Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjustable Bumper hitch with least play

chas0218

Reaction score
I have a few non-adjustable bumper hitches (2") but they all seem to have a decent amount of play in the receiver. Are any of the adjustable hitches like bulletproof or B&W any better in terms of play in the hitch. I could throw a bead of weld on the hitch just to take some play out but I feel like that defeats the purpose of buying a $300+ hitch.

I'm looking to buy a 2.5" solid shank adjustable hitch in the next week and wanted something that won't rattle around or chuck back and forth in the receiver.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I bought one one day, bully dog I believe, that I had to grind down some to get it to fit in my 2" hitch on my old truck.

Other than that, all others seem to have a bit of play.

tchur1

Reaction score
I have a gen y mega duty and its rock solid. Pricey but highly recommend. Very little play or slip IMO

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Both of the 2.5" shank Bulletproof adjustable hitches that I have are really solid. I have a 2.5" Trimax adjustable and a handful of other stationary 2" (Curt, Buyers, etc.) and they all rattle like crazy.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
bulletproof has an anti rattle device you can put on their hitches....i prefer my shocker hitch tho....adjustable...air ride....and no rattle whatsoever.....

PD Luke

Reaction score
Both of the 2.5" shank Bulletproof adjustable hitches that I have are really solid. I have a 2.5" Trimax adjustable and a handful of other stationary 2" (Curt, Buyers, etc.) and they all rattle like crazy.
Agree. My Bulletproof 2.5" shank fits very snug. It has the least amount of play of any of the hitches I have owned over the years.

Truckermiller

Reaction score
I have a few non-adjustable bumper hitches (2") but they all seem to have a decent amount of play in the receiver. Are any of the adjustable hitches like bulletproof or B&W any better in terms of play in the hitch. I could throw a bead of weld on the hitch just to take some play out but I feel like that defeats the purpose of buying a $300+ hitch.

I'm looking to buy a 2.5" solid shank adjustable hitch in the next week and wanted something that won't rattle around or chuck back and forth in the receiver.
They make a rubber spacer that can fill in the gap around the receiver they are sold on Amazon

chas0218

Reaction score
I bought the B&W Tow & Stow. It is solid. One of the main reason I bought it besides the reviews, is that I can "stow" it so I can still park my truck in the garage. I only have 4" clearance...
I ordered the tow and stow with 7" drop. Hope it's enough. My one trailer likes a low hitch point.

Riddick

Reaction score
My 2.5" Bulletproof rattles around like crazy if I don't have a trailer on it. On the bigger bumps you can actually feel it banging around. I only put it on when I'm towing now. I will have to look into this anti rattle device they make.

whitexc

Reaction score
My Bulletproof with the WDH adapter does rattle when unloaded as I would expect it to. It weighs a sh!t ton and has various parts pinned together. I am still happy with it as others are with their decision.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jsingl01

Reaction score
New to site! Just purchased Ram 2500 4x4. What is the recommended drop suggestion for new hitch?

areuriding

Reaction score
Depends on the height needed to keep the trailer level when hooked up. I use one that is 8”s adjustable up or down when flipped over.

mountainears

Reaction score
I had a bulletproof 8” drop. Still have it, trying to sell it.

I switched to tow and stow 5” drop. Haven’t had any issues with various trailers and like the stowing option to silence the back up alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
another tow and stow 7" drop. I did get 2 of the b&w insulators and stacked them. been tight for 3.5yrs.

Reactions: CFE

chas0218

Reaction score
I had a bulletproof 8” drop. Still have it, trying to sell it.

I switched to tow and stow 5” drop. Haven’t had any issues with various trailers and like the stowing option to silence the back up alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at the bulletproof but didn't like that I couldn't flip the ball around. I wasn't sure if my rear park sensors would get set off by the hitch balls so I just bought the tow and stow. In one position for my trailer it's fine but the other it sets them off and they were about $100 more than the B&W.

CFE

Reaction score
I looked at the bulletproof but didn't like that I couldn't flip the ball around. I wasn't sure if my rear park sensors would get set off by the hitch balls so I just bought the tow and stow. In one position for my trailer it's fine but the other it sets them off and they were about $100 more than the B&W.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the tow n stow. It's pretty beefy and I haven't heard mine rattling (I drive my truck nearly everyday). Let us know what you think when you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread