Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active noice cancelling and changing speakers

MikeXM

Reaction score
Mike, good argument, however, the ANC in our trucks is not intelligent. I installed a new lift and MTR (ish) tires last week. If the ANC was active and listening as you claim, there would have been a considerable reduction of in-cab noise, and there isn't, there is a considerable increase of noise in the cab, something that an intelligent, monitored ANC system would be able to easily overcome. Same thing goes when the windows are open... no ANC gains are noticed. Of course, I'm only speaking hypotheticals based on what I work with daily.
I think they are focusing in isolating the frequency range of the motor to cancel this prime source of noise. So something in the range of 0 to 150 hz. Any road noise, wind, etc might be out of targeted range of the ANC. I don't think this ANC was meant to cover a large range of frequencies. And therefore it will not cancel any random noise.

Rob1013692

Reaction score
LLJ Customs make a bypass cable. The amp/anc is under dash, left of steering wheel. Just did mine today. I can hear all frequencies of the HK system and can hear my exhaust. If you want quiet, leave it stock. If you want better audio and what not, bypass it. I couldn’t be happier. Took 5 minutes. Pull fuse, pull cable, plug in adapter, plug into amp, add fuse back. I bought a truck, not a Cadillac..

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I changed my dash speakers out and it really helped round out the sound. I assume the ANC amp does not output to those speakers. It sounds good but I am thinking about upgrading the front and rear door speakers. I guess I will have to address the ANC if I do. I have the Alpine system so I believe my ANC may be under the seat? I haven't really looked that far into it yet.

Rob1013692

Reaction score
The HK sounds much better with the bypass. I was talking to the wife about needing a louder exhaust, but now I can hear it - it’s good. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UglyViking

Reaction score
The HK sounds much better with the bypass. I was talking to the wife about needing a louder exhaust, but now I can hear it - it’s good. Lol

From everything I read the ANC bypass won't work with the HK system. What cable did you buy?

UglyViking

Reaction score
It works well? It says right on their website (emphasis mine):
Ram Trucks:
All Trims with ANC or factory amp with no sub. 2019-2022

Rob1013692

Reaction score
What upgraded system does the Ram have that doesn’t have a sub? Alpine and HK both are amplified upgrades with sub. It works…

Before installed, I check the wire colors for the MIC input into the ANC, and they all matched to the cables “missing” in the bypass harness. They key is to disable to microphones. Going into the ANC - which it does.

I didn’t want to cut or de-pin. It’s plug and play…

UglyViking

Reaction score
I mean fair enough but I don't know what options these trucks have from the factory, and technically you still use an amp without a sub, hence my question. Appreciate the response, I'll def pick one up as I'm interested to see if it noticeably changes the sound or loudness any.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Regarding the website saying it works with factory amp and no sub

I clicked the link and read the page. There are a few typos, so this is a guess. I think he is talking about people who are adding a sub. It says “sub installations” and there is a reviewer who said it fixed his after his “new subs”

just a guess

Last edited:

Rob1013692

Reaction score
I originally read it like the system didn’t have a sub also, but then said to self - what system doesn’t have a sub except base radio. Also for a relatively low cost, if it didn’t work, wasn’t like I spend $100 on the thing. Lastly, the adapter is on the inbound side to amp/anc. Not the output.

So you’re not bypassing the radio signal to the amp/anc, you’re just bypassing/disabling the MICs. Sub works fine and so does the center speaker.

Trust me - I was there…lol.

whitexc

Reaction score
So....maybe I browsed past it but anyone with the Alpine system notice a difference with this? I like the sound but if it changes things for the better I am in.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Rob1013692

Reaction score
Well, all I can say about my experience with the HK, it seems like I got all the frequencies back. Obviously some were being used to cancel noise, but seems much cleaner.

I would assume would work the same with the Alpine.

Downside is, yes you hear more road noise, tire noise, and exhaust. To some, they don’t want none of that. Me, it’s a truck. I put an aftermarket exhaust for a reason. Yes I hear my tires, but their 12 1/2” wide AT. I don’t expect a silent truck.

Raram2500

Reaction score
Did the sound level increase with speed, or click, or make any other noises at all? Sounds like a loose ground on an amp, or alternator. The amp ground wires may not be grounded to bare metal and not achieving a proper contact.

Users who are viewing this thread