Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice needed

Reaction score
I have a paid off 2104 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 102k that I love. My son just went into the Navy and with the pay cut he is experiencing it looks like I am going to have to start paying his loan on a used 2013 Ford F 150 Crew Cab with the 3.5 twin turbo. I think he has 3 years left on the loan but I need to confirm. This was his first purchase and I co signed the loan when he first bought it. After making enough payments he refinanced it in his name but didn't get Gap Insurance like I told him. I am thinking of selling my Ram to pay to pay off his truck since I am afraid with it having 130k on it and the amount of time before it's paid off I could potentially be on the hook for a worthless truck.

Before he went into the Navy I was thinking about selling my truck and putting additional money down to step up to a Ram 2500. I would still like to do this but and wondering after reading a friend comment about he reliability of the big 3. I am looking for an unbiased as possible source on the reliability of Ram, Ford and Gm trucks. My friend had said that he bought his Ford F 250 because they were the most reliable overall with some issue mechanically but the best reliability with the electronics, he said the GM trucks were in the middle of the pack with both mechanical and electronic issue and Ram was the best mechanically but the worst with electronics. This got me thinking about my own experience and I was a die hard GM guy before I got my Ram. I had a 75 and 86 K5 Blazer, a couple Oldsmobile's, a Venture van, a Trailblazer and a Yukon XL. The Venture cam snapped at 65k just outside of warranty and they wouldn't do anything. My 2007 Yukon XL with the 5.3 l engine had the issue of burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles once it hit about 35k. At 100K I thought I blew the engine but it slugged from the oil burning with the MDS shutting down and not burning off the carbon. I have never owned a Ford but my daughter owned a Focus and that was the least safe vehicle with the transmission issues I have ever seen. They had a known issue and wouldn't cover it under warranty. When I bought my truck in 2016 the rep suggested getting the extended warranty because of all of the electronics in the newer vehicles. I turned it down and the sensor for the windshield washer fluid went within 6 weeks. When I went in for my first free oil change I asked them to fix it and when they told me it was going to cost $300 I said don't fix it for something so stupid. I then had issues with my transmission slamming into a lower gear while at highway speeds and they wouldn't replace it because it didn't throw a code. I had it in and out of the dealership 4x for that and each time they wouldn't do anything about it except flash the computer. On my last time there someone overheard my conversation and told me to call Ram and they made a case and assured me that if the transmission went on me within 100k they would replace it free of charge. I have had the transmission drop in gear only 2 more times in the last 3 years but now I am over that 100k.

So what would you do in my position and is there an unbiased source on the reliability of the big three trucks?

Thanks in advance!

CharlieL

Reaction score
You are under no obligation to pay your son’s loan. He won’t need a truck while at sea. Either he sells his truck or figures out how to budget in the payment. Get what you want for yourself and enjoy it. I’ve owned other brands; there’s a reason on I’m on my fourth Ram.

Nick

Reaction score
I wouldn't say one is better than the other . If u have had good luck with Ram buy another . Last time I looked military folks make decent money . If he is not married he can live on base for free and eat in the mess hall for free . he should be able to make his own truck payment . If not sell it !

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Trade them both in. Values are up. Maybe enough to offset negative equity? He would be free of hassles and you would be too..

Reaction score
Maybe have your son sell his truck and save up his money until he can afford another one.

That’s the preferred thing but I believe his truck is underwater with what he owes. Although with this crazy market he may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grayson

Reaction score
That’s the preferred thing but I believe his truck is underwater with what he owes. Although with this crazy market he may not be.

I know you want to help your son. If he is underwater in this market then how much negative equity do you believe he has? He can sell the truck and take a personal loan to pay off the negative if needed. I would do anything for my daughter when the time comes but being financially responsible comes either from discipline or a hard lesson learned.

He is an adult, he signed up for service (which is great), he needs to remedy this situation but since your name is on the loan I would closely monitor it.

Robtheelder

Reaction score
I owned nothing but Ford trucks since 1977 until I bought my first Ram in 2014. My personal experience has been the Ram is better built, designed better and has been dead reliable. I just traded in my 1500 for a 2500 and the owners experience has been very positive.

I did a lot of comparison shopping and in my opinion the Tradesman I came home with is much better equipped than the XL Ford offers. Also, Ford is in love with their product, and I did not find any Ford dealer that was willing to negotiate on anything.

When I went into the military the first thing my parents did was sell my car. :-{ They did not even bother to tell me until I came home on my first leave four months later. The first thing I did when I came home from my all expenses paid trip to RVN was to buy a brand new 1968 Pontiac GTO, Vadero green with gold interior, 400 HO, Hurst close ratio 4 speed and Posi traction. I thanked my parents for selling my old bater.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I've owned them all over the years. Was mainly a Chevy guy, but also had a F250, Nissan, Toyota, and GMC. I'm now in a RAM. Even had a '73 K5 Blazer. ;)

They all have their pros and cons. Find one that has what you like, get the extended bumper to bumper warranty, and go enjoy it.

As for your Sons delima, first thank him for his service from a retired Navy Chief. Second, it's his responsibility, he needs to figure it out. He needs to either sell it or pay the bill and not go out partying with his friends. Been there done that. You may have to help him a little until he gets out of boot camp, but after that, he needs to figure it out. I did.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
So what would you do in my position
I've been in similar negative situations in the past. Some due to stupidity in my youth, some due to a vengeful ex. Can't say whether it is right or wrong, but whatever you can do to get ahead of things financially now should be able to sort itself out in a few years.
and is there an unbiased source on the reliability of the big three trucks?
No, there is no such thing.

whitexc

Reaction score
I owned nothing but Ford trucks since 1977 until I bought my first Ram in 2014. My personal experience has been the Ram is better built, designed better and has been dead reliable. I just traded in my 1500 for a 2500 and the owners experience has been very positive.

I did a lot of comparison shopping and in my opinion the Tradesman I came home with is much better equipped than the XL Ford offers. Also, Ford is in love with their product, and I did not find any Ford dealer that was willing to negotiate on anything.

When I went into the military the first thing my parents did was sell my car. :-{ They did not even bother to tell me until I came home on my first leave four months later. The first thing I did when I came home from my all expenses paid trip to RVN was to buy a brand new 1968 Pontiac GTO, Vadero green with gold interior, 400 HO, Hurst close ratio 4 speed and Posi traction. I thanked my parents for selling my old bater.
I hope you still have that GTO! If not I bet you wish you did!!!!

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

RAM_Dad

Reaction score

In 2019, I bought a used 2015 F150 for 28k. I just sold it to Carvana for 33k and used the money towards down payment on my new 3500.

Users who are viewing this thread