Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9 Speaker Alpine disappointment, speakers the same as the base 8.4

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Today I removed my 2 dash and 4 door speakers from my 2022 3500 Bighorn with the 12.1 Alpine to install the Pioneer TS-G690 OM 6x9 and Kicker 46CSC354 OM dash speakers that I removed out of my 2019 Ram 2500 with the 8.4 base system. I removed the speakers from the Alpine system only to find out it was the same speakers as the base 8.4 from my 2019 2500, what a disappointment. While I was at it I pulled the 18mm bolts from the seat mounts that hold the subwoofer in and played with the wiring by unplugging and re-installing it seeing how well the subwoofer worked and that was abysmal with Get Your Roll on from Big Tymers.

I only got the Alpine system as it was part of the Tech Package when I ordered my 2022. The system sounds way better with the Pioneers and Kicker speakers and sub disconnected plus I gained all that space under the seat.

whitexc

Reaction score
I've never been a big audio guy and this has been beat around quite a bit but I like my "upgraded" Alpine system. That said I didn't listen to a bare bones system and I also paid extra for mine so maybe that's why it sounds better lol. Glad you got yours tuned up.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
If the speakers are the same, its amplification that is the difference. While they didn't sound fantastic, when I put good clean power to my oem speakers in my 99 Superduty, it sounded good.

kevin588127

Reaction score
The base speakers in my 2014 1500 actually had great sound just by upgrading the head unit. The bass and mids were great but they lacked clarity and a high range. I eventually replaced them with JBLs and was really happy with it. I plan on doing the same upgrade on my 2500 when I get it. Those JBLs are very efficient and don't take alot of power to provide decent bass. I just sat in my buddies 22 larimie with the harmon kardon. maybe it was the way he had the sound setting set but I was not impressed.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Most of the "branded" systems (Alpine, Harmon, etc) components being used are still crap. Manufacturers basically are paying for the license/right to use the name - you are not getting anything remotely close to the quality of the component of that brand as you do when you buy them yourself.

Ram - at least in the ... 8 or so I've owned since 2014, also continues to force the front door speakers to basically just be a 2 way "mid range" speaker in the front doors, with no ability to change that w/out a full rip & replace. So even when putting in JBL, Kicker (all of which I've done on each Ram) you still end up with the same 2 way sound at the front.

I'm not alone saying this, but being I've done this now multiple times, quite simply the best & cheapest/easiest upgrade is actually just replacing those 2 3 1/4" dash speakers in each corner.

All this is one of the main reasons why I didn't go with the "Laramie B" package on my order because for the most part is looked like it was about $3k upgrade for getting the HK sound and there's no way what they are using is worth $3k.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Most of the "branded" systems (Alpine, Harmon, etc) components being used are still crap. Manufacturers basically are paying for the license/right to use the name - you are not getting anything remotely close to the quality of the component of that brand as you do when you buy them yourself.

Ram - at least in the ... 8 or so I've owned since 2014, also continues to force the front door speakers to basically just be a 2 way "mid range" speaker in the front doors, with no ability to change that w/out a full rip & replace. So even when putting in JBL, Kicker (all of which I've done on each Ram) you still end up with the same 2 way sound at the front.

I'm not alone saying this, but being I've done this now multiple times, quite simply the best & cheapest/easiest upgrade is actually just replacing those 2 3 1/4" dash speakers in each corner.

All this is one of the main reasons why I didn't go with the "Laramie B" package on my order because for the most part is looked like it was about $3k upgrade for getting the HK sound and there's no way what they are using is worth $3k.
That would probably explain why the sound quality was so much better out of mine with a head unit replacement. I replaced the uconnect 3 with an s150.

Deki

Reaction score
I just pulled my dash speakers from my 2022 PW with the Alpine and the dash speakers were pretty substantial and looked much bigger and heavier magnet wise than the base speakers in my buddy's Big Horn.

Riddick

Reaction score
I just pulled my dash speakers from my 2022 PW with the Alpine and the dash speakers were pretty substantial and looked much bigger and heavier magnet wise than the base speakers in my buddy's Big Horn.
Do you have a pic of your stock dash speakers?

Deki

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of your stock dash speakers?
I do. The magnets were almost the same size and weight as the Reference 3032cfx

Attachments

• 20220217_150344.jpg
    20220217_150344.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220217_150339.jpg
    20220217_150339.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 80

Riddick

Reaction score
I do. The magnets were almost the same size and weight as the Reference 3032cfx
Thanks, those were the same ones my 22 with the Alpine had. They sounded terrible, I swapped in some cheap kickers and it changed drastically, for the better.

Stommer61

Reaction score
I have a 2021 BH 2500 cummins
How difficult is it do change the dash speakers? Ty

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Pretty easy. Pop the covers and there are two bolts to remove. You will need an adapter for the wiring. When purchasing from Crutchfield they are included with the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread