Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actual fix for the frequent regen problem?

jasmith348

Reaction score
Afternoon all, I've posted in and read most of the threads (I think) about the frequent regeneration issue some of us are having. I'm not actually sure though that I've seen anyone actually have the problem fixed, or perhaps I just missed it.
Thought I'd start a fresh thread to see if I did miss it or if every is SOL like I've been. My dealer says a software update is coming and that will fix it, I personally just think they are too lazy to do any real work and try to pinoint the problem (truck has been in the shop like 7 times in 8 months for this issue and recalls).
Thanks!

flan

Reaction score
Software will probably be the fix. That’s been my guess all along. So far there’s been lots of hypothesis but no ONE fix that has solved everyone’s issue.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Software will probably be the fix. That’s been my guess all along. So far there’s been lots of hypothesis but no ONE fix that has solved everyone’s issue.

I agree, it acts like a software issue.

There are some instances of a DPF sensor or a MAF airflow sensor being the cause, but the vast majority of the issues are something else.

tchur1

Reaction score
Its likely software but there seem to be a bunch of random bandaids that vary widely from one truck to another. There doesn't seem to be any definitive remedy at this point.

flan

Reaction score
I agree, it acts like a software issue.

There are some instances of a DPF sensor or a MAF airflow sensor being the cause, but the vast majority of the issues are something else.
L5P had a recall issued regarding regen temperature, but apparently theirs was too high a temp. How’s the 22s regen temp compared to other years? BTW post recall everyone’s pissed their mileage is in the crapper.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
L5P had a recall issued regarding regen temperature, but apparently theirs was too high a temp. How’s the 22s regen temp compared to other years? BTW post recall everyone’s pissed their mileage is in the crapper.

My 22’s regen temps are about the same as my 18’s, thou it seems like it holds the high temps a little shorter. But without a side by side it’s a hard comparison.

Interesting on mileage, that’s the first I’ve heard anything one way or the other on the 13-18 recall.

flan

Reaction score
My 22’s regen temps are about the same as my 18’s, thou it seems like it holds the high temps a little shorter. But without a side by side it’s a hard comparison.

Interesting on mileage, that’s the first I’ve heard anything one way or the other on the 13-18 recall.
With regards to poor fuel mileage I was referring to the L5P recall. I however have seen a few posts from owners who have received the 67A and so far so good.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
With regards to poor fuel mileage I was referring to the L5P recall. I however have seen a few posts from owners who have received the 67A and so far so good.

Gotcha.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s going to be difficult to pin down one specific malfunction that’s causing the regeneration frequency issues for so many. There are too many different variables at play. Quite a few have been physical DOC / DPF failure due to poor manufacturing or quality control. Bore scope inspections have noted the packing material pulling apart, or screens in the DOC falling apart and causing blockages. Others have been attributed to dirty or malfunctioning sensors.
There are so many attributes that have to be functioning correctly. You also have to factor in how the truck is being driven. The operators own driving characteristics as well as the duty cycles the truck sees all play a part. Each individual case needs a thorough investigation and inspection in order to accurately determine what is going on. The primary problem is that the investigation is lengthy and complicated, and more often than not, most dealerships are either incapable or unwilling to invest the time to dig deeper, especially when there is no P2459 to identify a problem. Technicians are, incorrectly, assuming that if there’s no DTC, there is no problem. And nothing could be further from the truth.

It is imperative to check and monitor engine oil condition and level in the engine when a truck is experiencing frequent regeneration. As the truck regenerates more and more, the oil level will very likely rise. This represents its own set of problems both in that the oil will begin to degrade rapidly and not provide adequate lubrication, but also because the increase in oil level will eventually cause excess oil / fuel vapor to be drawn into the ccv filter. Ultimately being sucked into the charge air system which can further complicate the regen frequency issue.

Users who are viewing this thread