Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Air compressor option

Big Don

Reaction score
looking for lots of help on this problem, I have a 2022 Ram 3500 4x4 Tradesman package with CM Flatbed option 6.7 HO with Aisin- I use my truck for mainly Towing trailers and equipment as well as my 5th wheel RV . So far truck is awesome, This is my first ram - I've had Ford (2000 and 2016) and Chevy(2004). The Ram is impressing me, I am wanting to add an air compressor to my truck and tank, not sure what the best options are. I am in need of having air for fixing tires, equipment and truck tires, also used for blowing out hay balers or other farm equipment in the field, Dont want to buy a gas compressor and mount it on the back - i need my bed space , basically a set up like an 18 wheeler but just on a small truck. not sure if there are electric versions that would suffice or I need to add a compressor to the engine bay and how it would affect the warranty. looking for thoughts here, any help appreciated

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Doubtful you'll find space in the engine bay for an air compressor.

Depending on the size you can put it behind the front bumper there are a few kits for small air compressor or there but nothing large unless it goes into the bed.

BikePilot

Reaction score
The best option for big air power is a pto or engine driven approach. Both can be complicated and expensive. I wanted to be able to air up my 37" tires quickly and mounted an ARB twin compressor under the hood between the battery and firewall. I didn't mount an air tank. It'll fill all four from 20 to 50 psi in short order.

I bet you could also mount a gas powered air compressor under the flat bed somehow. That might actually be the best.

For the tank you might look at using a factory air suspension tank.

Good luck!

Darkone

Reaction score
extreme air makes a solid product. They make a nice 12v and also an engine mounted option. Arb twins are also a good choice. I had a custom mount made to mount an arb twin to the bottom of the bed floor on the passenger side if I ever get time to finish it up.

Big Don

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the reply's and ideas, really good stuff here to dig into and consider what my best option is, have already started researching on these ideas, checking cost and any modifications needed, Thanks again I believe I can work with this.

Big Don

.genomer

Reaction score
I second the ARB Air Compressor. Mine is in the space under the rear seat and I turn it on using one of the OEM Aux switches. There are three hook ups. 2 in the rear seat, which pumps all 4 35" tires at the same time. Then I have a hookup at the hitch. I use that one for blowing off dirt, dust and grime.
20230702_170156.jpg20230702_170253.jpg

Attachments

• 20230702_154844.jpg
    20230702_154844.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 55

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a ViAir 400C mounted under the bed and don’t have a tank. I mainly use it to fix flats and air up all 4 tires after airing down for dirt road travel.

A tank makes the 1st fill faster, but slows the remainder down unless you bypass the tank.

So start at what you will use it for 90% of the time and go from there.

If a large supply of air for blowing things off is important then you can get away with a smaller compressor and larger tanks. If you need both a high volume and a high flow then tanks and compressor need to be of a decent size. If you’re just wanting to fill 1-4 tires you might be able to get away with a small/fast compressor without a tank.

gprguy

Reaction score
I second the ARB Air Compressor. Mine is in the space under the rear seat and I turn it on using one of the OEM Aux switches. There are three hook ups. 2 in the rear seat, which pumps all 4 35" tires at the same time. Then I have a hookup at the hitch. I use that one for blowing off dirt, dust and grime.

On my first Jeep back in the 90’s I mounted an electric compressor under the passenger seat. Worked great until one day on a trail ride a hose blew off a fitting down there. My passenger pretty much shat himself. And that was on an open top Jeep, it’d be unbelievably loud in a well sealed up and insulated truck cab..

unclelala

Reaction score
Has it been a while since you owned it cause I bought a Ryobi set of drills, saws etc. and it was a fail for me. Battery and tools themselves didn't last and low performance. I used it as a HVAC sevice and install guy and I bought Milwaukee after that with much better results. I guess for a weekend warrior/camper its ok but for depending on a reliable tool Ryobi is not my first choice.

RichM752

Reaction score
Has it been a while since you owned it cause I bought a Ryobi set of drills, saws etc. and it was a fail for me. Battery and tools themselves didn't last and low performance. I used it as a HVAC sevice and install guy and I bought Milwaukee after that with much better results. I guess for a weekend warrior/camper its ok but for depending on a reliable tool Ryobi is not my first choice.
It works good for the air bags, with or without being hooked up to my 5th wheel, or bumper pull trailer. Does not work for tires, or pumping bladder on the Reese Gooseball.

.genomer

Reaction score
On my first Jeep back in the 90’s I mounted an electric compressor under the passenger seat. Worked great until one day on a trail ride a hose blew off a fitting down there. My passenger pretty much shat himself. And that was on an open top Jeep, it’d be unbelievably loud in a well sealed up and insulated truck cab..
Very true! Luckily no one's ever inside when it's running and my ARB app let's me pick tire pressure for each wheel and the tow chuck.

gprguy

Reaction score
Oasis Manufacturing makes a nice 12V compressor. I doubt you'll find another 12V compressor that can match it's CFM. Not cheap, but no good quality compressor is. https://aircompressors.oasismfg.com...xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressor/item-1050
I don't know what the odds are of the Brad Kilby showing up in an air compressor thread on the internet.. Probably pretty good now that I think about it.

You actually sold me the electric compressor that surprised my passenger (the hose blowing off was entirely my fault, the compressor was great) and my wife and I still have plenty of your parts on our LJ's today including a York kit, gas tank skids and a few other odds and ends. Glad to see you're still around, welcome to the forum.

(that or you are some other guy with the same name from the same general area)

bkilby

Reaction score
Ha! Thanks grpguy. I just bought a new 2500 HD a couple of weeks ago and was searching to see what others have done for a compressor, and came across this thread. I don't have the time or energy to build a setup for a York so will probably just put an electric in somewhere.
Glad to hear some of our product is still being used today. We did make some good stuff back then. I sold the company in 2010 (I think) so it's been awhile. Thanks for the welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread