Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T Tire that's good for wet traction

Kldugas

Reaction score
How much towing do you do?
I tow a 32' fifth wheel 9-10k lbs loaded about 4-5 times a yr 2-300mi one way. A 20' pontoon during the summer 2hrs one way to the camp. Occasionally my 25hp Kabota tractor with implements on a gooseneck 24' duel tandem axel. All and all I find them very good fit for what I do. Occasional off-road in a field or dirt road that may or may not be muddy after a rain. Works great at the boat launch also speaking of wet traction.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I used to run KO2’s but I just switched over to the wildpeek AT3W. I haven’t driven them in snow yet but I drove through Connecticut and NY last Friday during the flooding rain they got and those tires performed fantastic. I mean the roads were just flooded and I had zero traction issues at speeds….

Firebird

Reaction score
My Toyo AT III's have done well, normal wet driving is fine, and hwy speeds are fine, but from a dead stop, the 6.7 can still go sideways right quick!

Bigboom338

Reaction score
I have had many sets of BFG KO2s, they get my vote. I have Dura Tracs on my Chevy 3500 and I like them .

jeffn

Reaction score
I live in southwest Florida. Wet traction is a primary concern when shopping for tires.

General Grabber. Great tire in wet and in the loamy mud on my farm. Put 32k miles on them and could have stretched out another few k but it was the start of rainy season and I didn’t want to risk it.

Nitto Terra Grapplers. 10k so far and the fronts are cupping (going in for alignment on Thursday.) Wet traction is confident, mud is good but not great.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Another Cooper XLT3 owner chiming in. Been very pleased with mine in everything I've put them thru(xcept sticky mud) in last 20kmi. Winter and wet performance has been better than most ATs I've owned; BFGs, LTXs, Duelers, Ridge Grapplers. I Would buy again!

Enve46

Reaction score
Its funny people experiencing things differently with the same tire. Personally HATE KO2s and KM anything, worst tires Ive ever hard on numerous Jeeps, yuck. I had Nitto Recons on two different 2500s in South Florida which wet traction is probably the only concern and loved them. I did run lower pressures since I didn't tow much, but they were excellent. Im shopping for tires for my 2013 2500 now and am leaning towards Falken RT01s, but looking closely at Toyos and Coopers.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I ran KO2 35s for years, execlent wet/snow traction but I always had balancing issues, the more wear the tires had the smoother they got.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I ran KO2 35s for years, execlent wet/snow traction but I always had balancing issues, the more wear the tires had the smoother they got.
I've read numerous threads where guys complained about keeping them balanced. Maybe because of how many rocks they pick up and carry. I used to walk by a coworkers truck in a gravel parking lot at work everyday. I bet each tire had at least 100 rocks of roughly 1/2" size stuck in them. When the tires wear down, they won't be picking up as many rocks.

I've always ran H/Ts on the front of an old 2WD farm truck. A couple years ago my son was using it a lot and he put A/Ts on it. I can definitely tell the difference when I pull out on the highway and the rocks start flying. KO2s would only be worse. I'd never have them just for this reason.

But to each their own. I won't judge guys for running them as long as they don't break MY windshield.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I am not sure. But I everytime I put new ones on my trucks I would get the lifetime balance, I would have to take them back at least one or twice when first putting them on…I loved the way they performed but got tired of dealing with them plus I went to 37’s on my 2023 and thought it would only be worse. As mentioned I went with the wildpeek at3/w and the run smooth as glass. Kicked but on wet roads, will see how they do this winter in snow but reviews seem to say all good things about that aspect.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
I've run KO2s in the past and they were not great in the rain which I need living in the PacNW. Currently on my 2nd pair of Nitto Terra Grappler G2s which are solid in the snow and mud and are quiet on the highway, but they still lose traction occasionally on steep wet inclines and the occasional boat ramp.

Related question, can anyone validate what all terain OWL tires come from the factory for new 2024 1-Ton's with the Snow Chief option? The Ram build and price exterior graphic shows Falken Wildpeaks instead of the Firestone Trashforce tires which might be an inaccurate thing to go on.

Dave01

Reaction score
Very happy with my Wildpeak AT3W's so far, a bit over 25k on them. They are wearing evenly, I do notice that at each tire rotation for the first few hundred miles they whine a bit, then it seems to go away. I'll be curious to see how snow traction is in winter #2 with them at over 30k miles on the tread.

Wet traction - I think I said this in another tire thread, I simply have never had trouble with rain/wet traction in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, with the exception of running tires well beyond their useful tread life. The weight and stance just don't tend to be a problem in wet conditions for me.

pinco

Reaction score
Is there even such a tire that exists? I've had Duratracs, Wildpeaks, and now Recon Grapplers from Nitto. These Recon Grapplers are the worst tires I've ever had. When it rains it feels like I'm riding with WD-40 on my treads. My Wildpeaks were pretty good, but the treads started cracking at around 30k miles. And Duratracs were bad and slippy around 15-20k on my last truck. I'm looking for an occasional off-road tire and good wet traction. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I’m over 30k on wild peaks and don’t see any cracking? I just did a rotation yesterday. I don’t have any complaints about wild peaks wet or dry. Where are they cracking? Is over or under inflation a possibility?

Finn5033

Reaction score
I will second the Cooper AT3 XLT. I have them right now. It’s been raining where I live for 4 days straight and I haven’t had any slippage issues. They are 3 peak rated and a great looking tire
I thought I’d come back with a little update on the at3 xlts. Still no complaint on wet or dry traction on the road. These tires are quiet, smooth, and I noticed no mpg loss. I am running the stock 275/70/18 size. I will say that I was not impressed with the traction on wet grass. Last weekend I cut a tree down and had to use my truck to roll over the main trunk and was shocked when I had to put it in 4x4 to do so because the tires would just spin. And secondly they are not going to last very long. They have 16/32” tread depth when new. I am closing in on 6k miles on them so I checked the tread depth since I am planning to rotate and I am already down to 12/32” front and back. Only about 1000 miles of that is towing the rest is daily commute. If they do indeed continue to wear this fast I will try something else next.

lowfidelity

Reaction score
So I was an early adopted of the Rugged Treks. I'm been happy with them but like usual, they haven't endured. I'm almost due to replace them and I've got about 25k miles on them.

Dave01

Reaction score
25k is brutal with what we're paying for tires these days. If I get through inspection ok next September I'll get 50 plus out of my Falken's, replace them in November before snow flies.

lowfidelity

Reaction score
25k is brutal with what we're paying for tires these days. If I get through inspection ok next September I'll get 50 plus out of my Falken's, replace them in November before snow flies.
Fortunately discount tire usually honors the warranty (50k? 60k?) so I'll likely get a prorated credit.

Users who are viewing this thread