Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Exhaust Brake

steve49

Reaction score
A friend has an 06 5.9 CTD and we got into a discussion regarding how nice my 19 exhaust brake was when towing in mountainous areas. What is a good aftermarket exhaust brake that could be added to his 06?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran the Jacobs and the PacBrake PRXB. The PRXBis the better brake, and what I would recommend.

Nick

Reaction score
I ran a Banks on my 06 it worked great ! It was about $1200 at the time . Put in on in 20010

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a Banks on my 04.5 HO and if I had to do it again, I would get the Pacbrake.

I think the 06 might already have an EB ready TCM.

The Banks and Jacobs are very similar, if not the same.

I will add that with the mods I did to my motor the Jacobs had more braking power at high rpm’s, ~2500+, but on a stock truck they will peak the same but the PRXB has much better low rpm performance.

I had a cam and 103# valve springs on the 05. With the fixed orifice of the Jacobs I could get over 75# of retarding pressure but it took some rpms to do so. The PRXB was regulated at 60#. I had planned to adjust the PRXB but sold the truck before I got around to it.

Nick

Reaction score
no Brake until 07 to my knowledge .

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
no Brake until 07 to my knowledge .

Auto’s got ECM controls and a EB ready transmission starting in 2006.

Manuals had ECM controls starting sometime with the VP44 trucks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The Banks and Jacobs are very similar, if not the same.

I will add that with the mods I did to my motor the Jacobs had more braking power at high rpm’s, ~2500+, but on a stock truck they will peak the same but the PRXB has much better low rpm performance.

I had a cam and 103# valve springs on the 05. With the fixed orifice of the Jacobs I could get over 75# of retarding pressure but it took some rpms to do so. The PRXB was regulated at 60#. I had planned to adjust the PRXB but sold the truck before I got around to it.

The Banks is vacuum. The Pacbrake is air pressure. If you say the Jacobs is the same as the Bank, then it would be vacuum.

I had to install a vacuum pump on my 04 and the controller on it (Banks) never got along with the Edge (yea, yea, I know) so in a pinch I was pushed into getting a Banks tuner. The brake worked good, but I just wasn't ever really happy with the setup and the Banks tuner controller had software issues and would freeze/reboot all the time even after reloading it several times. I'm sure I could have worked it all out by throwing money at it, but with all the other mods the truck needed to pull my new setup, I just said F it and upgraded.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The Banks is vacuum. The Pacbrake is air pressure. If you say the Jacobs is the same as the Bank, then it would be vacuum.

I had to install a vacuum pump on my 04 and the controller on it (Banks) never got along with the Edge (yea, yea, I know) so in a pinch I was pushed into getting a Banks tuner. The brake worked good, but I just wasn't ever really happy with the setup and the Banks tuner controller had software issues and would freeze/reboot all the time even after reloading it several times. I'm sure I could have worked it all out by throwing money at it, but with all the other mods the truck needed to pull my new setup, I just said F it and upgraded.

Yes the Jacobs is a vacuum pump. The kits look identical, but Banks claims no relation :rolleyes:

My dads 06 had a vac pump fail and we put a HD pump on it. I put the same HD pump on my 05 as a preventative measure.

I already had OBA so the switch to the PXRB was easy.

Was your 04 an auto?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the Jacobs is a vacuum pump. The kits look identical, but Banks claims no relation :rolleyes:

My dads 06 had a vac pump fail and we put a HD pump on it. I put the same HD pump on my 05 as a preventative measure.

I already had OBA so the switch to the PXRB was easy.

Was your 04 an auto?

Yes. It was a bit of an odd duck for sure. 04.5 factory HO but had the 04 APPS on the engine so Banks charged me extra for that. Gotta love leftover parts usage.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had the banks tuner and eb on my 05 it was wonderful

Users who are viewing this thread