Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AAM 12" Axle Gear Swap

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Hopefully someone has the answer to this. I've been looking at what it would take to re-gear my HO from 3.73 just for the fun of it. I know you can re-gear using OEM 4.10's from a dually BUT I noticed and have found that AAM makes 4.44's for the 3500 cab/chassis. The only difference is, those gears are for the AAM 12" banjo axle. I'm guessing banjo is referring to the type of brakes the axle will have.

My question is, is the 12" cab/chassis axle the same ring and pinion as the regular 3500 12" axle? The part numbers are the same format and length, just change depending on the ratio. 2500 gear sets have a different format part number for the gears.

What's also interesting, is AAM says the 4.10's are only for the cab/chassis as well but obviously not since they are in the 3500 dually.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
A Banjo axle has a different center carrier setup than the "beam" axle.

I'd be VERY surprised if the internal case dimensions are the same. In all honesty, I don't even know if the internals mount up the same.

Basically, banjo is a one piece axle housing. Beam has tubes pressed into the carrier.

clip_image0013.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone has the answer to this. I've been looking at what it would take to re-gear my HO from 3.73 just for the fun of it. I know you can re-gear using OEM 4.10's from a dually BUT I noticed and have found that AAM makes 4.44's for the 3500 cab/chassis. The only difference is, those gears are for the AAM 12" banjo axle. I'm guessing banjo is referring to the type of brakes the axle will have.

My question is, is the 12" cab/chassis axle the same ring and pinion as the regular 3500 12" axle? The part numbers are the same format and length, just change depending on the ratio. 2500 gear sets have a different format part number for the gears.

What's also interesting, is AAM says the 4.10's are only for the cab/chassis as well but obviously not since they are in the 3500 dually.

All 2500 and 3500 SO or gas is 11.5"

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Ok another question the 3500 cab and chassis - does it use the banjo style axle or is that only the 4500/5500?

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Just got a call back from my local distributor of AAM. He said he has ordered me the 4.44's for my truck! I am stoked as I thought for the longest time that there was nothing available for our trucks but apparently the SO has the AAM option. Thanks to @GPurcell01 I got the link below and soon will get my truck off the lugging train!

1638213807081.png

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Just got a call back from my local distributor of AAM. He said he has ordered me the 4.44's for my truck! I am stoked as I thought for the longest time that there was nothing available for our trucks but apparently the SO has the AAM option. Thanks to @GPurcell01 I got the link below and soon will get my truck off the lugging train!

View attachment 26794

That's fantastic! Will be curious for a first impression with those gears.

PHill863

Reaction score
did the 4.44s work? Ive been waiting on gears to be released myself.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Still working the rabbit hole that is finding info on the 4.44's. Last I talked with @AEV_CUMMINS he was getting close to having the gears installed on his.
Long story short, the gear center I was dealing with damaged the gears (dropped a part on the ground) and is now waiting for a whole new front set to arrive. You can imagine how impressed I was with the tech that came with his tail between his legs.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Long story short, the gear center I was dealing with damaged the gears (dropped a part on the ground) and is now waiting for a whole new front set to arrive. You can imagine how impressed I was with the tech that came with his tail between his legs.

Crappy situation but good on them for owning it...

Reaction score
The spread sheet only mentioned the 3.73 for the 12" rear axle on the HO, but the dually with max tow package is available with 4.10 gears. So would the 4.10 rear grears from the dually also work on the 3500 SRW 12" axle? re the axle shafts and stuff the same? Can anyone confirm this?

tchur1

Reaction score
The spread sheet only mentioned the 3.73 for the 12" rear axle on the HO, but the dually with max tow package is available with 4.10 gears. So would the 4.10 rear grears from the dually also work on the 3500 SRW 12" axle? re the axle shafts and stuff the same? Can anyone confirm this?
See the first post on this thread:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
In all honesty I wouldn't bother regearing from 3.73 to 4.10 not big enough difference to justify the expense and headache

Users who are viewing this thread