Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Remote Tailgate

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
I tried to search. I found the tailgate damping shock and ordered that and put that in today. So weird that my Big Horn didn't come with that. Actually, should be standard now for ALL truck trims.. .but oh well.

Now, I wanted to see if I don't have the remote start or the remote tailgate option.

Is there a way to add that to these trucks? I understand I'd have to get a new key, but couldn't find anything on adding it.. what it involves. Even on YouTube.

slowindown

Reaction score
I tried to search. I found the tailgate damping shock and ordered that and put that in today. So weird that my Big Horn didn't come with that. Actually, should be standard now for ALL truck trims.. .but oh well.

Now, I wanted to see if I don't have the remote start or the remote tailgate option.

Is there a way to add that to these trucks? I understand I'd have to get a new key, but couldn't find anything on adding it.. what it involves. Even on YouTube.

Do you have a link for ordering the tailgate damper?

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Do you have a link for ordering the tailgate damper?
Here is a video I found on installing it.

Start at 6:00 mins

I do recommend you DO NOT remove the clips. What I did was:

Removed tail light housing
went under the truck and installed the bottom of the strut and snapped it on the ball end. (took 1 min)
then guided the tailgate down a bit until the top of the strut fit in the ball end of the hinge. Snapped right in.

Took me less than 3 mins to install.

Chrisminx

Reaction score

Buy an oem fob with remote start and remote tailgate release. The remote tailgate release is already programmed, just need the button on the remote.

Some folks on here have soldered the button to their original key. I think that is also buried somewhere in the link i posted.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Christine
Buy an OEM fob with remote start and remote tailgate release. The remote tailgate release is already programmed, just need the button on the remote.

Some folks on here have soldered the button to their original key. I think that is also buried somewhere in the link I posted.
No way? Is that easy? I only got 1 remote with the truck and the dealer is going to order me the 2nd remote. I wonder if I can call them and be like order me the remote start remote fools!! LOL

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No way? Is that easy? I only got 1 remote with the truck and the dealer is going to order me the 2nd remote. I wonder if I can call them and be like order me the remote start remote fools!! LOL
I added the 2 buttons to my OEM FOB there is a thread here somewhere costs 12 dollars for 200 microswitches i then enabled remote start my truck had the hood switch already

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
OK, so this might be easier than I think.

My 2022 Ram 2500 Big Horn has 2 buttons. So I would need to get either the switches, or new Fobs.. I have a harness at the hood latch..
Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread