Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjust my tpms ?

ian3500

Reaction score
I just received my 2021 3500 HO and it came with (but not asked for) Ram's TMPS.

I have been using an add on TMPS for years. When I picked up the truck, the tires (275/70 18e ) were filled to 63 psi front and 82 psi rear. Makes for a bit of an odd ride.... If the weight ratings are correct , with the present tires, it should be 45 psi in front and 35 psi in rear..

I asked how I could adjust because that is kind if silly when running empty but was told I cannot because of the weight the truck can *potentially* carry and the tmps will go into error mode..

The max weight this truck will see for the foreseeable future will be a 12K 5th wheel. What I normally do (or did with my last truck), was weigh it and adjusted the front and back tire pressures based on what the scales tell me.

On another forum, I was told I cannot turn it off...but can I adjust it.. Or, can I have the sensors taken off ?

Thanks.

ian3500

Reaction score
An update.

Ignoring my salesman's advice, I reduced the tire pressures to 45 psi each..well within an acceptable pressure for an empty truck.

Turned the truck on. Nothing. No warnings etc..

So has the system adjusted itself to the new pressures ?

southern_yank

Reaction score
My 21 Power Wagon would alarm at 50 PSI. I got a ALPHAOBD and set it at 30. No issues.
I'm running 40 front and 35 rear right now with BFG 35x12.50R17 KO2s.
Second vote AlfaOBD. About $200 initial investment in software and hardware. Well worth it as it does so much more than adjust the TPMS.

Or, post your location and I'm sure someone local to you would adjust them for a small charge or even pro Bono.

I just did mine a few weeks ago. So much better now I don't have the stupis nanny light on my dash.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

1964PW

Reaction score
My low pressure warning took several days and a 700 mile trip to show up after dropping to 50 psi. Not sure how helpful the system is if it's that slow to react. I'll second going with AlphaOBD.

dablack21

Reaction score
I know on my 13 2500 srw that it didn't have a warning for low pressure. It didn't even have tpms at all. Never had a light on. My 19 and 20 2500s do though. Used AlfaOBD on the 19 to reduce it to 45, and I'll be doing it on my 20 soon

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
An update.

Ignoring my salesman's advice, I reduced the tire pressures to 45 psi each..well within an acceptable pressure for an empty truck.

Turned the truck on. Nothing. No warnings etc..

So has the system adjusted itself to the new pressures ?
You have a 3500, so you actually have a TPIS (Tire Pressure Information System), not TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). The TPIS will not give you any alerts or warnings, it will only tell you the tire pressure when on the pressure screen. The 2500's have the TPMS that alerts and gives warnings below a certain pressure.

ian3500

Reaction score
You have a 3500, so you actually have a TPIS (Tire Pressure Information System), not TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). The TPIS will not give you any alerts or warnings, it will only tell you the tire pressure when on the pressure screen. The 2500's have the TPMS that alerts and gives warnings below a certain pressure.

Seriously ? Too funny.. than it would be worth having all my tires pulled, metal valve stems put in, rebalanced, and run an external system.
No wonder I wasn't getting the alerts.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Most people want to go the other way and eliminate the warning light. With AlfaOBD I think you can change the system from TPIS to TPMS to get below pressure warnings

BigBill1

Reaction score
Will the AlphaOBD work on a 2019 2500 to adjust the tpms threshold? I keep reading around and keep getting mixed answers .I don't want to spend the money on it if its not going to work.. Unless someone is in the NYC/Wrestchester Area that can do it????
thanks in advance everyone

BigBill1

Reaction score
Did you need the bypass cable? Did you also need to get the PIN from the dealer? Which Alphaobd module? Im sorry for the questions, i just want to get it right. Thank You

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I purchased the KAODTECH bypass cable, OBDLinkLX and the AlphaOBD program loaded onto my laptop.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you need the bypass cable? Did you also need to get the PIN from the dealer? Which Alphaobd module? Im sorry for the questions, i just want to get it right. Thank You

You need a KOAdTECH bypass cable.

You do not need a PIN for 19+. There is no longer an RF Hub reset procedure required.

AlfaOBD Android or Windows (50% discount for the 2nd license).

ELM327 compatible OBDII reader or cable. OBDLink LX or MX+ recommended.

PMHQ

Reaction score
You need a KOAdTECH bypass cable.

You do not need a PIN for 19+. There is no longer an RF Hub reset procedure required.

AlfaOBD Android or Windows (50% discount for the 2nd license).

ELM327 compatible OBDII reader or cable. OBDLink LX or MX+ recommended.
I am completely at a loss with AlphaOBD, Im not a technical guy and I have poor eyesight which is very frustrating...I have a 22 Power Wagon and simply want TPMS and Tire Size adjusted...I do have the Cable, App and MX+ Module....Finding out I do not need the PIN now, so does that mean I will not need to clear codes when all is adjusted---I only need to simply change the TPMS thresholds?? I would drive to meet up with someone that knows exactly how to do this...The videos tell me too much info and most of the time their trucks aren't the same years etc....I simply need a step by step instruction on which buttons to push and how to clear codes if I need to...There are 1000s of posts here and with my eyesight, makes it tough to weed through them... I am in NorCal and Carson City Nevada if anyone reads this that can help me out... I looked at YouTube and I feel worse now than I did before I knew anything.....Thanks in advance.

1964PW

Reaction score
I am completely at a loss with AlphaOBD, Im not a technical guy and I have poor eyesight which is very frustrating...I have a 22 Power Wagon and simply want TPMS and Tire Size adjusted...I do have the Cable, App and MX+ Module....Finding out I do not need the PIN now, so does that mean I will not need to clear codes when all is adjusted---I only need to simply change the TPMS thresholds?? I would drive to meet up with someone that knows exactly how to do this...The videos tell me too much info and most of the time their trucks aren't the same years etc....I simply need a step by step instruction on which buttons to push and how to clear codes if I need to...There are 1000s of posts here and with my eyesight, makes it tough to weed through them... I am in NorCal and Carson City Nevada if anyone reads this that can help me out... I looked at YouTube and I feel worse now than I did before I knew anything.....Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue and found the procedure on a gun forum. Turns out I was trying to change the high and low pressure limits. You don't need to mess with those. Just change the status pressure and don't worry about the PIN. Follow the PDF as best you can and let us know.

Attachments

• How to- TPMS.pdf
    614.2 KB · Views: 258

PMHQ

Reaction score
I had the same issue and found the procedure on a gun forum. Turns out I was trying to change the high and low pressure limits. You don't need to mess with those. Just change the status pressure and don't worry about the PIN. Follow the PDF as best you can and let us know.
Thank you! I will try this out! I can figure this out easiest...I think that I will document every step I make so that I can pass it on someday to someone else...If its the same as this one, I will save it too...Thank you! Now Adjust the TPMS after this and I will be Good to go!

Users who are viewing this thread