Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adapter to IV receiver

bluedodgeman

Reaction score
new here just bought a 2020 2500 Bighorn crew cab. Has anyone used and adapter for a class IV receiver hitch? The hitch I have for my travel trailer is classIV but the new truck receiver is class V. I wonder if the adapter will rattle and be noisy. Would it be better to get a new class V hitch?

WV_Ram

Reaction score
Same setup on my 2015, no issues to date with any trailer I have hauled to date.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Unloaded the hitch will rattle a bit but loaded it wont. If you old hitch is still good its not worth upgrading to a 2.5” hitch unless you are constantly towing i my opinion.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There is certainly more room for slop with the adapter. I have either upgraded my shanks or had the adapters welded to them, and I’m much happier with the results.

I still have a couple sleeves just in case, but I don’t use them unless it’s an abnormal situation.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
My adapter is pretty tight fit with my hitch, no rattle but I also don't tow very often so wouldn't be upgrading anything.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I use the adapter and shims to take the slack out. Even if you use a 2.5” shank there is going to be slack enough to rattle when there isn’t any weight on it.

Razzman

Reaction score
I changed to a 2.5" shank for my EQ4 and have never noticed any rattle, probably because the EQ head is so heavy. Cost me about $80 if i remember correctly.

Drew M

Reaction score
new here just bought a 2020 2500 Bighorn crew cab. Has anyone used and adapter for a class IV receiver hitch? The hitch I have for my travel trailer is classIV but the new truck receiver is class V. I wonder if the adapter will rattle and be noisy. Would it be better to get a new class V hitch?
I pick up an adaptor from my dealer. There is very little slop in mine, and doesn't rattle, (or at least what I can hear). It cost about $25.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I use the adapter and shims to take the slack out. Even if you use a 2.5” shank there is going to be slack enough to rattle when there isn’t any weight on it.

The light rattle with a 2.5” receiver is nothing like the slop with an adapter, really apples and oranges.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The light rattle with a 2.5” receiver is nothing like the slop with an adapter, really apples and oranges.
Thats really dependent on the machining and quality of the hitch shank i have seen some that rattle much worse than the adapter and a 2” shank

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Mine fits so close that it's a struggle to get the adapter out of the hitch when I want it out. Either way though, even on other trucks that didn't fit as well, I've never noticed rattling loaded or empty.

Users who are viewing this thread