replacement option since the mirror unit is AHD, you have to use an AHD 1080p camera. my first camera came in from China and I am working with them since it is stuck in black and white only.

herdbull

Reaction score
so is this thing "on" all the time? Not sure that would work for me as I only want to use the 5th wheel hitch viewing when I hitch-up/in reverse like a back up camera.

stinson87

Reaction score
so is this thing "on" all the time? Not sure that would work for me as I only want to use the 5th wheel hitch viewing when I hitch-up/in reverse like a back up camera.
yes, it is on all tie time just like the OEM option, it gives you an unobstructed view out the back of the truck. that you normally get from the rear view camera. this is also a DVR, so it records all of the time and locks file on impact. the display is actually annoying if setup with the reversing switch since it is constantly switching between front and rear cameras, I leave it as a rear view camera all the time. you can manually turn it off, I guess but you will not have any rear view mirror, that I use to verify if cars are near me changing lanes, merging on interstates, or tailgating me to allow me to give more space ahead of me. I find myself using the digital rear view mirror even more than the useless oem mirror since all I could see was the back seats before.

herdbull

Reaction score
hmmmm...... I like the idea of an unobstructed view in place of the current mirror but I'm really hoping to add a cargo camera to either the rear view mirror or the 8.4" when I update that from the 5". It's a real PIA to see the 5er hitch when hitching up. Thanks for your input.

stinson87

Reaction score
hmmmm...... I like the idea of an unobstructed view in place of the current mirror but I'm really hoping to add a cargo camera to either the rear view mirror or the 8.4" when I update that from the 5". It's a real PIA to see the 5er hitch when hitching up. Thanks for your input.
the camera has a "tilt option" that can take a slice of footage from a different angle. I have my camera looking straight back, and can adjust it down to hitch. ill get a quick video for ya.

stinson87

Reaction score

UglyViking

Reaction score
I keep toying with the idea of getting another cap for the truck. I have never been a huge fan of the look but after having one for a bit (that I sold for a few reasons) I do miss the functionality. The one huge downside to caps (that I'm surprised hasn't been solved yet) is rear visibility can be pretty trash due to temp changes inside/outside the cap and how the rear window and window towards the cab get dirty and impossible to see out of. This looks like a viable option, but I wonder how clear it is at night and such. How is the delay on the screen? I worry about something so critical not having quality parts and leaving me without a proper rear view, it looks as if this has a standard mirror though?

stinson87

Reaction score
I keep toying with the idea of getting another cap for the truck. I have never been a huge fan of the look but after having one for a bit (that I sold for a few reasons) I do miss the functionality. The one huge downside to caps (that I'm surprised hasn't been solved yet) is rear visibility can be pretty trash due to temp changes inside/outside the cap and how the rear window and window towards the cab get dirty and impossible to see out of. This looks like a viable option, but I wonder how clear it is at night and such. How is the delay on the screen? I worry about something so critical not having quality parts and leaving me without a proper rear view, it looks as if this has a standard mirror though?
It has no noteable delay, and at night, you can see the footage of my review. It does well. In dark woods you would need backup lights to use it, but it would really help with cap visibility.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I remember when no cameras on a vehicle was a thing. Most everyone did just fine without them.
I love this line of thinking. Rotary phones were all the rage, 3 channels of black and white on the tube, gasoline vehicles spewing lead out into the air. What did you do back in the day when there wasn't a forum to complain about the younger generation? I suppose you had to do it in person at the bar? ;)

Chrisminx

Reaction score
I love this line of thinking. Rotary phones were all the rage, 3 channels of black and white on the tube, gasoline vehicles spewing lead out into the air. What did you do back in the day when there wasn't a forum to complain about the younger generation? I suppose you had to do it in person at the bar? ;)
Back in the day for me was the late 90s and 2000s. Back up cameras weren't popular until 2009-2010 ish. I remember as a kid compact cars having a driver only side mirror. It's just funny to me how some think their vehicle would be too dangerous to drive without all the new gadgets we have today.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Back in the day for me was the late 90s and 2000s. Back up cameras weren't popular until 2009-2010 ish. I remember as a kid compact cars having a driver only side mirror. It's just funny to me how some think their vehicle would be too dangerous to drive without all the new gadgets we have today.
The baseline moves, it's just part of our nature as humans. Also, to be fair, while not every single gadget is going to make a vehicle safer or too dangerous, together they add up quite a bit. For example, back in the 60s we had about 5 deaths per 100 million miles traveled. Today, that number is around 1.

But I get what you're saying, if you want a real trip go look at the towing threads :p

herdbull

Reaction score
This is perfect. I now may have to order one. Is this the original camera you started this post with or the new one coming from China? I may wait and see what you put together with this new camera. Thank you for all the legwork on this.

Users who are viewing this thread