Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABS & Traction control lights on

USNVeteran1997

Reaction score
Hello to everyone! New to this forum and looking for advice. I own a 2018 Ram 2500 with approximately 64K. I’ve been having an issue with the ABS & traction control light coming on intermittently and loosing cruise control. I’ve read on other sites that it’s a pretty common issue. There’s even been a class action lawsuit filed not long ago. I’m currently in Houston TX and looking for a shop that is familiar with this issue instead of bringing it to a dealer that’s not going to do a true diagnostic troubleshoot.
Is anyone familiar with this issue?
All help is appreciated.

Rudy35

Reaction score
Hello to everyone! New to this forum and looking for advice. I own a 2018 Ram 2500 with approximately 64K. I’ve been having an issue with the ABS & traction control light coming on intermittently and loosing cruise control. I’ve read on other sites that it’s a pretty common issue. There’s even been a class action lawsuit filed not long ago. I’m currently in Houston TX and looking for a shop that is familiar with this issue instead of bringing it to a dealer that’s not going to do a true diagnostic troubleshoot.
Is anyone familiar with this issue?
All help is appreciated.
Same thing with my 2018. Code C002001, ABS pump motor control general electrical failure. Dealer ordered the parts, there in and I need to make an appointment to have it fixed at $600. I filed a complaint with NHTSA, it should be a recall.

USNVeteran1997

Reaction score
Same thing with my 2018. Code C002001, ABS pump motor control general electrical failure. Dealer ordered the parts, there in and I need to make an appointment to have it fixed at $600. I filed a complaint with NHTSA, it should be a recall.
I filed as well . It definitely should be a recall.
Keep me posted once fixed. I’d like to know for sure.

RaeDawg

Reaction score
Latest I have learned is that there are currently two class action lawsuits over this matter. The first was filed in Texas last year, and earlier this year a similar suit with the same group of attorneys representing the plaintiffs was filed in California. Both are class actions only apply to the states where they are filed. The Texas case is currently headed to mediation on October 24,2023, while there is a hearing on the California case scheduled for September 11, 2023 concerning a motion to dismiss. The California case could go to mediation or other settlement discussions after the ruling on the motion. The ruling on such a motion is often what defines the case and might help move settlement discussions forward. Or if the Texas case mediation leads to some agreement the California case might settle on similar terms. The second interesting thing I learned was that Ram has reduced the price of the HCU. On another forum a poster claims a mechanic at the dealership they were dealing with told him this often happens right before some type of recall occurs because Ram wants to reduce the amount they have to pay out for already performed repairs that they become responsible for. If you have not filed a complaint please do it because it appears they are having an impact: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
If the truck is throwing the C0020-01 code then follow the procedure in the TSB: S2005000004 RAM Technical Service Bulletin Not all dealers have been following the procedure in the TSB. Also here is the letter NHTSA sent to Ram requesting all the information Ram has about the problem as part of the investigation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2022/INIM-PE22012-89993P.pdf
The final problem is the parts are hard to get. Sometimes Ramcares is able to help with parts.

USNVeteran1997

Reaction score
Latest I have learned is that there are currently two class action lawsuits over this matter. The first was filed in Texas last year, and earlier this year a similar suit with the same group of attorneys representing the plaintiffs was filed in California. Both are class actions only apply to the states where they are filed. The Texas case is currently headed to mediation on October 24,2023, while there is a hearing on the California case scheduled for September 11, 2023 concerning a motion to dismiss. The California case could go to mediation or other settlement discussions after the ruling on the motion. The ruling on such a motion is often what defines the case and might help move settlement discussions forward. Or if the Texas case mediation leads to some agreement the California case might settle on similar terms. The second interesting thing I learned was that Ram has reduced the price of the HCU. On another forum a poster claims a mechanic at the dealership they were dealing with told him this often happens right before some type of recall occurs because Ram wants to reduce the amount they have to pay out for already performed repairs that they become responsible for. If you have not filed a complaint please do it because it appears they are having an impact: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
If the truck is throwing the C0020-01 code then follow the procedure in the TSB: S2005000004 RAM Technical Service Bulletin Not all dealers have been following the procedure in the TSB. Also here is the letter NHTSA sent to Ram requesting all the information Ram has about the problem as part of the investigation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2022/INIM-PE22012-89993P.pdf
The final problem is the parts are hard to get. Sometimes Ramcares is able to help with parts.
Yes sir, I’ve heard of both lawsuits and filed a complaint myself with them. Does anyone know if Ram is installing the same crappy HCU or has one been revamped since the issue occurred?

RaeDawg

Reaction score
There are new versions of both the HCU and the ABS Module. HCU model number originally 68143491AA. New model ends in AB instead of AA. ABS module originally 68347098AA now ending in AB. There is some information suggesting Ram may be working on further modification of the parts, but nothing definitive. Still not clear if the AB versions of the parts solve the problem or we need something better.

Rudy35

Reaction score
There are new versions of both the HCU and the ABS Module. HCU model number originally 68143491AA. New model ends in AB instead of AA. ABS module originally 68347098AA now ending in AB. There is some information suggesting Ram may be working on further modification of the parts, but nothing definitive. Still not clear if the AB versions of the parts solve the problem or we need something better.
Just had mine replaced last Friday to the tune of $640. The part number ended with "AB". Hope it solves the issue.

awoods9520

Reaction score
Every dealer I’ve checked for parts at says it’s on hold and no eta. They haven’t mentioned anything about being able to create a star case or anything to try and get the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARMADMAN598

Reaction score
Another cause of the problem for me was the e brakes rusting apart and damaged the tone ring on the wheel hub, had to replace the wheel hub after making sure the senor was good and problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread