Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Abs, traction control, trailer brake service messages

Faithfuller

Reaction score
I just changed my fuel filters. yes I did let the % get so low, the truck wouldn‘t crank. Everything went smoothly but now its showing that I need to service the abs, traction control and the trailer brake systems. And it still will not crank. Please tell me what is wrong. I have scoured the internet for answers. If I could just get it to crank so I don’t hafta call a giant tow truck. I am able to service them myself if I just had a little guidance.

flan

Reaction score
What year is your truck? Low percentage on the fuel filter display typically won’t not let your truck not start. Unless you completely neglected them for 10s of thousands of miles and they are plugged.

Also just to confirm what do you mean by not crank, does it spin over and not start, or does it just click and the starter does not spin the motor at all?

Faithfuller

Reaction score
It’s a 2019 3500 bighorn. The fuel filter percent got down to 1%. I tried to attach a video of what the dash is doing but it only allows pictures. when I try to start the truck it cycles thro the preheat and acts like it will start but just does one click then it will ding through the service alerts. is there a way to send you the video?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There isn't a crank blocking feature that I am aware of.

Make sure nothing got unplugged near the filters, but since it wouldn't crank before changing the filters I'm going to guess it's a just a coincidence on the issues.

Faithfuller

Reaction score
All the connections all around it are snug. Both the front and the rear filters.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you scanned it for codes?

Faithfuller

Reaction score
I don’t have a scanner. I’m about to put a battery charger on it to see if its the battery

Wileykid

Reaction score
I had a similar situation. I had disconnected the large plug by the firewall to get to the filter. Forgot to reconnect, and the truck did what yours is doing. Reconnected, and everything was fine. I would double check the plugs, maybe disconnect and reconnect to make sure they are seated properly.

If your truck was running just prior to the filter change, doubt it will be the batteries.

flan

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if it were your batteries, 2019 seem to be posted about often needing new ones already.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I always go down to 1% on my fuel filter to the point where it should have been a 0 but never showed a 0 it will not cause a no start issue

Faithfuller

Reaction score
I didn’t have to unplug any connectors to get to the filer. But I checked all the connections around it and around where I climbed on top to reach the filter. I’d I’d check these 2 connections by undoing them and reconnecting. And I’ve rechecked all the other wire connections I can find. Still waiting for the battery charger

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 17

flan

Reaction score
How many miles on your truck?

flan

Reaction score
Yea, if those batteries are original Im going to guess they are your issue. Be sure to replace them as a pair if it comes down to that.

Faithfuller

Reaction score
Yea, if those batteries are original Im going to guess they are your issue. Be sure to replace them as a pair if it comes down to that.
Definitely will do that. I usually have the dealer do the maintenance cause I got it fairly new. But I’ve always worked on my own in the past. But this one is just a huge computer!!

flan

Reaction score
Definitely will do that. I usually have the dealer do the maintenance cause I got it fairly new. But I’ve always worked on my own in the past. But this one is just a huge computer!!
Yep, and low voltage causes funny problems with them, hence the warning messages you are getting. Good luck, Keep us updated with your progress.

Faithfuller

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you for all y’all’s knowledge. I’ve charged the battery for a day and a half and it’s not reading over 11.7 and as soon as I turn the truck to run it drops to 10.2. Gonna change the batteries and go from there. Thanks again.

flan

Reaction score
I’m not sure of your climate, but the grid heater “diesel preheat” does pull down the batteries a lot, if you hold the brake pedal down and hit the start button 2x it will bypass the preheat process and activate the starter.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m not sure of your climate, but the grid heater “diesel preheat” does pull down the batteries a lot, if you hold the brake pedal down and hit the start button 2x it will bypass the preheat process and activate the starter.
still if the batts are only reading 11.7 after being in charge that means the battery/batteries are finished

Reaction score
this may be coincidence but last week i had the same "Service the ABS," traction control and the trailer brake system warning lights come on.
My truck is 2019 Cummins with 46k and I'm wondering if the ABS module is actually going bad or if it's a case of lower battery voltage causing this? anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread