Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks and Highflow Diesel Pumps

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Planning ahead, id like to replace the stock 31gal tank on my yet to be received 2022 3500 megacab srw with HO.

I am still looking at both the SB 52g and the Titan 50gal replacement tanks. What I havent found is any feed back on using the highflow diesel pumps and how well they work.

In the SB install it says the following “Nozzle at high flow fuel station may continue to "click off". Tank is designed to work at regular fuel stations.”

Cant find anything on Titan 50gal.

Those of you with these tanks what has been your experience in fueling up at the highflow pumps? Constant shut offs? Overflows?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Planning ahead, id like to replace the stock 31gal tank on my yet to be received 2022 3500 megacab srw with HO.

I am still looking at both the SB 52g and the Titan 50gal replacement tanks. What I havent found is any feed back on using the highflow diesel pumps and how well they work.

In the SB install it says the following “Nozzle at high flow fuel station may continue to "click off". Tank is designed to work at regular fuel stations.”

Those of you with these tanks what has been your experience in fueling up at the highflow pumps? Constant shut offs? Overflows?
I cant see why it would not work unless they have a wild angle on the fill line

Bcrouse

Reaction score
I cant see why it would not work unless they have a wild angle on the fill line

Unknown. I wonder if its the wedge-ish shape?

Exactly why I am looking for some feedback. I grabbed that quote from the SB install saying it “may continue to click off” which would indicate that it flows in faster than it fills up (if that makes sense)

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Can anyone validate or invalidate this statement in the SB install directions?

“Nozzle at high flow fuel station may continue to "click off". Tank is designed to work at regular fuel stations.”

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I have not tried using a high flow pump yet with my S&B on my megacab but I cant imagine why it wouldn't work. The fill hose is reused from oem and the nozzle on the tank is the same size and shape. the only thing I can think of that may cause an issue is a check valve that is installed in the filler hose at the tank to prevent back splashing out of the tank. it should not effect the flow of fuel going in to the tank at all though just based on the design and size.. I am not sure how necessary the check valve is since there is a lid that closes at the fill input.. you could always leave it off and try if you want..

Bcrouse

Reaction score
I have not tried using a high flow pump yet with my S&B on my megacab but I cant imagine why it wouldn't work. The fill hose is reused from oem and the nozzle on the tank is the same size and shape. the only thing I can think of that may cause an issue is a check valve that is installed in the filler hose at the tank to prevent back splashing out of the tank. it should not effect the flow of fuel going in to the tank at all though just based on the design and size.. I am not sure how necessary the check valve is since there is a lid that closes at the fill input.. you could always leave it off and try if you want..
The only other thing I can think of aside from a check valve would be the vent.

Nick

Reaction score
I have used high flow truck stop pumps many times , you just have to put it on it's lowest flow level . Be careful when inserting of extracting it is a tight fit . In bed tank you can put it on high .

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have used high flow truck stop pumps many times , you just have to put it on it's lowest flow level . Be careful when inserting of extracting it is a tight fit . In bed tank you can put it on high .
Thats with the S&B or the stock tank?

Bcrouse

Reaction score
This is the response directly from SB

Samuel Constancio (S&B Tanks)

Aug 9, 2022, 8:01 AM PDT

Hello B,

Thank you for reaching out, yes for the 10-1021 tank for 2005-2022 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Short bed you can not use a high flow fuel pump. When you use a highflow fuel pump the air in the tank can not vent out fast enough when refueling and the air causes the pump to click off every few seconds.
Samuel C

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
This is the response directly from SB

Samuel Constancio (S&B Tanks)

Aug 9, 2022, 8:01 AM PDT

Hello B,

Thank you for reaching out, yes for the 10-1021 tank for 2005-2022 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Short bed you can not use a high flow fuel pump. When you use a highflow fuel pump the air in the tank can not vent out fast enough when refueling and the air causes the pump to click off every few seconds.
Samuel C
good to know, I opted not to use the air vent line provided with the S&B tank and just reused the stock vent line.. not sure if that makes a difference but i guess i will find out next time im at a high flow pump.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Response from Titan:

Good morning B,

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. We use all the OE factory equipment for the fill neck and such usually they don’t work with highflow truck stop pumps but if your truck does work with them it will work the same when you put my tank on. Please let me know if you might have any other questions or if there is anything I can be of assistance on.

Thanks,

Albon M. Smith
Regional Manager/ Factory Rep.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
good to know, I opted not to use the air vent line provided with the S&B tank and just reused the stock vent line.. not sure if that makes a difference but i guess i will find out next time im at a high flow pump.
Did you get to fill up at a highflow pump yet? If so, howd it go?

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
Did you get to fill up at a highflow pump yet? If so, howd it go?
I havent, sorry I dont drive my truck a lot and not sure when I will use a hiflow next.. having a 52gal tank has been great, I havent needed to fill up while towing so i usually go to whatever regular station is convenient at my destination.

Hayabrusa

Reaction score
I put a Titan 50 gal in my Mega cab Dec of 2021 and have filled up at truck stops at the High flow pumps without a problem. I just use the lowest setting and finished the fill by hand waiting for the diesel foam to calm down.

hoseadl

Reaction score

I replaced my stock tank on a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel with an S&B 52 gallon tank and I cannot fuel effectively in the truck lanes any more. The pump clicks off every few seconds. I have manipulated the nozzle to weird angles and held the trigger at less than the first notch just to fill. Other times, I had to give up after just a gallon or two and move to an auto lane. That’s problematic when pulling a 9,000 pound trailer. I am also having difficulty in the auto lanes. I feel fortunate that I don’t have to hold the nozzle at strange angles and I can use the first notch on the trigger guard. But I can’t use anything higher than that. I have an active email thread going now with S&B support and was told that I could remove the check valve in the filler neck, but I am concerned that I’ll trade one problem in with another. Bottom line, I had a problem with the short range a 31 gallon stock tank gave me. Now, I have a problem with the nozzle clicking off. I’d rather live with the short range.

Wheelz

Reaction score
There is a video on both tanks on youtube that mentions the Titan (when at full capacity) bluges/hangs low in the front of the tank below the frame rails. The SB tank doesnt...If I can find it, I'll link it. Since I already have a 50 gal oem..i have to go to an Aux tank.

ram2500mega

Reaction score
2016 ram 2500 mega cab with OEM 31gal tank used 1st (slowest) notch at truck stop was doable. Now with S&B 52gal tank without check valve cannot fuel at truck stop nozzle clicking off even at 1/2 the first notch.....frustrating!!

Jqueen

Reaction score
I run the Titan 50 gal. No sag noticed when full. I hope it doesn’t get worse over time

Users who are viewing this thread