Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AEV vertical tire carrier problem?

RubiRam392

Jackass 4th grade bully
Reaction score
2022 Ram Power Wagon
37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
AEV Katla wheels
I have had my tire carrier installed since February 3rd, 2022. Great spare tire solution, but I’ve noticed there is a crack in the bulkhead. The carrier is properly adjusted for the 37” Nitto Trail Grappler. It seems that the weight of the wheel and tire along with the mount itmight be too much for the bed to support? I don’t do a ton of off highway miles but the roads I do travel when I’m offroad aren’t well maintained. I’m guessing the vibration and front to back movement from jarring offroad is what caused the bulkhead to crack? Has anyone else experienced this with the same or comparable in bed tire rack? I have not reached out to AEV about this yet.39C33388-266B-4B61-AABB-79AB4E94CB3A.jpeg566A3D20-875C-4F12-A490-F46740B3B540.jpeg

jsalbre

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I'm of the opinion that the bed bulkhead isn't designed to take loads like that. If I were putting that mount in I'd be sandwiching the bulkhead from side to side with angle (probably 1/8-1/4" aluminum) on the backside, through bolted at a couple spots.

RubiRam392

Jackass 4th grade bully
Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I'm of the opinion that the bed bulkhead isn't designed to take loads like that. If I were putting that mount in I'd be sandwiching the bulkhead from side to side with angle (probably 1/8-1/4" aluminum) on the backside, through bolted at a couple spots.
That’s a good idea. I’m going to be calling AEV today and see if they have recommendations as well.

Mighty.Geo

Reaction score
Hey There.
I have the exact same thing on my 2022 Powerwagon.

Did you get anywhere with your truck? the way mine cracked, went around the hole not through it.

RubiRam392

Jackass 4th grade bully
Reaction score
Hey There.
I have the exact same thing on my 2022 Powerwagon.

Did you get anywhere with your truck? the way mine cracked, went around the hole not through it.
Bummer!
Yes,
I emailed them explaining the situation and asked if they had a remedy to prevent it from happening in the future. They had me send them a plethora of photos, measurements, and verified it was installed correctly. No remedy yet. Currently still going through the process and don’t feel as though I can comment further until it is completely resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread