Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-Pillar / Ditch-lights ?

Vroooom

Reaction score
Howdy, all.
Im in the process of planning some lighting mods to the 2021 Laramie that I "should" receive in just a few short weeks....mmm hmmm.

Im giving serious thought to mounting a set of pod-lights at the A-Pillar. Some folks call these ditch-lights, I call them deer-detectors (hopefully).

Its no problem to find lights...POD light options are as plentiful as Light bars with just as wide a variety as form, function, and price.

What I am having greater difficulty with is finding BRACKETS to mount the lights.

Zroadz makes a fantastic bracket...for the 1500...but they say it wont work on the 2500. DRAT!

Have any of yall had any luck with finding mounting brackets for A-Pillar lights? Any thoughts, suggestions, constructive input is always welcome.

Although my truck will have the I/P Aux switches, my plan for the Deer-detector lights is to try to find the wire that feed the high-beam headlights so that when the high-beams turn on, that triggers the relay to turn on the POD lights. That should make it part of the automatic process so that I am less likely to blind others while Im dodging deer in the boonies. Of cource, in order to tap-into that high-bean circuit, I must first find it...and that'll be a whole different thread when the time comes.

Thanks all; Happy Trails!

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I have them on both of my trucks. On my 12 I have the Light Canons and on the 19 I have the smaller Rigids with the side shooters. I’m in Canada so couldn’t get or afford the brackets so I made my own. I just took a scrap piece of aluminim angle iron and shaped it down and then bolted it down to the fender mount bolt under the rubber moulding on the A-piller at the lower corner of windshield. Cost was zero But pain in the @$$ was hi. The 19 was the third set I have built so it was a lot easier. I have them supper flush so there is some reflection off the hood unfortunately but still better than smacking an animal!

Vroooom

Reaction score
Based on this post, it appears at least the SDHQ brackets work.

Awesome find!!! And since that fella seems to have my exact truck, It gave me a good representation to see if its what I want. THANK YOU.

Hstone556

Reaction score
CJC Offroad sells a kit as well.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
I ordered a set off eBay that would fit a 2500,3500 up to a 18 for about 45$. Got them and way to big for a 2020 3500 DRW. Found a set on SDHQ for 149$ and they went in the mail today. Will advise on fit when they get in.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
CJC Offroad sells a kit as well.

I have this kit and love it! Super easy to install and no messing with hood bolts! :)

Attachments

• 48ED2CE4-53F5-4F88-9CBD-46FF3EB5032A.jpeg
    48ED2CE4-53F5-4F88-9CBD-46FF3EB5032A.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 121

zblink1888

Reaction score
Buy the sdhq mount for the 19+ trucks the baja designs mount is garbage

Looks like nomad was having the same issue as i was where it pushes the fender out of alignment also depending on the windsheild palcment will also contact the glass down on the cowl

el_barto

Reaction score
how visible are the Lights from the drivers seat? Do they block any line of sight or are they mostly below the hood line/a pillar? Also do they get in the way of clearing snow off the windshield?

I’m probably going to go with a low profile light like the Diode Dynamics SSC2

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy the sdhq mount for the 19+ trucks the baja designs mount is garbage

Looks like nomad was having the same issue as i was where it pushes the fender out of alignment also depending on the windsheild palcment will also contact the glass down on the cowl

Would an antenna mounted on the SDHQ mounts contact the windshield or a-pillar?

zblink1888

Reaction score
Could always go hood mount for the antenna

also see issues with baja brackets, had to rebend and grind drivers side to notcontact windshield and have them pull the fenders out of alignment
20200205_165815.jpg

Attachments

• 20200418_180916.jpg
    20200418_180916.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200629_104934.jpg
    20200629_104934.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 92

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Could always go hood mount for the antenna

also see issues with baja brackets, had to rebend and grind drivers side to notcontact windshield and have them pull the fenders out of alignment
Yea, I'm trying to decide which way to go. I like that stubby for the "GMRS" SHTF radio, but also need to put up a CB whip (thinking lightweight firestick) and like the idea of the SDHQ brackets. The last fender mount I had still rubbed the paintwork even with protection film.

NHOverland

Reaction score
Yea, I'm trying to decide which way to go. I like that stubby for the "GMRS" SHTF radio, but also need to put up a CB whip (thinking lightweight firestick) and like the idea of the SDHQ brackets. The last fender mount I had still rubbed the paintwork even with protection film.
I used the SDHQ with Midland extensions. GMRS and HAM, I also have larger gain antenna for both to swap on longer trips. PSX_20201212_221312.jpgPSX_20201212_221325.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread