Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addind the 115v power outlet

Parkersoma

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 Tradesman and would like to add the 115v power outlet to the instrument panel. Has any one done this yet that can give guidance? I found some part # but not all the mounting brackets yet.

Power Inverter Module - Mopar (68302053AE)​

Inverter Power Outlet - Mopar (68253394AA)​

Power Outlet Cap - Mopar (68467945AA)​

and I think this is the right panel.
Instrument Panel, Right
6QB50LC5AA
This is as much as I could fine out so far.

pionex_80

Reaction score
I would be very interested to see where you come out on this. I am wondering a lot about the wiring for this. I wonder if this is one of those things that wiring has to be made, or ordered, and also are you adding the power outlet to the rear of the truck in the bed as well? I searched the part numbers for the inverter, power outlet, but I am not for sure the panel number or the outlet cap is right. The outlet cap looks like the cigarette style outlet cover that does on the top of the dash. I think there is an outlet that you might want to add in the bed too maybe? P/N 68312754AC I also wonder if we would have to add a fuse for this too? F04/50 AMP red??

patricio2626

Reaction score
You have my attention here. This is one of my 'wish list' items, and I will be following your progress closely if you undertake this endeavor!

carlrx7

Reaction score
I'd like to know if the existing wire could support a 1kw inverter upgrade

DownShiftz

Reaction score
Following. I want this as well. Have had a hard time finding all the parts.

Topsoil

Reaction score
Following. One of the things I wish I would have gotten.

Distillusion

Reaction score
I'd like to know if the existing wire could support a 1kw inverter upgrade
I doubt it. It's set up now for a 150W inverter, which would be around 13 to 15 amps draw on the 12V circuit powering the inverter, needing a 10 gauge main supply wire. A 1KW inverter is going to draw a minimum of 85 amps at full load., needing a #4 gauge cable. And appropriate fusing.

SmokeShowJoe

Reaction score
I have a 2021 bighorn with 110 outlet in the front console and one in the bed, but nothing in the back seat. does anyone know if the wire is in the back of the console so all I would have to do is buy plug and connect it ??

Hitech Redneck

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 3500 Lone Star with center console. I'm interested in adding either the 115 port to the front of the console or the 115 port to the rear (matters not to me which, I just need a place to charge my laptop.) Unfortunately, the inverters that plug into the lighter style outlets won't work, as my laptop charger could draw up to 2.5 amps, which exceeds the wattage listed in the owner's manual for those outlets.
Has anyone investigated whether the wiring to support the inverter listed in the OP is there? I assume it mounts somewhere behind the radio.

I wonder if it might not be easier to run 12v and ground into the cab from the battery with some good size welding cable and install my own inverter. Either from the F781 or 986 circuits or perhaps directly to the happ.

Last edited:

dablack21

Reaction score
I ended up having the dealership install a 1200w power inverter underneath the back seat. It can run all my tools. I installed another 12v power outlet in the stock location for 115v outlet because I hated how the only 12v outlet is on the top of the dash.

jadmt

Reaction score
I ended up having the dealership install a 1200w power inverter underneath the back seat. It can run all my tools. I installed another 12v power outlet in the stock location for 115v outlet because I hated how the only 12v outlet is on the top of the dash.
I agree crazy there is not one lower in the front and one in the back.

Hitech Redneck

Reaction score
How much did that run you?
On one hand, I'd like to have the dealership do it but it kills me to spend money paying someone to do something I can do myself.

On the other hand, I don't really have the time because in my free time (weekends) I haul campers for extra cash. I need to be able to power my laptop in case I get stuck on the road on a Monday when I need to be working my FT job. Or like what happened last week - emergency at the datacenter. Luckily my laptop battery lived long enough. I was working in a Buccee's parking lot at 1am with a 43' triple axle toyhauler hitched to the truck. All of the truckstop parking for miles around was full.

Users who are viewing this thread