Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add digital rear view and cargo cam without surround view?

LsDelancy

Reaction score
I figure I should start a new thread rather than keep clogging up the very informative surround view thread.
I got carried away and wanted to add this, and that, and everything.
I'm sure we all do that when we are excited about our new trucks.
I've come back down to earth...
As cool as the surround view system would be to have, that's a lot of money to spend and a lot of warranty to argue about if I ever have issues.
I would however still very much like to add the digital rear view mirror and the cargo camera.
The man driver here is that when using the Mopar hard cover in the fully open position it covers he whole rear window, but not the third brake light. So, with the digital rear view camera I should still have a functional rear view camera (if I understand the DRV function properly).
My truck has the level 2 group, so it has a auto dimming rear view mirror.
I have a few question (I tried searching, but it gets confusing fast).
1 - With the digital rear view will the mirror function as a normal mirror if there is an issue with the camera?
2 - Can these two things be added without the surround view system?
3 - Will I have to replace my tailgate camera?

I have settled on just trying to add these two things along with the wireless charging pad (but that one is simple).

Thank you for any input!

LsDelancy

Reaction score
I have continued searching... looks like the digital rear view mirror uses he back up camera in the tailgate, is that correct?
Does it use the standard tailgate camera, or the digital one required by the surround view system?
I really want to get these two items (cargo camera and digital rear view mirror) added to the truck if possible!

jsalbre

Reaction score
The Digital Rear View Mirror (DRVM) uses a separate camera mounted in the 3rd brake light (CHMSL), it does not use the signal from any other camera.

You can flip a switch on the bottom of the mirror and it becomes a traditional mirror.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned the DRVM camera is in the CHMSL, which means you would just need one new part as the cargo camera is in the same CHMSL.

@Jimmy07 should be able to tell you if it's feasible.

LsDelancy

Reaction score
The Digital Rear View Mirror (DRVM) uses a separate camera mounted in the 3rd brake light (CHMSL), it does not use the signal from any other camera.

You can flip a switch on the bottom of the mirror and it becomes a traditional mirror.

Thank you!

LsDelancy

Reaction score
I think maybe this is the part number for the brake light assembly with the DRV camera and the cargo camera... 68412027AB?

Maybe Jimmy007 will chime in, he seems to have a vast amount of knowledge on this stuff.
But, I don't want to bug him with PMs...

Users who are viewing this thread